01-06-09, 12:23 PM   #2261
spiel2001
nUI's Author

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Warderbrad View Post
OK that makes sense, I am 90% of the time solo. Is there any way in times when you are solo that the target's target would not show up. Or have an option for that?
This is just a suggestion.
Even though you are solo, you still need that bar to determine who or what the mob is targeting. For example, when he suddenly target's himself to heal himself so you can interrupt and similar situations. It also tells you if he's targeting another player other than you and other such things.

Yes... I could add code to see if you're solo and hide the bar but the more of this kind of "gee it would be nice if" code I add, the more bloated nUI becomes and the truth of the matter is that there's almost zero benefit to conditionally hiding the bar. If and when you don't need it, ignore it. I know that sounds trite, but it's not meant to be.

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/

01-06-09, 02:35 PM   #2262
Warderbrad
Premium Member
Premium Member
Originally Posted by spiel2001 View Post
Even though you are solo, you still need that bar to determine who or what the mob is targeting. For example, when he suddenly target's himself to heal himself so you can interrupt and similar situations. It also tells you if he's targeting another player other than you and other such things.
Wouldn't that be seen in the casting bar as well? I am less likely to notice who is in the window at the bottom of the screen than I am to notice the name of the spell the target is casting.

Yes... I could add code to see if you're solo and hide the bar but the more of this kind of "gee it would be nice if" code I add, the more bloated nUI becomes and the truth of the matter is that there's almost zero benefit to conditionally hiding the bar. If and when you don't need it, ignore it. I know that sounds trite, but it's not meant to be.
Would it bloat as much just to give an option to hide it (all the time even)? I realize that you and many others are all about raids and instances and such, I am not and I am sure that nUI would be more appealing to more people if it was optioned for more than just that one subset of the gaming community. The more people it appeals to the more chance of donation for the effort. I know I am on the fence about donating and the main thing that holds me back is that there is little options for turning parts off.

As an aside, a few days ago I mentioned that I turn off the minimap control, and I use SimpleMiniMap to customize it for me (the minimap the way it was is so small I can't see much on it clearly). Anyway when I do this I put the minimap in the upper right hand corner. If I click on the button on the right side of the UI that changes from Map - Minimap - Combatinfo etc then the minimap disappears. I have checked to be sure that the message saying that control of the minimap is turned off. Is there any info or anything you need from me to help diagnose this?

01-06-09, 04:05 PM   #2263
bakes82
A Fallenroot Satyr
What about those with pets who would like to see what their pets heath is when they are solo. Seriously it takes up very little room and whats the point if it shows your heath when your solo, I use that more because then I dont need to look further to the left to see my heath when I want to know what the mobs heath is because thats right, its right there and its convient. I wish there was more options to the HUD like some of the individual HUD mods but I like how NUI is all in one. Ive donated because its a good UI and will again, I dont think hes going to beg/worry about you not donating because you want a minimilasit UI. You could always learn LUA and make your own mods if you wish and it is very solo friendly UI, its not a raid/group only ui as you say seeing as it only supports 10man ATM but hey thats why I have Heal Bot. I use carbonite as my map and I dont have any issues with it so it could be your map mod your having issues with?

01-06-09, 04:10 PM   #2264
neuralassassin
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Ok if your minimap is moving when you hit the info button on the bottom right then you must have the optional add-on nui-minimapinfo panel loaded disable that first otherwise what you are doing will never work
The original position for the minimap is in the middle of all the unit frames the optional add-on moves it to the info panel with recount, omen, the battle map and the combat log so every time you hit that button its calling the minimap back to that spot overriding where you put it

I use simple minimap as well so I know it works
As for the target of target thing if thats keeping you from donating im not sure what to tell you is it really that big of a deal to you? If so dont use it I guess but catching an attitude will get you nowhere here

Last edited by neuralassassin : 01-06-09 at 04:17 PM.

01-06-09, 04:29 PM   #2265
fred
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Could some one please download this skin, it doesn't seem to be packed right.Looks good in the pics though!

