Quantcast
Guild Wars 2 Clean Style UI - WoWInterface
Thread Tools Display Modes
07-10-12, 07:16 AM   #1
Rammoth
A Cliff Giant
 
Rammoth's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 73
Lightbulb Guild Wars 2 Clean Style UI

Is it possible to utilize every feature and make graphics similar to the UI in Guild Wars 2?

You can understand every feature and see sceenshots here: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Grap...user_interface

My favorite part is the minimap, but I would like to be able to have everything designed in the same style, it would be suitable for a middle ages fantasy style MMORPG, and that's what WoW is. I plan to play both Guild Wars 2 and WoW, so I'd like consistency, so I can switch back and forth without too much trouble. That's the main reason I want this UI.

Right now I use the minimal style UI's on this site. But I'd like something absolutely as close as possible to the Guild Wars 2 UI.

I know there is a Guild Wars 2 style UI, but it's not close enough for me.

Is there anyone interested in taking up this project, and also has the knowledge to be able to create something this elaborate for World of Warcraft?
  Reply With Quote
07-10-12, 10:12 AM   #2
zohar101
A Cyclonian
 
zohar101's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 43
If you mean can you make wow UI look similar in appearance, then it's possible. In fact I remember one that tries to mimic it:

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...uildWars2.html
  Reply With Quote
07-10-12, 10:38 AM   #3
Rammoth
A Cliff Giant
 
Rammoth's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 73
Exclamation

I know of it, and it is not what I'm looking for. It doesn't look exactly like it, and it doesn't FUNCTION like it.

I would like it feel and look as close to as EXACTLY as possible. I'm willing to donate to project that does this effectively, considering I'm playing both games, and I want to be able to freely change between them both without having to relearn everything ALL over again.

Originally Posted by zohar101 View Post
If you mean can you make wow UI look similar in appearance, then it's possible. In fact I remember one that tries to mimic it:

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...uildWars2.html
  Reply With Quote
07-10-12, 01:10 PM   #4
Seerah
Fishing Trainer
 
Seerah's Avatar
WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,748
I think you would need to be detailed in your description of what you desire, then.
__________________
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

  Reply With Quote
07-10-12, 03:12 PM   #5
Rammoth
A Cliff Giant
 
Rammoth's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 73
I thought I was actually... I said Exact.

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
I think you would need to be detailed in your description of what you desire, then.
  Reply With Quote
07-10-12, 03:33 PM   #6
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer
 
SDPhantom's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,935
It doesn't look like it would be too hard to do, a good question is how EXACT you want it to be. There are limits to what addon code can do. The UI must also incorporate features in WoW that may not exist in GW2 and omit features that aren't in WoW.

This project would most likely require someone that has GW2 to copy or reverse engineer the graphics from. The link provided only supplies partial information as to what the UI looks like and how it interacts to mouse events such as highlighting and animation.
__________________
ESOUI AddOns | WoWInterface AddOns
"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools."
-Anders (Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening)

Last edited by SDPhantom : 07-10-12 at 03:38 PM.
  Reply With Quote
07-10-12, 03:51 PM   #7
Seerah
Fishing Trainer
 
Seerah's Avatar
WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,748
Originally Posted by Rammoth View Post
I thought I was actually... I said Exact.
Not everyone has played Guild Wars or even Guild Wars 2.

/edit: in addition, there may be certain things which you consider essential and others which you think you could live without. And even screenshots do not tell how a UI "functions".
__________________
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

  Reply With Quote
07-10-12, 03:51 PM   #8
Rammoth
A Cliff Giant
 
Rammoth's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 73
I would like it to be as close as possible to it. Any features that you can't make because of the limitations, then the only solution would be to make those features look like they're there, but doesn't have to be. This way I still feel like I'm using Guild Wars 2 UI. Because I will be playing it more than WoW to be honest.

Originally Posted by SDPhantom View Post
It doesn't look like it would be too hard to do, a good question is how EXACT you want it to be. There are limits to what addon code can do. The UI must also incorporate features in WoW that may not exist in GW2 and omit features that aren't in WoW.

This project would most likely require someone that has GW2 to copy or reverse engineer the graphics from. The link provided only supplies partial information as to what the UI looks like and how it interacts to mouse events such as highlighting and animation.
  Reply With Quote
07-10-12, 05:19 PM   #9
Phanx
Cat.
 
Phanx's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,617
Rammoth, I think the point you're missing is that many addon authors who could help you out with either code or suggestions have not played Guild Wars 2 and have no idea how the UI functions. Reading a Wiki page about color coding in the UI with a few cropped screenshots of various portions of the UI isn't really helpful when you're talking about the feel of the UI in use. Instead of just saying "I want it to be exactly the same" you should try to describe -- in words -- some of the specific differences you want to minimize, and how the addons you've already tried fall short. If you can give me a specific description of the feature or functionality you want, I can immediately tell you if it's possible or not in WoW, and whether there are any addons that will give it to you, or where you should start with writing it yourself.

