04-01-12, 03:07 PM   #21
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Morpheusdead View Post
I would say they have abandoned their obligations
Please excuse my ignorance, but, what "obligations"?

Authors write and publish addons for free. An argument could even be made that they do it as a hobby. They have no "obligations" to anyone as far as addons are concerned. If an author chooses to abandon a project, they are under no obligation to even notify the public that they are choosing to do so. However, the authors of Carbonite have posted at least once (and possibly more than once) that they have no intention of abandoning this (Carbonite) project, and that they have every intention of notifying their users (of Carbonite) if, or when, that event might happen.

So, what obligations, please?

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

04-01-12, 07:56 PM   #22
Morpheusdead
An Aku'mai Servant

Originally Posted by Chmee View Post
What "obligation"?

If I were a dev, and people repeatedly posted that I didn't care, that I had abandoned my "obligation", I would rapidly come to the conclusion that I not only don't care, I shouldn't care. Screw 'em. I applaud Haavok and Faatal because they resisted that reaction for so long.

If you're convinced that "the devs don't care" and "carbonite is dead", then you might as well just quietly go away and find yourself another map add-on, or use the standard Blizz map. There's no point, if that's your opinion, in necroing old threads just so you can whine some more.
There absolutely is a POINT. And its a rather good one. A new to the game/community player might naively think that clicking those donation buttons that are still active, would serve a purpose. When in fact it does not. The developers have quite obviously abandoned this project, but in their supreme integrity left the donation buttons active.

I have noticed posts recently by people stating they have just now donated, thinking this is to help the dev's of an active mod. This is wrong if the dev isn't even logging onto the website for 4 months. Well what exactly is he collecting donations for? Past work?

Integrity would lead you to think one way, Maybe if I am done with this I should stop taking money for it. Greed would lead you another way, Hmmm people are still donating, hey lets collect as much as we can from this train til it stops. I mean hell I earned it for my work in the past RIGHT.

Whatever, look at it however you want. I thankfully have integrity. I was simply hoping to warn off less observant people, and save them their hard earned money in this calamitous economy. But hey you have a good day.

04-01-12, 10:58 PM   #23
beef623
A Kobold Labourer
Sorry, I'm not seeing what the devs are doing wrong here. Dude's got a job and a family and he still keeps the addon up to date. What is it you expect him to do?

Also, if you're giving money and expecting something in return, that's not a donation. A donation by definition is a gift.

04-01-12, 11:09 PM   #24
Chmee
A Molten Giant
@Morpheus: be careful there. You can break an arm patting yourself on the back like that.

As for the rest, what beef said.

04-02-12, 05:44 PM   #25
merak69
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by jeffy162 View Post
So, what obligations, please?
How about obligations to those that paid for the addon before it went free? Or obligations to those that donated for the addon even after it went free? As I recall, the paid version prior to going free included free updates as part of that for the life of the addon. If the life of the addon is done, then just say so.

I agree that those that haven't ever paid anything for it really don't have a leg to standon... It isn't very hard as a developer to at least keep the addon updated such that the "your Carbonite is outdated" message never shows or that the TOC stays up to date.

(As a side note, I paid for Carbonite before it went free and have donated since as well... I'm also an addon author... just so you don't think I'm being biased.)

04-09-12, 11:14 AM   #26
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Chmee View Post
What "obligation"?

If I were a dev, and people repeatedly posted that I didn't care, that I had abandoned my "obligation", I would rapidly come to the conclusion that I not only don't care, I shouldn't care. Screw 'em. I applaud Haavok and Faatal because they resisted that reaction for so long.

If you're convinced that "the devs don't care" and "carbonite is dead", then you might as well just quietly go away and find yourself another map add-on, or use the standard Blizz map. There's no point, if that's your opinion, in necroing old threads just so you can whine some more.
HERE HERE!!!

Well said, Sir.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

04-28-12, 07:05 PM   #27
hilltop67
A Murloc Raider

I remember 4.22, his daughter couldnt log in so he checked and seen that there where hundreds of people needing assistance. And we assisted with his hint to assist through Paypal, which by other financial standards puts him in binding contract for software release. I paid good money in the beginning and when 4.22 came out and if this is how he wants to be and I live very close to his city and would gladly put in a lawsuit against him for obligations that he put up the original software and I purchased it and have a copy of alot of discussion him and his so callled partner enjoyed our money quite well, Blizzard also put in there that all financial dollars collected wil be returned after a succesful lawsuit against another internet thief did the same things, all the records that everyone put in are now gone (funny huh) but we'll see who has the last laugh, don't play with fire it burns.

04-29-12, 02:04 PM   #28
mccompunerd
A Fallenroot Satyr
Just a heads up that someone is logged into the Carboniteaddon account and at least 15 minutes ago was in the process of replying to this thread

carboniteaddon
Featured Artist

Last Activity: Today 02:50 PM
Replying to Thread Carbonite outdated ? @ 02:50 PM

04-29-12, 02:07 PM   #29
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

If you want to get technical, Carbonite, years ago, was sold as a subscription. Updates were provided only to active subscribers. Those subscriptions have all since expired.

The license (CarboniteLicenseAgreement.txt) has always stated:

NO WARRANTY. YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", "AT YOUR OWN RISK", AND WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, COMPANY HEREBY DISCLAIMS ALL EXPRESS AND IMPLIED CONDITIONS, REPRESENTATIONS AND WARRANTIES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NON-INFRINGEMENT OF ANY THIRD PARTY RIGHTS WITH RESPECT TO THE SOFTWARE. COMPANY DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE SOFTWARE IS ERROR-FREE OR THAT ACCESS TO THE SOFTWARE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED AND WITHOUT COMPROMISE TO SECURITY SYSTEMS.

