08-27-10, 12:11 PM   #1
litesung
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Request: ShadowUI Minimalist

Details on the UI

Hello, I am a fan of minimalist UI's, and I came across these pictures from the WoW forums. Unfortunately, the user who posted the pictures has quit or is inactive, so I could not request this UI from them. I created an original thread above on the WoW forums for this UI, except I am having difficulty creating it with my lack of knowledge of WoW itself(I'm new to the game), and especially more lack of knowledge of how UI's work. Some users have posted tips and help on how I can create this UI, but I am still having extreme difficulty replicating it, and decided to come here to ask for professional advice.

Requested Screen Resolution:
1366x768 (This is the resolution I have on my laptop)

I was also wondering if the center box of the UI(in the pictures) could be lowered a little more. This is preferred however not necessary.
I can also provide details on which addons I use in my next post if needed.
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR TIME!

P.S. Someone stated that the font used is found here.

Pictures:
"Combat"
"Basic"
"Casting"
"Etc."

Last edited by litesung : 08-27-10 at 12:17 PM.
08-27-10, 12:28 PM   #2
litesung
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Addons I use

These are the addons I currently use. Since I am new, I do appreciate recommendations for other addons and/or replacements to existing ones that I am using. (Such as using GBoT[Bag of Tricks] instead of Minimalist)

I do use some of these ingame, and turn off most of them with the ACP(addon control panel) when I am not using them.

LIST:
Name = Summary

_Corpse = Corpse status
ACP (Addon Control Panel) = Control Addons Ingame
Alt-Tab Toggle = Force game to fullscreen when certain events occur
ArkInventory = Organized (one-bag)
ArmoryQuickLink = Add "quicklink" when clicking name in chatbox
AutoLoot = Toggle Autoloot
BangAutoAmmo = [Hunter] Use certain ammo in certain situations
Bindings Reminder = Show keyboard on key bindings page
BuyEmAll = Buy items in bulk at vendors
CastingBarTimer = Timer on default castbar
cError = Removes spammed error messages
DBM (Deadly Boss Mods) = Must have for raiding
DDuel = Decline duel requests from non-guild/friends
Friend Color = Color friends names in friendlist
GBoT = Minimalist: auto-ressurect,repair,openall, etc.
GCD Sound Error Remover = Removes annoying spam spell sound
GFW Feedomatic = [Hunter] Feeds your pet
GunSilencer = Changes gunshot sound (Clientsided)
HideChatButton = Hide chat button in bottom left corner
ItemLinkMacro = Link items in Macro
Leatrix GFX = More options for gfx for older computers
Moniker = Rename RealID friends
Nauticus = Zeppelin & Boat info
oGlow = Items have color glow
Omen = Threat meter
Outfitter = Special outfits in different situations
Postal = Adds "OpenAll" in mailbox
RatingBuster = Ratings on items
Recipe Radar = Shows recipe locations
Recount = Improve rotations
sct (Scrolling Combat Text) = Info in combat text
ShutUp = Block all whispers
SimplePercent = Percent HP next to character frame
TinyPad = Notepad
Titan Panel = Information Panel
TomTom = Waypoints
VisualHeal = [Healers] Shows healing done
WhereToNow = Suggestions for where to be at x level
xcalc = In-game Calculator

Last edited by litesung : 08-27-10 at 01:32 PM.
08-27-10, 02:56 PM   #3
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
To be honest I think you're best off using oUF to try and recreate the unitframes, although that might take a while of learning.

To replace addons, here's a few:

ArkInventory -> Stuffing
CastingBarTimer -> You can do this in oUF
Friend Color -> yClassColor (applies to more frames, it's neat)
Omen -> sThreatMeter2 (do a google search for this)
Outfitter -> Default blizzard equipment manager? Works fine for me.
RatingBuster -> Do you need this? Personal preference ofc.
Recount -> TinyDPS, but if you use it for a detailed spell breakdown then stick with Recount.
SimplePercent -> You can do this in oUF
TinyPad -> Try using the default Windows/Mac notepad
Titan Panel -> LynStats
VisualHeal -> oUF_HealComm
WhereToNow -> Ask friends!
xcalc -> Use the default computer calc

Generally you really have a lot of addons. If you like minimalism, then you should always ask yourself "Do I really need this? Is it really bothersome if I don't have this?" Only if the answer is yes to those questions, get it, otherwise don't. Less is more.

Hope I helped a little.
08-27-10, 06:58 PM   #4
ravagernl
Proceritate Corporis
Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
xcalc: /dump 5 * 6, /dump 8 / 16 etc. No need for a calculator

OT: I'd really try find the graphic textures before remaking this ui
08-27-10, 09:58 PM   #5
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

The originals should be lurking in a media pack somewhere on this site. If not I can try and get a hold of the original artist as I have copies kicking around.

EDIT:

In fact take a peek in this DL and look in the folder for Gideon's shadow files.