Otherwise, you're really limiting yourself by requiring anyone to have played GW2 before they can help you, especially when you're posting on a WoW-specific forum.
__________________
Author/maintainer of Grid, PhanxChat, oUF_Phanx, and many more.
Troubleshoot an addon • Turn any code into an addon • More addon resources
Need help with your code? Post all of your actual code! Attach or paste your files.
Please don’t PM me about addon bugs or code questions. Post a comment or forum thread instead!
  Reply With Quote
07-10-12, 05:53 PM   #10
Rammoth
A Cliff Giant
 
Rammoth's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 73
You can see how it functions on Youtube. In this day and age we have Youtube, where you can find just about anything on it. Guild Wars 2 is on it, you can see beta gameplay on it. The UI and how it functions in the videos, are very good way of coming up with as much as possible of how it functions and looks for World of Warcraft. Sure it can be complicated, but if nothing else the look is extremely possible.

It's too complicated for me to explain more than what I have, and in fact if I had never played Guild Wars 2 Beta, then I would have still understood what I wanted if what I said was said by somebody else. So I don't know why you said that. It seems as if you're being kind of arrogant, but I could be wrong - you might not be trying to be. But it sure comes off like it.

Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
Rammoth, I think the point you're missing is that many addon authors who could help you out with either code or suggestions have not played Guild Wars 2 and have no idea how the UI functions. Reading a Wiki page about color coding in the UI with a few cropped screenshots of various portions of the UI isn't really helpful when you're talking about the feel of the UI in use. Instead of just saying "I want it to be exactly the same" you should try to describe -- in words -- some of the specific differences you want to minimize, and how the addons you've already tried fall short. If you can give me a specific description of the feature or functionality you want, I can immediately tell you if it's possible or not in WoW, and whether there are any addons that will give it to you, or where you should start with writing it yourself.

Otherwise, you're really limiting yourself by requiring anyone to have played GW2 before they can help you, especially when you're posting on a WoW-specific forum.
  Reply With Quote
07-10-12, 06:19 PM   #11
Haleth
This Space For Rent
 
Haleth's Avatar
Featured
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,173
The point he's trying to make is that when you make a request, you should request exactly what you want, not link a few pictures and say "look the rest up on YouTube". What exactly do you mean with functionality similar to GW2?

No-one is going to look on YouTube for videos of GW2 including the UI and trying to figure out which features you'd like - making and maintaining addon takes a ton of time.
  Reply With Quote
07-10-12, 07:11 PM   #12
Rammoth
A Cliff Giant
 
Rammoth's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 73
I understand that, but I don't know how else to explain it....

I am a little slow, and I know people will say "Well the way you type, makes it seem otherwise" or something like that, it's been said a bunch of times all over the internet. But that doesn't mean I'm lying. It's just like anything else, I just happen to be good at typing, but not good at explaining things, wording things exactly right...

I'm sorry that I can't say for sure what it is I'm looking for EXACTLY. That's why I put the Wiki page link there, because I don't know what else to say. All I know is, I'd like to be consistent with playing 2 different games, and the best way I can do that is to make a UI for one, but I have a hard time making UI's myself. I've tried before in the past, and chose not to upload what I had.

Originally Posted by Haleth View Post
The point he's trying to make is that when you make a request, you should request exactly what you want, not link a few pictures and say "look the rest up on YouTube". What exactly do you mean with functionality similar to GW2?

No-one is going to look on YouTube for videos of GW2 including the UI and trying to figure out which features you'd like - making and maintaining addon takes a ton of time.
  Reply With Quote
07-10-12, 07:22 PM   #13
Rammoth
A Cliff Giant
 
Rammoth's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 73
The author of the Guild Wars 2 like UI that's on this site, has stated some changes that I like. So I think that UI would be suitable, once it's gotten more further along. So I no longer need a request for this.
  Reply With Quote
07-10-12, 08:21 PM   #14
Seerah
Fishing Trainer
 
Seerah's Avatar
WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,748
I am sorry if you were feeling frustrated with your request, Rammoth. The people on this forum, and in this thread, really do want to help you! It's just that we want to get it right with as few tries as possible. I hope that the current Guild Wars 2 UI will work out for you in the future.
__________________
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

  Reply With Quote
07-10-12, 08:46 PM   #15
Rammoth
A Cliff Giant
 
Rammoth's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 73
It did, but it's because of my brain patterns, I always get stuck... I can't think further into what I have in mind and I can't seem to explain anything very well, ever on anything. I never have been able to.

I didn't mean to seem like I was pissed off at everyone else, I'm just frustrated with myself, because I can't figure out how to say what I want, and I have spoke English my entire life so far... I've felt stupid the entire day while on this website, but it's not anyones fault. It's just the way I am, I guess.

