01-21-09, 02:06 PM   #2461
spiel2001
nUI's Author

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Unfortunately, there's no such thing as a blank unit panel because the minimap and the location frame in the center are not part of the unit panel... so those would always be in the center of the empty window -- after which GRID, etc., wouldn't fit correctly.

The only other possibility would be to recode the minimap and the location box to be elements of the unit frame window which I'm loath to do for a host of reasons.

Originally Posted by MarkusFiligree View Post
Reading the above made me think of an interim solution... while waiting for the expanded Raid windows to be completed, would it be possible to add a blank section to the party window section? i.e. Player->Party->10man->Blank

That way we could configure Grid (or something similar) to sit in the same spot as our normal party frames, and free up some display space on the main screen.

I'm not sure if this would be an easy thing to implement, but it should at least cut down on how many times you need to repost the above message :-)

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/

01-21-09, 02:17 PM   #2462
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Originally Posted by bakes82 View Post
Movable aura boxes? I tried with 4.13 and nui movers didnt allow me to move them anywhere and they are hiding my decursive icons .
The aura boxes are not main UI elements, they are elements of the unit frame to which they are tied and thus are not selectable for moving. You can, however, move them if you like by editing the skin file(s) for the associated unit frames. You might also look at the optional nUI_AuraBars plugin which heavily redesignes the look and feel of the aura boxes.

Do you have a roadmap of whats coming and possibly when? Dont get me wrong I like what you do and I have everything I need with nui and a couple of 3rd party apps but who doesnt want to know what to look fwd two. It seems alot of the the patches have been maint and then a few optional mods. Whats the next BIG thing your working to add right now? What does everyone else want added (Poll maybe of 5 things on ur to-do list?). What do you think your missing when you play?
I have tried to "schedule" which elements I was going to work on many times and I've given up. There are so many complications not the least of which is the changes Bliz makes, bugs that come up, etc. I try to focus on things based on playability priority, complexity, value and how much noise is being made by the users (squeaky wheels) and have found that to be the most "reliable" driver for what I work on when.

As for what I miss most... raid rframes. As for the next big planned thing... a layout tool to allow people to create their own custom layouts, tweak the unit frames, etc. The patch notes give my current to-do list (in no particular order) and any of those are likely to appear at any given time based on the time I have available and my motivation.

I dont think nui can add anything else for me, HealBot, Auctioneer, Decurisve, Carbonite, Recount, Omen, ArkInv, pallypower, totemtimers, titanbar cover all the things I ever need on my charcers and most of the addons are specialzed for that class w/nui shouldnt do. Even if you get the raid support added unless it adds the stuff like grid/healbot/clique many people will still use these addons as they do the extra options weve come to like and saves time =) So thanks for everything
Some of these things you will find as part of nUI in time... totem timers for example. Some of them you never will... Recount for example. Clique is one that I will never implement either... no need since it integrates seamlessly with nUI. Some of them you will find parts of in nUI soon... such as Decursive and Titan Bars (I want to make it so bar plugin authors can code their plugins to link directly to nUI without using FuBar or Titan -- which would allow users to continue to use the funcitonality of the plugins without having to have the user carry the weight of the bar mod itself)

In the end, it's about how well it integrates with the core mod, how much complexity there is in reproducing it and whether or not there's a benefit in building it into nUI which, for most of these mods you've listed, there really would be no benefit in codign them in nUI.

01-21-09, 02:57 PM   #2463
Picasso
A Kobold Labourer

Gui

made a contribution , developmentally is this ok to install or wait for later versions, nice symmetry!

01-21-09, 03:00 PM   #2464
Marthisdil
An Onyxian Warder
Originally Posted by MarkusFiligree View Post
Reading the above made me think of an interim solution... while waiting for the expanded Raid windows to be completed, would it be possible to add a blank section to the party window section? i.e. Player->Party->10man->Blank

That way we could configure Grid (or something similar) to sit in the same spot as our normal party frames, and free up some display space on the main screen.

