Quantcast
Survey: Distracted Driving - WoWInterface
Thread Tools Display Modes
10-28-09, 11:02 PM   #1
Arrowmaster
An Aku'mai Servant
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 31
Survey: Distracted Driving

As part of a report for a college class, I have created an online survey about distracted driving and electronic devices. The target audience of this survey is those above 16 years old or your local minimum driving age if it's higher than 16.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?s...RkMDLmmw_3d_3d

The survey is a short 9 questions and I would appreciate it if anybody with a few minutes to spare could fill it out.

The 10th question is an optional comments block to put any addition information you would like to say. Such as being outside the US, having laws against one or more things on the survey, being in an area where the majority of people of legal driving age do not have drivers licenses (such as a major metropolitan area), or anything else you could care to comment on that you think might give you a different perspective than those in my local area.
  Reply With Quote
10-30-09, 10:40 PM   #2
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer
 
Yhor's Avatar
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,077
I took the survey; pretty painless.

I do think you should add the option of applying make-up and brushing hair while on a cell phone / texting, though . I see that nearly everyday and it makes me rage, especially when there are children in the car, too.
  Reply With Quote
10-30-09, 10:51 PM   #3
MidgetMage55
Grinch!
 
MidgetMage55's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,498
One of the many reasons I'm glad we sold the car. (was to save money not some other eco friendly purpose =P )
__________________

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
  Reply With Quote
10-31-09, 02:27 AM   #4
Republic
Paladin
 
Republic's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 277
The government doesn't belong inside our cars anymore than they do our homes. Additional laws are not necessary.
  Reply With Quote
10-31-09, 03:38 AM   #5
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer
 
Yhor's Avatar
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,077
Originally Posted by Republic View Post
The government doesn't belong inside our cars anymore than they do our homes. Additional laws are not necessary.
/agree

I have huge impulses to go on a /rant about how much I agree with that, but nothing good could come of it, in regards to forum rules and certain flame wars.

My previous post wasn't referring to the law section, just to clarify, and was in jest even though it's true.
  Reply With Quote
10-31-09, 04:12 AM   #6
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer
 
Torhal's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,196
Originally Posted by Yhor View Post
I have huge impulses to go on a /rant about how much I agree with that, but <snip>
...kicking kittens is so much more rewarding?
__________________
Whenever someone says "pls" because it's shorter than "please", I say "no" because it's shorter than "yes".

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
  Reply With Quote
10-31-09, 04:31 AM   #7
Cairenn
Credendo Vides
 
Cairenn's Avatar
Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 7,111
Originally Posted by Yhor View Post
but nothing good could come of it, in regards to forum rules and certain flame wars.
Quoted for emphasis. Let's leave political debate out of the thread.
__________________
“Do what you feel in your heart to be right — for you’ll be criticized anyway.” ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Co-Founder & Admin: MMOUI
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
  Reply With Quote
10-31-09, 05:37 AM   #8
Republic
Paladin
 
Republic's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 277
Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
Quoted for emphasis. Let's leave political debate out of the thread.
The basic human condition of freedom isn't a political issue. Thus, no real point in bringing politics into the discussion. The statement against no new laws is appropriate as per the OP's interest in different points of view with regard to "having laws against one or more things on the survey". If we can't discuss the topic of the OP, I suppose there's no real point to this thread other than the advertisement for the survey. My bad.
  Reply With Quote
10-31-09, 07:46 AM   #9
Slakah
A Molten Giant
 
Slakah's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 863
Originally Posted by Republic View Post
The government doesn't belong inside our cars anymore than they do our homes. Additional laws are not necessary.
I don't understand this statement, cars and homes are fundamentally different things, what additional laws are you worried about?
  Reply With Quote
10-31-09, 09:37 AM   #10
OarisJM
A Murloc Raider
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4
Originally Posted by Slakah View Post
I don't understand this statement, cars and homes are fundamentally different things, what additional laws are you worried about?
The laws mentioned in the survey?

OP, I really think that the make-up thing should be added, as well as eating. I suspect they are more frequent offenders because there's no stigma attached to them.
  Reply With Quote
10-31-09, 11:27 AM   #11
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer
 
Yhor's Avatar
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,077
Originally Posted by Arrowmaster View Post
As part of a report for a college class, I have created an online survey about distracted driving and electronic devices.