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
I am sorry if you were feeling frustrated with your request, Rammoth. The people on this forum, and in this thread, really do want to help you! It's just that we want to get it right with as few tries as possible. I hope that the current Guild Wars 2 UI will work out for you in the future.
  Reply With Quote
07-10-12, 09:27 PM   #16
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer
 
SDPhantom's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,935
I get what you were requesting and I've worked on a project like this before. The only problem is, I don't have access to GW2. I've played GW1 before and still have my copy of it, but it doesn't look anywhere near the same.

The project I worked on before was a full conversion into a Warcraft 3 UI complete with switching between the 4 racial skins depending on the user's race. I discontinued work on it solely because the artwork for the bottom bar took up the bottom third of the screen, making it impractical. That and there really was no way to make it work for vehicles.

The entire idea was to port the Warcraft 3 UI to function exactly the same way in WoW. The square minimap was on the lower left corner. Target info with the target model was in the center (target info defaulted to player when no target was selected). I had the bag buttons in the small 2x3 button area for hero inventory. I had the main action bar buttons spread out in the 4x3 command grid on the lower right corner. The only thing I was missing was the unitframes across the top left of the screen and placing the chatframe on the left side of the screen, just above the minimap.

Most conversions I've seen ignore the functional layout of the original game. An example would be a conversion of Starcraft 2, where they replaced the minimap and command grid with the chatframe and combat log. Functional for WoW, but it completely defeats the nostalgic purpose of having the UI in the first place.
__________________
ESOUI AddOns | WoWInterface AddOns
"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools."
-Anders (Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening)

Last edited by SDPhantom : 07-10-12 at 09:31 PM.
  Reply With Quote
07-10-12, 09:54 PM   #17
Rammoth
A Cliff Giant
 
Rammoth's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 73
I'm glad you understand.

There is a Guild Wars 2 beta on the 20th I believe, it is the last beta before release which is the 28th.

There is no way for me to gain access to the files of the UI though, until I've installed the released version, because the beta doesn't come with folders for it.

But once it releases, I can get the UI elements, and anything else needed. I just don't know how to make it.

I know the other project is being worked on, but they have no intention of making it EXACTLY as I'd want it to be, but it's close.

Would you be interested in taking on the project? If not, I'll just wait till the update for the project I chose to go with and hopefully it'll work for me.

Originally Posted by SDPhantom View Post
I get what you were requesting and I've worked on a project like this before. The only problem is, I don't have access to GW2. I've played GW1 before and still have my copy of it, but it doesn't look anywhere near the same.

The project I worked on before was a full conversion into a Warcraft 3 UI complete with switching between the 4 racial skins depending on the user's race. I discontinued work on it solely because the artwork for the bottom bar took up the bottom third of the screen, making it impractical. That and there really was no way to make it work for vehicles.

The entire idea was to port the Warcraft 3 UI to function exactly the same way in WoW. The square minimap was on the lower left corner. Target info with the target model was in the center (target info defaulted to player when no target was selected). I had the bag buttons in the small 2x3 button area for hero inventory. I had the main action bar buttons spread out in the 4x3 command grid on the lower right corner. The only thing I was missing was the unitframes across the top left of the screen and placing the chatframe on the left side of the screen, just above the minimap.

Most conversions I've seen ignore the functional layout of the original game. An example would be a conversion of Starcraft 2, where they replaced the minimap and command grid with the chatframe and combat log. Functional for WoW, but it completely defeats the nostalgic purpose of having the UI in the first place.
  Reply With Quote
07-18-12, 04:34 AM   #18
eiszeit
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
 
eiszeit's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 154
The best GW2-UI-clone I saw was this: http://www.wowuigallery.com/topic/gu...rs-2-wannabe-p

And since I played GW2 beta enough.. I can say, except some small things (which are easy to fix) it's best you can get.
__________________
Lyn • I'm a mess of unfinished thoughts
  Reply With Quote
07-18-12, 06:57 AM   #19
Rammoth
A Cliff Giant
 
Rammoth's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 73
Yes, but it's never been released for anyone to use, so after seeing information about updates for the following addon I'll link here, I decided to go with it

Here: http://www.wowinterface.com/download...uildWars2.html

I will not use it until those updates happen though, however.

Originally Posted by eiszeit View Post
The best GW2-UI-clone I saw was this: http://www.wowuigallery.com/topic/gu...rs-2-wannabe-p

And since I played GW2 beta enough.. I can say, except some small things (which are easy to fix) it's best you can get.
  Reply With Quote
07-18-12, 08:09 AM   #20
eiszeit
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
 
eiszeit's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 154
Best thing about using an interface, is building it. So. Be creative and try to make it like you want. That UI of Butger is a nice base to start with.

And I think I'll have an idea now. Just w/o that ugly orb.
__________________
Lyn • I'm a mess of unfinished thoughts

Last edited by eiszeit : 07-18-12 at 12:30 PM.
  Reply With Quote

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Guild Wars 2 Clean Style UI

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off