04-27-08, 03:23 PM   #1
Javannalynn
A Defias Bandit
Question Only getting 10-12 FPS. Brand new computer?

I just bought a new acer from best buy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1203815923631

That one. I played wow on my old compaq fine and figure this would even run it better. But i got it all downloaded and updated and loaded up my mods and log in only to find 10-12 fps. Very jolty. Turned everything down turned off mods, turned of anything running outside wow, and reset the modem and nothing works. Anyone with any ideas....
04-27-08, 03:30 PM   #2
Gorgal
A Murloc Raider
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
As far as i can tell thats onboard graphics i guess thats your problem?
04-27-08, 03:31 PM   #3
erica647
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Originally Posted by Javannalynn View Post
I just bought a new acer from best buy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1203815923631

That one. I played wow on my old compaq fine and figure this would even run it better. But i got it all downloaded and updated and loaded up my mods and log in only to find 10-12 fps. Very jolty. Turned everything down turned off mods, turned of anything running outside wow, and reset the modem and nothing works. Anyone with any ideas....
I suspect a driver issue... you should be sure you have the latest motherboard chipset, video, sound, and lan card drivers installed.
04-28-08, 12:44 AM   #4
Gemini_II
A Molten Giant

While the onboard GPU is a bit on the weak side, I'd follow erica647's suggestion and check drivers first. All the ones she listed can make a huge difference. If you're technical or know someone who is, sometimes your BIOS settings could be incorrect.

04-28-08, 12:59 AM   #5
bcsbcs
A Murloc Raider
You dont state what screen resolution its running at, if its 1600x1200 or somthing higher with anti-alising/multisampling on x4 or x8 or even x16 then your going to have problems with an onboard card but you dont really need to have antialising/multisampling on in wow, it just makes thing a bit smoother edged. You can check this in WoW in the video options.

Also its common for new pc's to be completely loaded down with unnecessary programs that load at startup, thing to do is go into task manager ctrl+alt+del and check that the cpu is ticking over about 10% or less before you load WoW. if not look at the cpu usage % for a probable cause.

Not that it would cause 12fps slowdown but you could try a defrag as WoW becomes very segmented when its first downloaded/patched, also many many files make up WoW and if you have a virus checker thats not working too efficiently it can cause jitters but unlikely to be the sole cause.

Regards

BS

Last edited by bcsbcs : 04-28-08 at 01:02 AM.
05-04-08, 10:53 AM   #6
Javannalynn
A Defias Bandit
Well I did find out that it is my video card drivers problem is i can't get them to update. I'm not that computer savy but i know more then the average person. If anyone can recomed some kind of help here? Also my sound card is not installed properly either.
05-04-08, 12:53 PM   #7
Martinus
An Aku'mai Servant
One of my friend had a similar problem. On his laptop he have an nVidia 8600m GT and the most he could get was 15-20fps.

In the long we found out that he were playing in window mode. When he changed in full screen mode he got 60fps.

Hope this can help.
05-04-08, 03:48 PM   #8
10sion
A Kobold Labourer
Well according to your computer model you have a Nvida Geforce 7100.
All you have to do is visit the Nvida website. http://http://www.nvidia.com/Downloa...spx?lang=en-us
I suggest picking the driver manually, they usually only have one driver for each series, so it shouldn't be hard to find. GL!

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Only getting 10-12 FPS. Brand new computer?