01-11-06, 04:50 PM   #1
Xageroth
An Aku'mai Servant
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Better myModel/myTargetModel on the way, but ...

So on and off the past week I figured I would dive into my first mod by making a better 3d portrait mod. Between my inexperience with LUA and the quirks of the UI Model's, it's taking me a while to get what I want. Maybe you guys can help me out since my only resource has been wowwiki.

Here's what I have so far ...

That sshot shows 2 of 6 boxes (1 for each party member, 1 for you, and 1 for your target). The bindings are hard coded at the moment, but behind the scenes every visual control is bindable to a mouse key + optional modifier key. For the time being the bindings are:

Rotate+Zoom = CTRL+LeftButton
Pan = CTRL+RightButton
Resize (Bounding Box) = ALT+LeftButton
Drag (Bounding Box) = ALT+RightButton

There's no config menu, no slash commands, the toc build number is wrong, and the code is a bit all over the place because of things I have planned for future features, but I want anyone who is interested to have a look and see if they can fix some of the quirkiness of the 3d models. When no SetPosition() is called, the engine seems to save a setting based on basic model size. Try it out. Target a mid-sized model, position it dead center, then target something like an imp. It will be off the screen at first, position it dead center and change targets around. The settings will save even tho I have no code in place to do that sort of thing. As soon as SetPosition() is used tho, it seems to lose that great ability.

Here's my code (again, this is not a "release", it's a preview at best. please don't nitpick)

Oh ya, and you may want to set ModelCitizen_DeveloperMessagesOn to false in ZuxanaModelCitizen.lua if you don't want to get spammed out. It's useful to me tho.
01-11-06, 05:04 PM   #2
Xageroth
An Aku'mai Servant
Forgot to ask something.

I noticed models won't render if the target is too far away. For example, joining a party with people in other zones. So I have each bounding box set to stay hidden if the distance is too far. My question is how should I go about checking after that point?

I was going to set a flag that a party member had joined and unable to render, then that flag would be triggered in OnUpdate constantly checking the distance until within an appropriate range. After that the flag would turn off, model would render, and OnUpdate would stop checking. Would this be too intense for OnUpdate?
01-14-06, 01:43 AM   #3
Skrunk
A Kobold Labourer
Try:

UnitIsVisible("unit");

That should return if the unit is close enough to render.
01-15-06, 12:00 AM   #4
Filler
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I can't help with any coding, I wish I could, but I'd really like to see this finished.
01-15-06, 01:43 AM   #5
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Xageroth
Forgot to ask something.

I noticed models won't render if the target is too far away. For example, joining a party with people in other zones. So I have each bounding box set to stay hidden if the distance is too far. My question is how should I go about checking after that point?

I was going to set a flag that a party member had joined and unable to render, then that flag would be triggered in OnUpdate constantly checking the distance until within an appropriate range. After that the flag would turn off, model would render, and OnUpdate would stop checking. Would this be too intense for OnUpdate?
It doesn't seem worth the computational cost. I'd consider not having a border. Just let it not render. Whatever unit frames uses it can take care of having something behind it. No sense adding onUpdate code for something that's not that important, I'd say.
01-15-06, 12:56 PM   #6
Xageroth
An Aku'mai Servant
I cleaned it up and put up an initial version.
Still not very customizable but it works great.

I don't know what kind of queue'ing this site has but it should be up soon unless my upload was corrupted.
01-15-06, 04:22 PM   #7
aceracer24
A Theradrim Guardian
your link doesn't seem to take me anyplace can you maybe email me the mod? [email protected]
01-15-06, 04:40 PM   #8
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...fo.php?id=4500
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
01-15-06, 08:16 PM   #9
aceracer24
A Theradrim Guardian
awesome thank you!
01-16-06, 02:46 PM   #10
aceracer24
A Theradrim Guardian
ok I have the mod installed and from what I can tell it's great BUT...the mymodel isn't showing anything but a white representation of myself. I can do everything with it that I can with mytarget which by the way works but the self portrait isn't working fully. Any idea's?

EDIT: ok somehow some way it fixed it's self. Not sure when that happened but mymodel and mytarget model all seem to work. ONe thing I would like to know is, can I get rid of the party models somehow? They are great and all but I'd rather just have self and target . Can you add an option to turn party models off? Otherwise great mod!!!

Last edited by aceracer24 : 01-16-06 at 04:21 PM.
01-17-06, 12:13 AM   #11
aceracer24
A Theradrim Guardian
OK new problems with your mod that I have found. First off I can't hit R to auto reply to anyone. The chat bar won't come up. But if i hit enter the bar will come up with the auto reply filled in. Another problem it seems to cause is party quests mod. I can't shift select my quests to track them.
01-17-06, 01:58 AM   #12
Xageroth
An Aku'mai Servant
I think those two problems are unrelated to my mod.
If you turn off my mod and the problem goes away, let me know tho! Otherwise, I can't imagine why my mod would be doing that.

Also, I set up a thread here for discussion.
01-20-06, 07:38 PM   #13
d3f
A Kobold Labourer
Very cool mod, one question/suggestion. What would be involved with adding a Target of Target Model? Would it involve a simple code edit or alot of work?
02-07-06, 01:15 AM   #14
Dioxyde
A Kobold Labourer
Hey there xageroth I just checked this out and they look very promising! I love the flexibility of being able to resize and pan so easily on the go. A few things I've noticed that I didn't see posted on your comments page but if someone has already told you forgive me.

First thing is that if I zoom my target models way in (so its only showing the head) and then select another target, the setting is lost and it zooms back out and moves the frame a little bit. This only seems to happen when I zoom in. Another thing, and I don't know if this is exactly a bug, but the bounding box can't be moved outside of the screen..so what I mean is if you need to position one of your models in a way where the bounding box would go off the screen a little bit, it won't let you. Anyways thats it, really looking forward to updates!.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » Released AddOns » Better myModel/myTargetModel on the way, but ...