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...boardSkin.html

01-06-09, 04:35 PM   #2266
Warderbrad
Premium Member
Premium Member
Originally Posted by neuralassassin View Post
Ok if your minimap is moving when you hit the info button on the bottom right then you must have the optional add-on nui-minimapinfo panel loaded disable that first otherwise what you are doing will never work
The original position for the minimap is in the middle of all the unit frames the optional add-on moves it to the info panel with recount, omen, the battle map and the combat log so every time you hit that button its calling the minimap back to that spot overriding where you put it

I use simple minimap as well so I know it works
I had downloaded all the stuff available trying out options and forgotten about that Info one. Thanks I removed it now so all should be well.

Originally Posted by neuralassassin View Post
As for the target of target thing if thats keeping you from donating im not sure what to tell you is it really that big of a deal to you? If so dont use it I guess but catching an attitude will get you nowhere here
[quote=neuralassassin;114259]

I hadn't meant to get an attitude, when I wrote what I said I wasn't angry or anything. I know the way I play is very unlike most people in that I am not into all the raids and instance stuff. I am trying it but usually it is more confused than fun. The main reason I was asking about being able to option it away is that I was going to use the space in the bottom for more chat room. The current chat area is small and I have semi poor eyesight and so the font I use is a 12 point. The main reason I was looking at nUI was the HUD. There are not many HUD addons out there. I used one before that was MetaHud. It was ok but I liked the appearance of this one better. Is it wrong for me to desire a way to make the interface the best it can for my style of play. As for my comment about donations I was only saying that I want to donate but there are a few minor things that have me still on the fence about using the interface (chat area being a bigger one than the target target thing but if the target target thing were taken care of it would resolve the chat thing for me). I offer sincere apology to anyone who felt insulted by my previous comments, it was not intended as an insult or to be rude.

01-06-09, 04:54 PM   #2267
neuralassassin
A Scalebane Royal Guard

ok what you need to understand is that the addon was not written for you scott has put an immense amount of work into this project and it is all tied together you could not make the chat area bigger without losing the space needed for the other things in the addon such as the 5man 10man and at a later date 25 and 40 man unit frames
Ive seen alot of people that are appealed to just the hud of nui in these forums but at its core thats not what nui is a hud addon it is much more and for your changes to be made where does that leave the rest of nui's users?
so yeah i guess i do think its wrong of you to ask for such changes If you want extremley personalized content take the time to learn lua(which I my self have been trying to do) and make an addon that does what you need
As for the donation thing no one is required to donate I simply do so becuase I appreciate the work thats gone into this and the fact that it is supported so well by the author and some of the community I did not make my desicion based on whether or not the author would make changes for me which no offense seems like what you are saying
Now keep in mind I am not the author of this mod so these are just my opinions

Last edited by neuralassassin : 01-06-09 at 05:04 PM.

01-06-09, 05:14 PM   #2268
neuralassassin
A Scalebane Royal Guard

-Fred i just downloaded the ironleather skin for some reason the author included files outside the folder as well as in they are not needed just copy the folder over as usual it works fine
I sent the author a pm to let him know about it

Last edited by neuralassassin : 01-06-09 at 05:18 PM.

01-06-09, 09:38 PM   #2269
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Wouldn't that be seen in the casting bar as well? I am less likely to notice who is in the window at the bottom of the screen than I am to notice the name of the spell the target is casting.
Yes... it would be seen in the casting bar as well *AFTER* he started the cast. It will appear in the Target-of-target (ToT) bars immediately however.

Would it bloat as much just to give an option to hide it (all the time even)? I realize that you and many others are all about raids and instances and such, I am not and I am sure that nUI would be more appealing to more people if it was optioned for more than just that one subset of the gaming community.
Well... I'm not all about raids or even instancing, actually. So, you're mistaken in that regard. I spend the majority of my time solo questing or grouped with one or two people such as my 10yo daughter.

In any event, the more things you option in the program, the more code it takes to support the options and the more threaded everything gets. I have no problem adding code to option things that make sense, but because it serves a valid functional purpose and is not just a "gee whiz" kind of thing. To me it's the same sort of thing as people who want me to add an option to remove the zoom in and zoom out buttons on the minimap... to which I say: Why? They aren't in your way. If you don't want to use them, ignore them.

Furthermore, to option out one set of bars in the HUD and not the rest would require rewriting the HUD and I'm not going there. If you really really really just have to be rid of those extra bars, then edit the skin file and comment them out.

