09-17-06, 02:19 PM   #1
0Blackmage0
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
A Request if possable

**Location of member that are not in your party or raid group**

OK, this idea just hit me while i was doing a usual search for people on my friends list, i was wondering if it is possable to create an addon that would place a little circle on hte minimap/world map for where your friends are (so long as they too had the addon). My thoughts were that using a system like map notes have the addon on each client send they other people on there friends list there coordinates in a predefined channel so that it would make there location on the world map if they are not in your party (maybe using a different looking icon) the system wouldnt have to be perfectly accurate, but say that the addon broadcasts some information over the sync channel.
Like:

&NSAGEOFSHADOW &RUNDEAD &L60 &AMAGE &ZTARNIS &C38,50

&N<NAME> Player Name
&R<RACE> Player Race
&L<LEVEL> Player Level
&A<CLASS> Player Class
&Z<ZONE> Current Zone
&C<COORDS> Coordinates of player

and have a message like that repeat every so often(around every 5 seconds), the addon could use that information to create a marker(like the party one) for the location, if the addon is sent the same coordinates for 2 or more pleayer then have it create a list at the location. To handle players going offline if the addon does not recive information on the target in X seconds then remove the note. And if the coordinates change for a player then move note to new coordinates.

I have very slim knowlage for LUA or any other scripting so i cant make the addon myself but if anyone wants there is the basic ideas for an addon that would show where your friends/guildies are in the worldmap/minimap if they are not in your raid/party

PM me if you have and questions as to how this might work
09-20-06, 12:09 PM   #2
Paulbino
A Murloc Raider
I have not seen this in a Friends List format... but here is what I think might work. All of your friends would need to have the addon to be seen, but then I guess it could be set to broadcast over channels based on your name and search for all names on your buddy list. For example:

Your username is Derrick and you have a player named Kerrick and one named Werrick on your friends list. All of them have the addon installed.

The addon takes your username and broadcasts it to the channel FMDerrick. Your friends are broadcast in the channels FMKerrick and FMWerrick. The addon sees the name Kerrick and Werrick on your friends list and so it looks for the channels FMKerrick and FMWerrick.

It would transmit over your channel a command relaying the Map you are on and the Coordinates. (It could also send things like level, class, etc, but I don't see why this is important as you can see that from your friends list.) Your friend's Addon sees that over this channel and translates the information. For example, Kerrick's addon would see:
[20. FMDerrick]: Elwynn Forest 56,22

It takes the map your friend is on, finds those coordinates, and if those coordinates are on your friend's MiniMap it would display a blip. It could probably be the same as the Group blip but Blue or something. Your coordinates would have to be transmitted pretty often (every three to five seconds) and the locations wouldn't be completely accurate, but it could be done.

A major problem might be that this would be a pretty heavy addon, as it would be sending and reading messages pretty constantly.

I don't have the coding know-how to do this though... could someone tackle this or is it too much fluff?

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » A Request if possable