The art in the above UI are modified bits of shadow ui.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor

Last edited by MidgetMage55 : 08-27-10 at 10:02 PM.
10-03-10, 08:50 PM   #6
litesung
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Alright, I tried and failed... and I still couldn't do it. The truth is even more clear that I do not know what I am doing at all. I have no experience with making my own UI... so I think I will resort to asking once again, can someone make this UI for me?
10-03-10, 09:23 PM   #7
Coote
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Originally Posted by litesung View Post
Alright, I tried and failed... and I still couldn't do it. The truth is even more clear that I do not know what I am doing at all.
What part has you stumped? If it's importing the panels into KGPanels, that's one of the easiest steps.

The more difficult part would be the unit frames, but there's a UI laying around that uses a similar setup made with oUF. All you'd really need to do is modify the scale of them frames to get the look you want.

Other than that, it's just picking, and placing whatever square minimap addon you prefer, whatever button mod you prefer, as well as chat to get a similar overall effect.

If you insist, I might help you, but I will not completely build it for you. The best way to learn is to do some of the work yourself, and the knowledge gained is definitely worth it. This comes from personal experience.

"This is the fifteen-thousandth four hundredth and ninety-eighth occurence".
10-03-10, 11:16 PM   #8
litesung
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Actually, I'm having trouble with even starting. I am new to WoW, and am also new to coding(no experience whatsoever), and I especially don't know enough about any addons that can assist me in setting up everything.

The whole time I've been playing around with the RealUI settings trying to mimic some of the settings to produce this, but I am completely lost.

Help would be very much appreciated

I want to start from scratch, rather than playing with the RealUI settings... so I think that would be my first step >.< haha...

Hopefully if I ever complete this, I can release it into the public for others to enjoy.

If it's possible, I'd like to make this before I actually begin playing WoW (was planning on purchasing game time today, but your offer has inspired me to wait until I finish this project before officially playing WoW again)

x)
10-03-10, 11:36 PM   #9
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

Well the issue here is you need a way to test layouts so you will need game time to do so.

That being said you can get your feet wet just working with existing addons for the general stuff. You don't have to start by coding anything. Use addons that in game configs to get started. Learn the ropes of layout and design and the quirks that come with it.

You can of course dive right in and go right for addons that use Lua configuration. It is entirely up to you.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
10-04-10, 12:01 AM   #10
Coote
A Scalebane Royal Guard

For the whole center, which is pretty much the one main thing that differentiates it from most UIs, that can be done in about 5 minutes with KGPanels, a minimap mod (there are several of these), and either Bartender/Dominos/any other bar mod. Most of the mods needed to pull this off have their own in-game configs that are fairly easy to work with. Aside from KGPanels, I'd recommend any of the necessary mods to a new player.

10-04-10, 06:49 PM   #11
litesung
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Hi everyone, Okay so I finally got back home from school and I believe this weekend I should have time to buy some game time and then attempt making the UI. Although I also have a few questions... Currently I am using RealUI and for some odd reason, the "arcane shot" button keeps popping up in the center of my screen like this during random times. Here is a picture:

Also, I was wondering how to skin bars and other things... and if it were possible to edit some of the RealUI settings to provide the look of the above UI(Shadowui minimalist).
10-04-10, 08:20 PM   #12
Dawn
A Molten Giant

Don't get addicted to World of UIcraft before even playing the game.

There's plenty of time for this at max level.

Just play the game...

Btw, that Arcane shot icon pop'ing up is most likely some sort of cooldown tracker that tells you that you can use the ability again.

"neeh the game wont be remembered as the game who made blizz the most money, it will be remembered as the game who had the most QQ'ers that just couldnt quit the game for some reason..."

10-04-10, 11:16 PM   #13
Coote
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Also, I was wondering how to skin bars and other things... and if it were possible to edit some of the RealUI settings to provide the look of the above UI(Shadowui minimalist).
As good as RealUI is, you won't be able to get a similar look as what you want using it. Your best bet is to start from scratch. The artwork was linked in a post above, and all that's required to load and set the frames up is KGPanels. Then, just pick up Bartender (or Dominos), and a square minimap addon, and you pretty much have it done. Finish off with a HUD of some sort for the unitframes.

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...xturePack.html
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...-kgPanels.html
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...artender4.html
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...5-Dominos.html
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...MidgetMap.html
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...-aMinimap.html
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...267-wMmap.html
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...neMinimap.html
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...I-Minimap.html
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...F_FavHUD2.html

So, grab the art, KGPanels, either Dominos, or Bartender, one of the map addons, and then oUF_FavHUD2. That should be what you need to get the UI rolling. Add in any wanted extras afterwards.

10-06-10, 04:30 PM   #14
litesung
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

I actually have no idea what that arcane cooldown timer is, and I am having trouble finding the addon that is associated with it... i will provide an addon list, and i was wondering if you guys could help me locate the addon associated with the buff-timer cooldown thing...

ArkInventory
BadBoy
ButtonFacade
Bartender4
Chatter
Fizzle
Ghost: Pulse
IceHUD
InFlight
Mapster
MikScrollingBattleText
nibChatTabs
Omen
OmniCC
PitBull UnitFrames
RangeDisplay
RatingBuster
RealUI
SatrinaBuffFrames
Skada
Skinner
Threat Plate Options
TidyPlates
TidyPlates : Clean Plates Options
TipTop
TomTom

Anyways... I noticed that RealUI had it's own set of customizeable options, and I was wondering if anyone would help me create an addon to customize my UI options once I finished setting everything up.