The more people it appeals to the more chance of donation for the effort. I know I am on the fence about donating and the main thing that holds me back is that there is little options for turning parts off.
Let me make something perfectly clear... I deeply appreciate every donation I receive and am truly grateful to those who are considerate enough to support nUI. But if you think I'm holding my breath for donations, you're sadly mistaken. I average week-to-week about $5 to $10 a week in donations with well over 100,000 downloads now. If I do the math on how many unique people support nUI versus how many download it, it works out to about 1 in every 2000... and you're maybe the second or third person in those 100,000 plus who wanted me to give them that option. I don't think it's going to make a significant difference to be honest.

As an aside, a few days ago I mentioned that I turn off the minimap control, and I use SimpleMiniMap to customize it for me (the minimap the way it was is so small I can't see much on it clearly). Anyway when I do this I put the minimap in the upper right hand corner. If I click on the button on the right side of the UI that changes from Map - Minimap - Combatinfo etc then the minimap disappears. I have checked to be sure that the message saying that control of the minimap is turned off. Is there any info or anything you need from me to help diagnose this?
I see this question's already answered, so I'll not repeat what you already know here.

01-06-09, 09:56 PM   #2270
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Frame rate issues...

Okay -- I have spent a great deal of time testing this issue and I have to say at this point that I am about 95% certain that the problem is not (at least not directly) related to nUI v4.10.00

If I entirely disable nUI, I only see a gain of about 4-5 FPS. If I wander the world solo questing and taking flight paths with no mods enabled what-so-ever I am still seeing intermittent FPS drops, screen tearing and in Dalaran it is not uncommon to see frame rates as low as 6fps with no mods enabled at all and the typical frame rate in Dalaran is around 15fps with no mods.

I am just about certain that the issues we're seeing are related to server and network loading on Bliz's end and, quite likely, some behind the scenes Bliz activity. I know realms like mine (Kargath) are seeing queues of 30 minutes to hours to log in and this is happenning all over the universe of WoW... that kind of activity and network bandwidth consumption cannot go without a price.

I'm quite confident that the random FPS hits and such we're experiencing is related far more to that than to nUI, it just happens to coincide with when I had the time to take on the FPS leak nUI did have and as such, we are all hyper aware of FPS in nUI and presume any FPS slowdowns we see are related to nUI. I don't believe they are at this point.

Of course, I could well be wrong.

Last edited by spiel2001 : 01-06-09 at 10:02 PM.

01-07-09, 08:59 AM   #2271
Marthisdil
An Onyxian Warder
I'm getting reports of intermittent FPS drops in the 4.10.00 release periodically dropping the FPS from 50-60 down to 12 or 14 even in the world at large or solo questing.

Is this an issue everyone is experiencing? Some feedback on who is and is not seeing this issue and if you are seeing it, what kind of FPS drop at what interval(s) and under what conditions would be most helpful.
Scott - I can report that there's still the issue of FPS dying when opening the Jewelcraft token vendor in Dalaran (as of last night).

I haven't experienced as much in slowdowns of FPS that are abnormal, though, outside of that.

Marth

01-07-09, 09:03 AM   #2272
Marthisdil
An Onyxian Warder
Would it bloat as much just to give an option to hide it (all the time even)? I realize that you and many others are all about raids and instances and such, I am not and I am sure that nUI would be more appealing to more people if it was optioned for more than just that one subset of the gaming community. The more people it appeals to the more chance of donation for the effort. I know I am on the fence about donating and the main thing that holds me back is that there is little options for turning parts off.
Except that Scott is writing it FOR HIMSELF - he didn't write it for YOU. Or the 11.5 million WoW subscribers.

He wrote it FOR HIMSELF and chose to SHARE it with the rest of us.

Trying to hold him hostage for your small donation to customize things to YOUR liking won't work. Folks like me will just donate again instead of you trying to buy things that go against the premise of the UI that Scott has written and shared.

You know - you can always write a plugin that modifies some of these things....or just go in the code and remove the offending lines of code yourself.

But Scott is working on far more important things than to worry about recoding a lot of stuff, just for your "blood money"

Scott - don't worry - this guy wasn't ever going to donate to you for your work - although he wrote that he was "on the fence" - smells like utter BS to me.

Us real supporters will continue to donate for your time.

