02-10-10, 03:14 PM   #1
drapeta
A Defias Bandit
Spell Book - Spell Rearranging

I looked around but didn't see anything like this
So for the more dynamic and smarter people out there..

There are anal retentive people like me, who would really like to be able to arrange their spells inside of thier spellbooks so that it makes sense to them

For example: Druid has four different sets of things under thier feral spells
It would be so nice if I could group them myself so that all the cat spells, tree, moonkin, and bear spells were close to each other.

There are other such things but this is just something i noticed which was absent. Perhaps it is not possible to rearrange the spell book, if not then, thanks for reading.
02-10-10, 03:55 PM   #2
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I've never seen anything like that, and not sure if anything like that would even be possible.
02-10-10, 05:50 PM   #3
drapeta
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by Petrah View Post
I've never seen anything like that, and not sure if anything like that would even be possible.
That could be why it doesn't exist!
02-10-10, 06:06 PM   #4
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by drapeta View Post
That could be why it doesn't exist!
Mmmmmaybe!
02-10-10, 07:00 PM   #5
Shadowed
Premium Member
Featured
Originally Posted by Petrah View Post
I can't think of any reason it wouldn't be possible, a pain to do thought.
02-10-10, 08:03 PM   #6
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Shadowed View Post
I can't think of any reason it wouldn't be possible, a pain to do thought.
That was my thought. My concerns were the functions that use its position in the spellbook to get its information. Does it use a fixed spellbook system or one that we could set up ... but would be an interesting and erm maybe fun project rofl.
02-10-10, 08:45 PM   #7
Shadowed
Premium Member
Featured
I've never really played the spellbook code, but you would likely have to reimplement the entire thing rather than hijacking Blizzards.
02-10-10, 08:46 PM   #8
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
iirc, the reasoning for this addon existing is not for a lack of trying. It had to do with taint and needing to still be able to use the spellbook in combat.

Then again, if you created your very own spellbook addon to completely replace the default spellbook (instead of modify it) then this might work...
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

02-10-10, 09:22 PM   #9
Shadowed
Premium Member
Featured
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
iirc, the reasoning for this addon existing is not for a lack of trying. It had to do with taint and needing to still be able to use the spellbook in combat.

Then again, if you created your very own spellbook addon to completely replace the default spellbook (instead of modify it) then this might work...
I'm not sure about dragging spells, but if you write your own spellbook you could use the secure wrapper system and a lot of caching to keep it working on combat. But that's a lot of work for something you don't use that often.
02-10-10, 09:33 PM   #10
drapeta
A Defias Bandit
I have no idea how difficult something like this might be. So please excuse my impertinence. I can also see that it wouldn't necessarily be used that often except during the levelling process.

For someone like me, I would be most likely to use it either to help teach myself combinations of spells, or to group buffs/debuffs/assault/def spells etc together depending on what is called for for any given character.

I am flattered that it is even being discussed.
Thank you for reading it.
02-10-10, 09:36 PM   #11
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Yeah, definitely one of those projects to do as more a learning project than a functional project. As an author you would probably have to dig into a large portion of the interface system to get it working. Definitely sounds like a hard, long term educational project.
02-10-10, 09:38 PM   #12
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Originally Posted by drapeta View Post
I have no idea how difficult something like this might be. So please excuse my impertinence. I can also see that it wouldn't necessarily be used that often except during the levelling process.

For someone like me, I would be most likely to use it either to help teach myself combinations of spells, or to group buffs/debuffs/assault/def spells etc together depending on what is called for for any given character.

I am flattered that it is even being discussed.
Thank you for reading it.
No problem. Ideas don't exist until someone thinks of them. The question now lies whether the work involved is worth the time that will be spent on it with it being used so little in the long term.
02-11-10, 10:36 AM   #13
nickyjean
Premium Member
Premium Member
I was reading through this and was wondering about an option that might be a cross between ArkInventory and Learning Aid.

Basically it is about re-arranging the spell book. If I were to rearrange my spellbook I would want to do it with the ease that I do with ArkInventory. Using the rules to sort Feral Skill for Druid for example. The possibilities of showing ranks for those times when you need it. How nice it would be to have a clickable button to show your duel specs spells (greyed out ofcourse) even if not in that spec.

And when learning spells a possible learning aid feature to help you assign the new spells when received to your bars and your spellbook.

I do think it would be an awesome addition. I hope OP gets their way
02-11-10, 05:52 PM   #14
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Rofl, Nicky, that was something that jumped in my mind. In Aion your new skills have a little sparkles around the buttons in your spellbook to show you have just learnt them recently so that you know which ones you may need to add to your screen set up.

One area that may be a bit complex, not ruling out the other complex areas of course, would be identifying, without a big database of skills, where a new skill/ability belongs.
02-14-10, 07:39 PM   #15
arkayenro
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by nickyjean View Post
Basically it is about re-arranging the spell book. If I were to rearrange my spellbook I would want to do it with the ease that I do with ArkInventory.
while ive been looking at it recently (mostly on the professions side), i'm not sure AI could handle the actual spell book - i could probably make a non-combat version (view only with out of combat drag capabilities) but i think thats the most that can be done via AI itself without a re-write to use secure wrappers - and im not sure thats worth the effort as i dont recall people needing to cast spells from their spell book while in combat on a regular basis - its why we have action bar mods.

after a quick glance the biggest issue seems to be the UpdateSpells( ) function, its internal (you cant see the actual code) and it seems to request spell info and then use the returned data to display that page of spells in the spell book - which means you cant just hijack it for your purposes or even learn from it.

blizzards ui is built around a single page display so the data returned from server requests tend to not have 'page' identifiers, ie you can request 5 tabs worth of vault data and you'd have no way of telling which return is for which tab - the spell book is highly likely built the same way - any return from the server is just used to update the current page so they dont need to include identifier data for their purpose.

getting data like that is very messy to deal with so hopefully theres another way to get it, although you may not be able to differentiate between which trees a spell should be in.

somehow i dont think its going to be easy for whoever decides to build something like this.
02-14-10, 08:23 PM   #16
Praesagus
A Theradrim Guardian

I would agree to do it you would probably want to write your own spellbook and then add the logic to it for filtering/sorting.

I started (barely) a project close to this because I found that whenever I respec, it's a pain in the arse to have to go through and reassign buttons etc (although profiles fixes most of that problem now).

But....I had a simple one liner of code that read all my skills and printed them out....that was the easy part. What I wanted was a mod that would read all my spells/abilities and I could drag and drop each onto my buttons...if I did a simple drag, it was removed from the mod and added to the buttons...if I did something like shift drag (abilities you might want on multiple bars....stances/forms for instance) it left the ability in the mod and added it to the button.

My other projects, laziness, lack of motivation, procrastination and real life all won out though.

If I find/didn't delete the initial mod/one liner I wrote, I'll post it here.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Spell Book - Spell Rearranging