I'm not sure if this would be an easy thing to implement, but it should at least cut down on how many times you need to repost the above message :-)
Interesting idea there Markus

Marth

01-21-09, 03:02 PM   #2465
Seer
A Molten Giant
Originally Posted by Picasso View Post
made a contribution , developmentally is this ok to install or wait for later versions, nice symmetry!
Let's just put it this way..

What Scott calls an alpha release most other developers would call "release candidate"..

01-21-09, 03:03 PM   #2466
Marthisdil
An Onyxian Warder
Some of these things you will find as part of nUI in time... totem timers for example. Some of them you never will... Recount for example. Clique is one that I will never implement either... no need since it integrates seamlessly with nUI. Some of them you will find parts of in nUI soon... such as Decursive and Titan Bars (I want to make it so bar plugin authors can code their plugins to link directly to nUI without using FuBar or Titan -- which would allow users to continue to use the funcitonality of the plugins without having to have the user carry the weight of the bar mod itself)
Scott - why not just make nUI DataBroker compatible, and that be that. Seems that the DataBroker libraries and plugins that people have designed would be one of the easiest ways - that way, they can just use their plugin and go - no need for a bar mod, etc, since nUI would allow the placement.

Marth

01-21-09, 03:18 PM   #2467
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Originally Posted by Marthisdil View Post
Scott - why not just make nUI DataBroker compatible, and that be that. Seems that the DataBroker libraries and plugins that people have designed would be one of the easiest ways - that way, they can just use their plugin and go - no need for a bar mod, etc, since nUI would allow the placement.
The only problem with that is that nUI would then be dependent on Databroker and nUI will never have a third party dependency.

01-21-09, 03:18 PM   #2468
Wavebow
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Tooltips in nUI ....

I have installed cowtip and tried the option '/nUI tooltips default' as recomended but I where not really satisfied with the positioning at least of the unit frame tooltips. I want to make it so that all tooltips will show up on the same place on the screen. The option '/nui tooltips fixed' shows up all the tooltips on the same place but somehow lost the position on every login or reload. I tried and found a little workaround for this issue.

I created a macro and dropped it on an actiobar:

/nui movers
/nui movers

This macro turns on and off the 'movers' option and reinitializes the positioning of the tootips in my case to the 'fixed' position.
After log in I just have to click on the button and the tooltips are on the prefered position .
Maybe it is possible, that nUI could execute this macro within the 'startcode' on every login and reload?

Greetings Wavebow

01-21-09, 03:19 PM   #2469
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Originally Posted by Picasso View Post
Picasso -- First... my sincere thanks for supporting nUI. Second, the only reason nUI is not a release at this point is functionality that is missing. Beyond that I would say it is quite stable.

01-21-09, 04:55 PM   #2470
DoXsp
A Defias Bandit
Nui 25 Man raiding

I had downloaded NUI and used for about a month while leveling.. loved it. The best UI I've ever had. Had everything I ever wanted in a UI.. The only problem was when I went to raid 25 man with my guild... man the lag was soooooo horrid. I kept locking up frequently. Right now I raid with Default UI and My fps is fine i bull 40fps while raiding.. If you would look into this If it turns out to be a UI and I can use for everyday use. I would have NO problem donating for my use.

01-21-09, 05:05 PM   #2471
spiel2001
nUI's Author

The frame rate leak was fixed several releases ago and several nUI users who raid have reported they were having no issues in raids now. I would suggest you try installing the latest release (4.14.00) and see how it works for you.

Originally Posted by DoXsp View Post
I had downloaded NUI and used for about a month while leveling.. loved it. The best UI I've ever had. Had everything I ever wanted in a UI.. The only problem was when I went to raid 25 man with my guild... man the lag was soooooo horrid. I kept locking up frequently. Right now I raid with Default UI and My fps is fine i bull 40fps while raiding.. If you would look into this If it turns out to be a UI and I can use for everyday use. I would have NO problem donating for my use.

01-21-09, 05:42 PM   #2472
Blazeen
A Murloc Raider
Maybe I will get shot for asking I dunno. Hopefully not as I have spent 45 minutes looking for an answer and didnt find it. If i missed apologies to all.

