03-19-09, 11:01 AM   #1
A Murloc Raider
Lightbulb Simple FuBar addon - AddictFu (for addicts who want to limit the time spent playing)

Hi! Sorry that my first post is a request but I figured this addon might be pretty useful for a lot of people and I haven't found any that would fulfill the function.

So, one day a friend of mine asked me how much time I spend playing WoW. I use XFire but wasn't online at the moment so I replied that it's 500 hours total (during approx. 1.5 years of having WoW). Damn, I was wrong.
When I got online I wondered if what I told him was accurate. I logged on XFire and saw the number 900 on my status page. That wouldn't be so bad if XFire wouldn't log the time spent playing during the last 7 days. I was extremely shocked by seeing the number 68 there! I played for 68 hours in 7 days! That's nearly 10 hours a day! From that moment I swore to limit my playing.

Now the addon idea. It's nice to have /played showing how much time you spent playing a character. There are also addons that tell you how much time you spent playing all characters. However, there is no addon that would tell you how much time you spent playing in the last 24 hours, 7 days, 30 days, etc. I would very much like to see those statistics (preferably on the FuBar) so I'd know, for example, when to stop playing for the day.

I had in mind an addon that would display multiple playing statistics in the tooltip (session, 24 hours, 7 days, etc.) and could be configured to display any one statistic in the FuBar text area. It would be a minor challenge to design an efficient data structure for the specific task, but other than that, it seems pretty straightforward. To prevent the data structure getting bloated, data older than the longest statistic should be automatically erased. The data should also be recorded with at least a 5-minute resolution.

So, what do you think? Are you up to the task?
03-19-09, 12:07 PM   #2
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Actually if this was a tiny addon I would be very interested in using it.

Hope someone utilizes the idea.
03-31-09, 04:46 AM   #3
A Murloc Raider
It would be very tiny UI-wise. The only problem is choosing the right structure to store the information in (to allow floating n-day stats).

The graphical representation of the data could be like this:
Code:
-------------------
     @ 32h              <-- Fubar (text = watched value)
--+---------------+
  | session:   2h |
  | 1-day:     8h |     <-- Fubar tooltip (click = set watched value)
  | 7-day:    32h |
  | 30-day:  122h |
  +---------------+
It could even stop tracking when you're afk to get better 'addiction' stats

Last edited by 1001101 : 03-31-09 at 04:49 AM.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Simple FuBar addon - AddictFu (for addicts who want to limit the time spent playing)