My make up statement was in jest... the survey as quoted is intended for distractions only relating to electronic devices. Sorry if I derailed, I was having a little fun.
  Reply With Quote
10-31-09, 12:47 PM   #12
Republic
Paladin
 
Republic's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 277
Originally Posted by Slakah View Post
I don't understand this statement, cars and homes are fundamentally different things, what additional laws are you worried about?
If you read the survey from the OP link, how could you not understand my comment? Go do some homework. The adults are talking
  Reply With Quote
10-31-09, 12:49 PM   #13
BWarner
A Black Drake
 
BWarner's Avatar
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 87
Originally Posted by Torhal View Post
...kicking kittens is so much more rewarding?
Quoted for emphasis.
__________________


The Warrior Formerly Known As Aerowyn.

http://AeroWow.com/
  Reply With Quote
10-31-09, 01:29 PM   #14
Slakah
A Molten Giant
 
Slakah's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 863
Originally Posted by Republic View Post
The adults are talking
How demeaning.

The government doesn't belong inside our cars anymore than they do our homes. Additional laws are not necessary.
Cars can quite easily kill people when the person driving isn't paying attention, unlike a house, laws which try protect my right to life when on the road are fine with me.
  Reply With Quote
10-31-09, 02:08 PM   #15
Republic
Paladin
 
Republic's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 277
Originally Posted by Slakah View Post
How demeaning.



Cars can quite easily kill people when the person driving isn't paying attention, unlike a house, laws which try protect my right to life when on the road are fine with me.
So uh, you did understand my statement? You just didn't agree with it? Do you see how that's two vastly different things? With one you look like...eh, nevermind.

Smiling, waving, and moving on As to continue discussing your point, this will become a political discussion, which scares some folks around here.
  Reply With Quote
10-31-09, 04:00 PM   #16
Seerah
Fishing Trainer
 
Seerah's Avatar
WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,744
*ahem*

/me taps her foot
__________________
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

  Reply With Quote
10-31-09, 04:09 PM   #17
Akryn
A Firelord
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 479
Originally Posted by Republic View Post
So uh, you did understand my statement? You just didn't agree with it?
I believe he was using "understand" to mean "understand how you are arriving at your conclusion, based on the stated premise," as opposed to "understand the literal meaning of your words." I have to agree with him: there's no reason to expect privacy on a public road, just because you're in a car -- indeed, *especially* while you're in a car which makes poor behavior choices more likely to negatively impact other people.
  Reply With Quote
10-31-09, 04:24 PM   #18
wurmfood
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 122
Originally Posted by Slakah View Post
I don't understand this statement, cars and homes are fundamentally different things, what additional laws are you worried about?
(Not trying to add to political discussion/potential flame war, only inform.)

Several states in the US have laws that make doing certain actions while driving illegal. For example, in California it is illegal to talk on a cell phone without using a hands-free device (and illegal period for minors). It is also illegal to text-message while driving.
  Reply With Quote
10-31-09, 05:31 PM   #19
Republic
Paladin
 
Republic's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 277
Originally Posted by Akryn View Post
I believe he was using "understand" to mean "understand how you are arriving at your conclusion, based on the stated premise," as opposed to "understand the literal meaning of your words." I have to agree with him: there's no reason to expect privacy on a public road, just because you're in a car -- indeed, *especially* while you're in a car which makes poor behavior choices more likely to negatively impact other people.
Legislation as a solution to poor behavior choices? What planet do you live on? Sorry, but I'm never in favor of the government telling me every little move I can make. Why don't we just go ahead and outlaw smoking while we're at it? It clearly kills more people each year than adjusting the knob on a car radio.

I suppose you could say I'm not a fan of "change you can believe in". I prefer freedom.
  Reply With Quote
10-31-09, 05:33 PM   #20
Republic
Paladin
 
Republic's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 277
Originally Posted by wurmfood View Post
(Not trying to add to political discussion/potential flame war, only inform.)

Several states in the US have laws that make doing certain actions while driving illegal. For example, in California it is illegal to talk on a cell phone without using a hands-free device (and illegal period for minors). It is also illegal to text-message while driving.
My feeling is you shouldn't have to legislate common sense. The fact it is necessary to do so is a pretty significant sign of these times
  Reply With Quote

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Survey: Distracted Driving

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off