11-28-10, 07:25 AM   #1
jaliborc
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
To All "DataBroker Displays" Authors

If you're not an author of a DataBroker display, don't bother reading.

I'm just here to alert authors that one of my addons should break most of DataBroker launcher displays. Why? Until now, DataBroker has only been used for two dataobject types: "launcher" and "data... data... whatever.

The thing is: my addon is using databroker to share other kinds of information. So, if your display is not checking for the dataobject type (.type), or assumes that, if an object is not a "launcher" then it's a "data whatever", it's going to start displaying launchers that do not exist, or simply start trowing out bugs.

As requested, here is what the addon does and what object types it creates/uses:

The addon is Cornucopia. The closest existing addons to it are probably the old & dead Bongos3 or Dominos. So, it lets you configure your interface trough bars (until now, nothing new).
Now here is the big difference: it does not have his own "bars". It comes with a small set of bars that I already have done (all alpha stage), but the bars are provided by registering a dataobject with the "Movable Bar" type.

And it also uses DataBroker for other functionalities. Mostly has an example, the Minimap bar uses "themes" registered trough the library. And I might use it in more situations: fonts, backdrops,... anything that can be shared between addons is a possibility to me.

Last edited by jaliborc : 11-28-10 at 01:30 PM.
11-28-10, 08:40 AM   #2
Nobgul
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by jaliborc View Post
If you're not an author of a DataBroker display, don't bother reading.

I'm just here to alert authors that one of my addons should break most of DataBroker launcher displays. Why? Until now, DataBroker has only been used for two dataobject types: "launcher" and "data... data... whatever.

The thing is: my addon is using databroker to share other kinds of information. So, if your display is not checking for the dataobject type (.type), or assumes that, if an object is not a "launcher" then it's a "data whatever", it's going to start displaying launchers that do not exist, or simply start trowing out bugs.
And what would be the name of your addon?
11-28-10, 08:53 AM   #3
Rilgamon
Premium Member

Premium Member
hmmm, cant think of a type thats not a launcher or a data source
11-28-10, 09:26 AM   #4
Waky
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Originally Posted by nobgul View Post
What he said.
11-28-10, 09:54 AM   #5
jaliborc
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by nobgul View Post
The reason I didn't post the name of the addon is simple: I don't want this "request" to serve as "publicity" for my addon. Just doesn't seem right. Don't want to make a lot of fuss.

Last edited by jaliborc : 11-28-10 at 10:14 AM.
11-28-10, 10:11 AM   #6
Xubera
A Cobalt Mageweaver

if your addon breaks databroker... shouldnt you find another way, not expect the community to find work a rounds for your addon?

▲ ▲ WoWInterface wont let me triforce >.>
11-28-10, 10:17 AM   #7
jaliborc
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by Xubera View Post
if your addon breaks databroker... shouldnt you find another way, not expect the community to find work a rounds for your addon?
My addon does not break DataBroker. If one display breaks because of my addon, it's because they are not doing something they should, that is checking the data object type. I posted here because I know it is common, yet wrong.
It's a slight change: one or two lines of code and it's fixed. And no one is forced to do it, but will break with my addon running too.

Also, this message is for DataBroker display authors. Some already answered and didn't seem worried about it, because they know it's a simple change. You also don't need to be.

Last edited by jaliborc : 11-28-10 at 01:32 PM.
11-28-10, 10:55 AM   #8
Borlox
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

As long as your data objects have a .type attribute that is not "data object", "launcher" or nil (for backwards compatibility), I think most displays won't try to do anything with them.
It's a very good idea to remind the display authors, though!

Edit:
I know at least one other addon that uses non-launcher/d.o. objects: Cork. If your display does not break when using this, it should work with any data object creating addon. But it's important that the .type attribute is set.
11-28-10, 01:28 PM   #9
Xubera
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Originally Posted by jaliborc View Post
My addon does not break DataBroker. If one display breaks because of my addon, it's because they are not doing something they should, that is checking the data object type. I posted here because I know it is common, yet wrong.
It's a slight change: one or two lines of code and it's fixed. And no one is forced to do it, but will break with my addon running too.

Also, this message is for DataBroker display authors. Some already answered and didn't seem angry about it, because they know it's a simple change. You also don't need to be.

Oh dont get me wrong, I am not angry, I dont even use data broker addons (except maybe auditor, but i dont use a bar mod to hold it). I was just confused cause you made it sound like your addon could break other peoples. I was confused on why you chose to code that way instead of finding a way around.

I was unaware that your addon might break other addons because their code isnt right. It was more of an inquisitive statement, not a , "change your ways" statement

▲ ▲ WoWInterface wont let me triforce >.>

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » To All "DataBroker Displays" Authors