When i activate /nui movers so as I can move the bag button bar, the opaque red rectangle is movable , however the bar itself does not follow the moved rectangle.
I checked with another mover i.e standard tooltip and thos followed fine.
I noticed you mentioned that there was a bug introduced in 3.08 but it wasnt clear what the bug was and it would make my eyes bleed trawling through every instance of a search for "bag" (which I did try)

Also, I logged out on board Ogrims Hammer ( the flying ship in Icecrown) yesterday
I need to test more on this by switching ON addons gradually. But when I try to log back in I get a continual "disconnected from server" message. I was pretty frustrated and was needed for a heroic run, so i disabled ALL my addons and it logged in fine. I flew off the airship and logged out...re-enabled and Nui ran smooth no problems
It may or not be related to NUI, However NUI is the only "new" addon I have put in recently and this never happened prior. I started with NUI on a clean addon folder and WTF too, and introduced seperate addons to ensure it was stable.

Last edited by Blazeen : 01-21-09 at 05:48 PM.

01-21-09, 07:28 PM   #2473
spiel2001
nUI's Author

There are some issues with moving the bag bar and it is intermittent... works on some systems, not on others and so far I cannot for the life of me figure out why. Sometimes moving the red drag box to where you want it then locking the movers down and reloading the UI will do the trick, sometimes not. Wish I had a better answer.

As for the D/C on login problem... I have been having the problem a lot lately, especially if I leave my toon in Dalaran. By trial and error I found the disabling Quest Helper fixed it for me... but that is not to say nUI doesn't play a role in it.

Originally Posted by Blazeen View Post
Maybe I will get shot for asking I dunno. Hopefully not as I have spent 45 minutes looking for an answer and didnt find it. If i missed apologies to all.

When i activate /nui movers so as I can move the bag button bar, the opaque red rectangle is movable , however the bar itself does not follow the moved rectangle.
I checked with another mover i.e standard tooltip and thos followed fine.
I noticed you mentioned that there was a bug introduced in 3.08 but it wasnt clear what the bug was and it would make my eyes bleed trawling through every instance of a search for "bag" (which I did try)

Also, I logged out on board Ogrims Hammer ( the flying ship in Icecrown) yesterday
I need to test more on this by switching ON addons gradually. But when I try to log back in I get a continual "disconnected from server" message. I was pretty frustrated and was needed for a heroic run, so i disabled ALL my addons and it logged in fine. I flew off the airship and logged out...re-enabled and Nui ran smooth no problems
It may or not be related to NUI, However NUI is the only "new" addon I have put in recently and this never happened prior. I started with NUI on a clean addon folder and WTF too, and introduced seperate addons to ensure it was stable.

01-21-09, 08:27 PM   #2474
DoXsp
A Defias Bandit
Yeah I'm Raiding right now, And I'm still getting the fps issuses in 25 man raids.. Fps will drop down to somewhere around 7 fps and my screen will start skipping for a few seconds... then it will go back..

01-22-09, 12:31 AM   #2475
spiritwulf
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Originally Posted by DoXsp View Post
Yeah I'm Raiding right now, And I'm still getting the fps issuses in 25 man raids.. Fps will drop down to somewhere around 7 fps and my screen will start skipping for a few seconds... then it will go back..
I have the same thing happen as well at times, but it apears to be coinciding with the garbage dumps so im still blaming it on Blizz.

More of a concern is the button bag atm. Still having lots of issues where the bag isnt opening or opens but isnt managing to grab the buttons. Bag button will light up but the bag itself dosnt apear and the buttons apear around the minimap. Grabbing the button for GEM seems to be the biggest challenge for it.

And of course 25man raid support and ui slider issue. (know your workin on it Spiel, its just a priority, lots of love)
not for pleasure
but for survival

01-22-09, 12:55 AM   #2476
Seer
A Molten Giant
Originally Posted by spiel2001 View Post
As for the D/C on login problem... I have been having the problem a lot lately, especially if I leave my toon in Dalaran. By trial and error I found the disabling Quest Helper fixed it for me... but that is not to say nUI doesn't play a role in it.
It's QH, a friend of mine only has 2 mods installed, one of them is QH...

She was told by blizzard that turning of QH should fix the problem, which apparently does.