Carbonite is currently available free of charge. Donations are accepted based on whatever reason someone decides to give us money. No decision has been made by us on the future of Carbonite. I would like to see it continue in some form. Opening up some of the data files, so that others could contribute by editing them easily is one possibility.

04-29-12, 02:11 PM   #30
mccompunerd
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by carboniteaddon View Post
No decision has been made by us on the future of Carbonite. I would like to see it continue in some form. Opening up some of the data files, so that others could contribute by editing them easily is one possibility.
Thanks for the update Faatal. As much as I love Carbonite I've started using other full ui replacements that don't play nice with anything. I know there is a following here and even if y'all just open up the files so that others can work on it that may keep it going.

04-30-12, 02:11 PM   #31
huntedknight
A Murloc Raider

If you want to get technical, Carbonite, years ago, was sold as a subscription. Updates were provided only to active subscribers. Those subscriptions have all since expired.

NO WARRANTY. YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", "AT YOUR OWN RISK", AND WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, COMPANY HEREBY DISCLAIMS ALL EXPRESS AND IMPLIED CONDITIONS, REPRESENTATIONS AND WARRANTIES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NON-INFRINGEMENT OF ANY THIRD PARTY RIGHTS WITH RESPECT TO THE SOFTWARE. COMPANY DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE SOFTWARE IS ERROR-FREE OR THAT ACCESS TO THE SOFTWARE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED AND WITHOUT COMPROMISE TO SECURITY SYSTEMS.

Carbonite is currently available free of charge. Donations are accepted based on whatever reason someone decides to give us money. No decision has been made by us on the future of Carbonite. I would like to see it continue in some form. Opening up some of the data files, so that others could contribute by editing them easily is one possibility.
thx for the update

For the Alliance !!!!!
For the Horde !!!!!

05-03-12, 01:31 AM   #32
DJThor
A Kobold Labourer
Arrow

Thank you for the Update. I truly do hope that you do continue with this addon due to it is one of my favorite ones of the many that I use.

05-03-12, 04:10 PM   #33
Parolis
A Kobold Labourer

I hope there will be Carbonite to MOP.
I love this addon

05-04-12, 11:06 PM   #34
joshcha
A Defias Bandit
i donated to the ronald mcdonald foundation a little while ago... i went into mcdonalds the other day and demanded free food.. i payed for a donation awhile ago damnit i want my food im entitled to...thats what you whining people sound like... THE DEVS HAVE A DAMN LIFE...WOW AINT THEIR LIFE.. they are not married to wow or play for that matter... quit the bitching... if i were them ide say"F#*k this im done"

05-05-12, 09:23 AM   #35
ultima9
A Murloc Raider
Show some gratitude...

@joshcha
Haha, EXACTLY. You donate money, then whine that you didn't get something from it? I think you should visit your local library, find a dictionary, and look up the word "Donate".

Personally, i'm glad to see that the addon is still perfectly useable. One of my favs. I won't even log on wow unless it's installed. Amazing addon, and i sincerely thank the authors for the time they SPENT on writing it, and SPEND on making sure it's still useable - even if it's no longer "priority one".

05-06-12, 02:42 AM   #36
eqsanctum
The Great Equalizer

Premium Member

I have to say when the whole you cant pay for addons or else bull**** was implemented I went o bat for you guys just so you know

When you said opening up some of the data files... I think my request would be make the lua files readable That's all then Im sure the community as a whole could help you make updates without actually having to do any work

Anyhow thanks love you guys

05-06-12, 05:24 AM   #37
Urtia
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by hilltop67 View Post
I remember 4.22, his daughter couldnt log in so he checked and seen that there where hundreds of people needing assistance. And we assisted with his hint to assist through Paypal, which by other financial standards puts him in binding contract for software release. I paid good money in the beginning and when 4.22 came out and if this is how he wants to be and I live very close to his city and would gladly put in a lawsuit against him for obligations that he put up the original software and I purchased it and have a copy of alot of discussion him and his so callled partner enjoyed our money quite well, Blizzard also put in there that all financial dollars collected wil be returned after a succesful lawsuit against another internet thief did the same things, all the records that everyone put in are now gone (funny huh) but we'll see who has the last laugh, don't play with fire it burns.
You know there Hilltop67 hate to say this here but that is blackmail out right and you have made public record of it and if you was to pursue a lawsuit I would make sure this would make light .... Key words "we assisted" meaning that you didn't have to give any thing at all any lawyer would tell you that

05-06-12, 09:18 AM   #38
Stankymanky
A Kobold Labourer
Unhappy end(ish) of Carbonite

Thanks for the heads up, I have donated in the past as this imho was really the best map/quest tracker/loot and money mod out there and am gonna be sad to see it go. But thanks for some closure. I understand things change, people get busy, real life gets in the way. I do think that if you do plan on keeping the donations page up you could at least tell people that there's a very good chance that it will never be updated past 4.3 otherwise it's kinda deceptive as folk assume that they are donating and supporting an active mod. This forces my hand though I will have to find a replacement now. Wow that sucks...

05-06-12, 09:24 AM   #39
Alaniis
A Murloc Raider
update in the future?

All of the preceeding nonsense aside, including the dire threats to the developers, my statement and question is simple and in two parts:

1. I LOVE Carbonite and have depended on it for the 2 years of my WOW addiction - thank you developers for the product. I've donated in the past and would glady do so again in the future.

2. Will there be a further update and if so when? I appreciate that the developers have lives and if no further updates are anticipated, then I'll (sadly) look for a replacement addon.

For the Alliance!

05-06-12, 10:40 AM   #40
DrCuddles
A Kobold Labourer
I understand that the addon isn't a priority right now but with new zones appearing I'd hope to at least see their maps added. It's so annoying have to hide my carbonite map

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Carbonite outdated ?