I really like how RealUI has everything in it's location, so my goal when making the new UI, is to have it as similar to RealUI, such as the mini-map style(in center like in first post pictures), invisible hotkeys(the ones that fade but appear when in combat or when ctrl is pressed), the bottom + sign in the bottom right corner that provides some functions(i still don't know what it's for)...Basically, a similar UI to RealUI that performs similarily(same functions) to RealUI, except has a different interface(The one above in first post).

I was about to purchase a 60 day game time card but I decided to save it until this weekend. I'm still not sure if I should start playing WoW again(after almost 5 years break). But I'm not sure...(help me decide please x) )
10-06-10, 06:11 PM   #15
litesung
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

PS: Is there an addon that shows the location of your friends that are online on the minimap + world map?
Oh, and for some reason when I hover over items in chat for RealUI, I can't see the item stats, and I can't click on the item, or ctrl+click to view item on my character, how do I fix that?

I also don't really know how to use the files that I downloaded... I'm not sure how to attach them to WoW and how to upload them or edit them and whatnot.

Last edited by litesung : 10-06-10 at 10:26 PM.
10-07-10, 03:20 AM   #16
Coote
A Scalebane Royal Guard

the buff-timer cooldown thing...

Ghost: Pulse
There ya go.

PS: Is there an addon that shows the location of your friends that are online on the minimap + world map?
Cartographer used to do this if your friend were also using it, I think. Unfortunately, Cartographer is pretty much dead these days.

I also don't really know how to use the files that I downloaded... I'm not sure how to attach them to WoW and how to upload them or edit them and whatnot.
Having trouble installing addons?
Importing KGPanels art.

Last edited by Coote : 10-07-10 at 03:24 AM.
10-07-10, 05:52 AM   #17
Jigain
A Molten Giant

Blizzard doesn't by default send out player positions, excluding raid and party members, so in order to see someone else's position you'll need to run an addon with that functionality, and your friend will need the same addon or a compatible one.

Carbonite can show the position of other Carbonite users, but beyond that and the aforementioned Cartographer, I don't know of any other addons that'll do it.
10-08-10, 06:27 PM   #18
litesung
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Crap, I had a few questions this morning before I went to school, but now that I'm home and available to type them... I actually forgot them. ._.

Maybe I will remember later but when I do I will post them up ;o

But I do have one question right now... do you guys know the best Fraps-type recording software to record videos on computer? Paid programs are alright, since I do have the money for them... I want the best quality programs Do you guys recommend any?

My other questions... I'll edit or repost when I remember them >.<

Okay I remembered one question: When I'm on WoW, normally with the standard GUI, you can click on items in your chat list, and you can also ctrl+click to equip them right...? well I can't do that right now with RealUI, and for some reason I can't ctrl+click, or even click to view the stats of those items, or even mouse-hover over the items like in the standard GUI... is there a setting that was changed in chatter that I should look for? I ended up messing up my settings even more so I had to reinstall the RealUI.

Another remembered question: Is there an addon that auto-declines duels from certain people..? I think RealUI has a built-in junk seller and a built-in auto-repair and other things... but I'm looking for an addon that also does auto-decline duel, auto-accept group invite/party invite.. w.e., auto-accept ressurections, auto-ressurect(after dying)... stuff like that. almost like a minimalist addon, except it is customizeable and doesn't interfere much with RealUI... is there an addon like that?

Last edited by litesung : 10-08-10 at 07:14 PM.
10-09-10, 12:58 AM   #19
Jigain
A Molten Giant

Another remembered question: Is there an addon that auto-declines duels from certain people..? I think RealUI has a built-in junk seller and a built-in auto-repair and other things... but I'm looking for an addon that also does auto-decline duel, auto-accept group invite/party invite.. w.e., auto-accept ressurections, auto-ressurect(after dying)... stuff like that. almost like a minimalist addon, except it is customizeable and doesn't interfere much with RealUI... is there an addon like that?
The one I use is called simply AutoDecline. It can automatically decline duels, guild charter signature requests, guild invites, and party invites, with options to allow friends, guildies and the last five people you whispered to to invite you. It doesn't auto-accept anything though.

Word of warning, it hasn't been updated for well over a year, and while it still works I do believe it won't be continued into Cataclysm.
10-10-10, 03:38 PM   #20
litesung
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Auto-Decline? What about "minimalist" I heard it was a good auto-accept addon but I know it hasn't been updated in such a long time.

PS does anyone know a good recording software like fraps?

OH YEAH and for some reason, when I mouse-over items in chat box, I don't see their details or anything. I'm using Chatter.. and the addons listed above. Is there a way to fix it? I used to be able to ctrl+click them too but apparently I cannot interact with items linkd in the chat box. How do I fix that?

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Request: ShadowUI Minimalist