Edit;
It can also be a problem with WoW or the nic, when there are to many toons running around the game and/or the nic gets to much data to handle and DC's you. Tho if it's a nic problem you usually lose all internet connections as well. Not sure if this problem is still relevant but it was in TBC and Shat..

Last edited by Seer : 01-22-09 at 01:11 AM.

01-22-09, 02:16 AM   #2477
Blazeen
A Murloc Raider
There are some issues with moving the bag bar and it is intermittent... works on some systems, not on others and so far I cannot for the life of me figure out why. Sometimes moving the red drag box to where you want it then locking the movers down and reloading the UI will do the trick, sometimes not. Wish I had a better answer.
That did the trick, thanks for the pointer.

Still havent checked Nui reloading on the icecrown issue as yet but i will try one by additions when i can. I don't use Quest Helper at all I use the full version of Carbonite Quest, not sure if this is a conflict as I remember reading in the notes somewhere that Carbonite has some conflicting issues.
I will post when I try and keep you updated.
Thank you for your continued updates and support of the addon. I wasnt sure how it was going to play at first, been a long time user of X-Perl/Dominos etc and so far I am steadily getting used to it. Brilliant !!

01-22-09, 02:55 AM   #2478
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

It's QuestHelper. It's been well documented over on the tech support forums that the addon causes disconnections, severe game crashes, and FPS issues (Auctioneer also causes FPS issues) on some systems. It is now S.O.P. for the techs to first tell people to delete/disable QuestHelper when they're having certain issues. Since I volunteer my time over there and am a regular, I see this happen more times than I care to.

Forum stickie about game performance issues where it mentions QuestHelper and Auctioneer:
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...909544&sid=1#1

Forum search for the word QuestHelper. You can see they (techs and volunteers) tell people to delete or disable QuesHelper:
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/se...helper&x=0&y=0

Last edited by Petrah : 01-22-09 at 03:08 AM.

01-22-09, 04:23 AM   #2479
Ratheri
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

The only problem with that is that nUI would then be dependent on Databroker and nUI will never have a third party dependency.
Scott, I believe that Titan already has the databroker lib integrated in it, so without it, some plugins wont work.

I agree that the data broker libs should NOT be integrated into the main nUI build. Perhaps a solution would be an optional plugin to allow databroker plugins without forcing people using only the main build to have to use it. (kind of like the hitsmode integration and the ...something relevant that i can't think of. I'm not allowed to post after 5 am anymore!)

I hope this might be a compromise that both placates those that want to use databroker and those that want to keep nUI away from unneeded 3d party addons.

Last edited by Ratheri : 01-22-09 at 04:25 AM.

01-22-09, 06:20 AM   #2480
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Originally Posted by spiritwulf View Post
I have the same thing happen as well at times, but it apears to be coinciding with the garbage dumps so im still blaming it on Blizz.
This appears to be "better" than it was, but still pretty bad. I'm seeing much higher frame rates in Northrend now, but I'm still seeing wild FPS swings. The lows don't seem to be as low now though.

More of a concern is the button bag atm. Still having lots of issues where the bag isnt opening or opens but isnt managing to grab the buttons. Bag button will light up but the bag itself dosnt apear and the buttons apear around the minimap. Grabbing the button for GEM seems to be the biggest challenge for it.
Okay... the bug Bliz introduced in 3.0.8 that broke the button bag *only* affected the ability to open and close the bag. My update did fix that though I have noticed that closing the bag via the "x" in the corner of the bag does confuse it slightly... you can work around that for now by just using the bag bar button to open and close the bag until I can fix that new issue.

Aside from that, however, there's no issue with the button bag picking up the minimap buttons *unless* you're using a third party mod that interacts with the minimap buttons. If you're using a mod that does this, then it and nUI end up in conflict over who is managing the buttons and it gets ugly. I can only tell you that if you're seeing your minimap buttons around the minimap, then you have another mod that is conflicting with nUI.

And of course 25man raid support and ui slider issue. (know your workin on it Spiel, its just a priority, lots of love)
yeah yeah yeah.... ~grin~

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » Support » nUI: Technical Support » nUI -- A full feature standalone UI replacement