Marth

Marth

01-07-09, 10:29 AM   #2273
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I've read all of Warderbrad's posts, and none of them have warranted being jumped on like this. There was nothing in his tone that was aggressive whatsoever. While I do not agree with some of the things he has said, that doesn't mean I should go balls to the wall and attack the poor guy either.

People need to calm down.

01-07-09, 01:29 PM   #2274
AsheruWolf
Premium Member

Premium Member
Okay -- I have spent a great deal of time testing this issue and I have to say at this point that I am about 95% certain that the problem is not (at least not directly) related to nUI v4.10.00

If I entirely disable nUI, I only see a gain of about 4-5 FPS. If I wander the world solo questing and taking flight paths with no mods enabled what-so-ever I am still seeing intermittent FPS drops, screen tearing and in Dalaran it is not uncommon to see frame rates as low as 6fps with no mods enabled at all and the typical frame rate in Dalaran is around 15fps with no mods.

I am just about certain that the issues we're seeing are related to server and network loading on Bliz's end and, quite likely, some behind the scenes Bliz activity. I know realms like mine (Kargath) are seeing queues of 30 minutes to hours to log in and this is happenning all over the universe of WoW... that kind of activity and network bandwidth consumption cannot go without a price.

I'm quite confident that the random FPS hits and such we're experiencing is related far more to that than to nUI, it just happens to coincide with when I had the time to take on the FPS leak nUI did have and as such, we are all hyper aware of FPS in nUI and presume any FPS slowdowns we see are related to nUI. I don't believe they are at this point.

Of course, I could well be wrong.
I run a AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual-Core 5000+ with 2gb ram and a NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE (Yes its a POS but its all I got so sue me) In most area's due to the video card I get about 30 FPS and in fights it drops to about 15 or so. The tearing effect seems to be an ingame issue rather than a UI issue as I can also run it without any addons and still have the same frame rates and issues in Dalaran. There are leaks in the map all over the city if your a shaman turn on water shield and just walk around to see what I mean where random areas cause charges of your water shield to be used up. It is these leaks that causes the city to lag up a machine and Blizzard as always has said... well we know about the issue and are working on it. No surprise there that they know of a bug and are letting it go.

01-07-09, 02:05 PM   #2275
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Silenia --

First... I agree.

That said, your 2008 epic post is one of the funniest things I've read in a while. I have long said that keyboards should include a bio-feedback mechanism (say 110 volts A/C at a low current?) so programmers could give users a little Pavlovian Response Training when required. ~lol~

Originally Posted by Silenia View Post
I've read all of Warderbrad's posts, and none of them have warranted being jumped on like this. There was nothing in his tone that was aggressive whatsoever. While I do not agree with some of the things he has said, that doesn't mean I should go balls to the wall and attack the poor guy either.

01-07-09, 02:16 PM   #2276
Marthisdil
An Onyxian Warder
Originally Posted by Silenia View Post

And dangling a carrot in front of the horse to try and get something you want for yourself with something like this doesn't make him a "poor guy" either.

if the "poor guy" would have read even half the posts in this thread, he would have seen that his comments about changing the basis of some of the design that Scott has said wouldn't change, he would have known better than to ask.

Marth

01-07-09, 07:57 PM   #2277
neuralassassin
A Scalebane Royal Guard

I didnt feel he was jumped too much. The donation comment kinda hit a nerve with me it was just wrong the way he said it

01-07-09, 11:28 PM   #2278
Tehryn
A Warpwood Thunder Caller

I would say that he could have phrased it a little bit better, because now it looks like sort of umm.. umm.. blackmail (for want of a better word). Having said that, I don't really think that he meant it to come over like that. My AUD$0.02.

"Slight variations in spelling and grammar may have been added in order to enhance this post's individual character and beauty, and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects"
[0x81BEB11E]

01-07-09, 11:37 PM   #2279
Tehryn
A Warpwood Thunder Caller

Missing portraits

Lately my portrait, or that of my 'ghoul' (I'm a DK) won't show up in the frames. Actually, at some stage they may show again, no idea why.

"Slight variations in spelling and grammar may have been added in order to enhance this post's individual character and beauty, and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects"
[0x81BEB11E]

01-08-09, 03:47 AM   #2280
neuralassassin
A Scalebane Royal Guard

its a blizz bug as far as I know the portrait thing

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » Support » nUI: Technical Support » nUI -- A full feature standalone UI replacement