03-24-05, 03:37 PM   #1
Keovar
A Fallenroot Satyr

New patch screwed up mousemove...

I used to move primarily by holding the right mouse button to steer and either holding or releasing the left mouse button to go forward. Now, if I roll the mouse at all between holding the right and then left buttons, the character just turns and stands there. I have to release and re-apply both buttons to move.

I have seen this issue before, usually when exiting one of the core configuration screens, but relogging cleared it. Now even a complete uninstall/reinstall/repatch with no mods leaves the same problem. I have tried disabling the hardware mouse, tried turning off Logitech's extended controls driver, and of course made sure I have the latest drivers, all to no avail.

Of course Blizzard is not going to help, as this last patch has caused tons more technical issues. It interferes with the way I play enough that even after not being able to play the last couple days, now I find myself not really wanting to until it's fixed.

From the other threads I have read, it sounds like Blizzard messed with the way the game interprets mouse drivers, but since I'm apparently the only one who doesn't use or enjoy the rather "robotic" WASD movement, I have a feeling that this is going to remain broken until I quit.
03-24-05, 03:49 PM   #2
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Have you tried posting this in the Blizz tech help forums? You may be pleasantly surprised and get a response from Blizz, but even if you don't; a) you'll make them aware of the problem, and b) you might find out if any others have had the problem and whether anyone else has come up with a fix. Just a thought for consideration. Unfortunately, there isn't anything else I can think of that might be of any help. =/
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
03-24-05, 05:08 PM   #3
Inokis
EQInterface Staff

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I use mouselook all the time without any issues. Since they made some changes possibly there could be a new conflict with some devices.
03-24-05, 08:05 PM   #4
Remelio

The only thing I can think of is clicking off the "Fix Lag" button and maybe turning off "Use Hardware Cursor" - in that order.. try one.. see if it works, then try the other one.

Other than that, will have to wait for a new patch

Also, I agree with Cairenn - post on the blizzard tech forums so they are aware of the problem - that way it can get fixed next patch at very least.

Hope this helps!
04-09-05, 04:26 PM   #5
Keovar
A Fallenroot Satyr

No, I tried turning off the hardware mouse, I said that.

I posted it on the Blizzard support forums both as it's own thread and as a respone to a couple other threads about mouse issues after the last patch. They did not respond, of course. I sent it as an in-game ticket and waited about 4 hours online with no response, then I get an email form letter not long after I log off.

The last time I got an in-game response to a ticket was the beginning of March, they seem to let them wait until you're offline and just send an email. Of course that way they can use form letters and you can't respond to them, so I'm sure it's easier that way.

Anyway, even though the form letter was generic and didn't really directly apply to the situation I described, I tried it. I ended up "fixing" it by installing the generic Microsoft drivers that can't handle half the functions the device is supposed to be able to.

This is Blizzard's answer, their fix... a workaround that involves me gimping my hardware in order to make up for the software crap they broke in the patch. Logitech is a well-known company, not some off-brand, so one would expect a better attempt at real compatibility than that.

The same change that screwed up my mouse functions also screwed up the Z-board keyboards that Blizzard has on their site, and the "fix" there was the same... the Z-board people had to put out drivers that took away functionality.
04-09-05, 04:41 PM   #6
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Not precisely the "fix" you were looking for. =/
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
04-09-05, 07:09 PM   #7
Inokis
EQInterface Staff

What version of the Logitech Mouseware are you using?

I use a trackman wheelmouse without issues.
04-10-05, 07:03 AM   #8
Keovar
A Fallenroot Satyr

It's the "Marble Mouse", which is actually a trackball. It has 2 large and 2 small buttons, and if you click both large ones at the same time, it counts as a 3rd button. I used to be able to configure any of them to different clicks or keystrokes, but the generic MS driver doesn't handle that.

Essentially, both the Z-Board and Logitech drivers used to detect the startup of a game and alter the function of the device a bit to make it work better for the game. Blizzard somehow disabled the ability for WoW's startup to be detected. Z-Board put out drivers to make their keyboard always function in game mode, making it less useful out of game, and for many Logitech users, we have to lose special mouse functions in order to get the mouse to work in the game properly by installing very basic function drivers.

If you don't use mousemove you likely wouldn't notice, but I always do. The only time I move using the keyboard is when I am running a long way and mousing over things as I go.
04-10-05, 12:52 PM   #9
Inokis
EQInterface Staff

Mines a trackball as well. I only have the right left and middle mouse button and use the 9.60.146 mouseware drivers. I exclusively use mouselook as well.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » New patch screwed up mousemove...