07-18-10, 04:04 PM   #1
xromania™
A Frostmaul Preserver

big chat problem

After last little patch i think, i cant, after im typing few words, to select, for example, last word, using Left arrow, ctrl and shift - like in any program, cant belive. What they made with last patch, only problems, after the problem with resizing and others was solved finally by addons authors now this?........ and again nobody noticed? or only i have this problem?

Im using Chatter and Prat in same time (BECAUse chatter cant resize on all screen chat window so lets install other mega addon just for that..) but prat have almost all modules disabled. Ill try all addons options or to disable them but i dont think problem will be solved

Last edited by xromania™ : 07-18-10 at 04:08 PM.
07-18-10, 04:30 PM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
I'm sorry, xromania, but what exactly is your problem? I think you started to describe it, but got distracted by complaining about the patch and your previous problems. Or perhaps I just missed it.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

07-18-10, 05:33 PM   #3
xromania™
A Frostmaul Preserver

in any program in this world, from a text document to biggest game, you can select a word or more using left or right arrow-ctrl-shift - this directly select a word, to not lose time selecting each letter... In wow this isnt posible anymore, at last for me. I need to keep Alt pressed (so i need to press in same time 4 buttons lol) to obtain the selection and that isnt normally

Im wonder if is about keybinding or about Macaron, a addon who have keybinding too, but before the patch i had no problems

Last edited by xromania™ : 07-18-10 at 05:39 PM.
07-18-10, 07:32 PM   #4
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
What chat addon were you using before the patch? The last thing you were asking about was a default UI thing (from before the patch) that your chat addon had changed for you. This is the same. Holding Alt to use the arrow keys to move through chat is a default UI thing, and has been since.... Vanilla WoW, I think. This is so that you can still use the arrow keys to control your character while you are typing into the chat editbox. Some chat addons (including Prat *and* Chatter) have a feature to change this behavior.

I still highly suggest that you not use both addons together. They have, like, 99% of their features in common, anyway.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

07-18-10, 07:36 PM   #5
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Here you go, xromania. http://www.curse.com/blogs/sylvanaar...box-usage.aspx

07-20-10, 05:02 PM   #6
xromania™
A Frostmaul Preserver

thanks, good tips, i will try when i have time but please come back, probably ill need to figure out for example where is the "arrow" option in those addons

why in any game or program we can use arrows ctrl shift to select words directly but in wow cant is ultragious..
09-01-10, 01:18 PM   #7
xromania™
A Frostmaul Preserver

back after 2 months, lol the problem is not fixed i mean this:

after im typing few words, cant select, for example, last word, using Left arrow, ctrl and shift - like in any program. After last patch something happen and im using chatter and prat but no one fixed this

i can select if i press too the Alt key but before was posible without Alt, like in any program and like in a .txt or here when you write a post. Why in wow need to press Alt?

or probably my Alt is bugged and need to check keybindings etc?

Last edited by xromania™ : 09-01-10 at 01:46 PM.
09-01-10, 02:13 PM   #8
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
This has always been the normal behavior with a ChatFrameEditBox, my guess is you had an addon that modified this and the last patch broke it.

Following the normal behavior of a ChatFrameEditBox, you need to hold down Alt to move the cursor around. You may use this in combination with Shift to select text. You should be able to select text by pressing Alt+Shift+Left or Alt+Shift+Right. This shouldn't be processed as a keybinding, just handled directly by the EditBox.

Last edited by SDPhantom : 09-01-10 at 02:16 PM.
09-01-10, 03:33 PM   #9
xromania™
A Frostmaul Preserver

thanks, anyway need to press ctrl too to select a word and that is hard, to press 4 keys to do something important (for me). But why wow is not like any other program, games too, like a simple .txt for example
09-01-10, 03:38 PM   #10
LaDyNaaMAH
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

I suppose that chat doesn't respond to your arrow keys because blizz want to make players able to react quickly even while typing something... i find that kinda useful indeed, I'd rather pick a mouse and select text with mouse than die cause of autowalking while typing
ShoutControl - v0.1 Beta available.
09-01-10, 03:59 PM   #11
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
I'm telling you, xromania. Make sure that this box is unchecked in your Prat options.

09-01-10, 05:01 PM   #12
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by xromania™ View Post
thanks, anyway need to press ctrl too to select a word and that is hard, to press 4 keys to do something important (for me). But why wow is not like any other program, games too, like a simple .txt for example
It was designed from the start so you would still have movement control over your character with the arrow keys while typing in chat. Most of the time, I still use both hands to type and it blocks my keybinds anyway.

I don't have any problem holding down all the modifier keys with my left hand and tapping the arrow keys with my right. Although, I've never used Ctrl to select entire words, if I wanted to select everything in a hurry, I still use Ctrl+A.

It's almost second nature to me, I find myself at times still holding down Alt to move around in an IM window. About the same as the stray "/p" that sometimes appears at the start of my messages.
09-01-10, 05:08 PM   #13
xromania™
A Frostmaul Preserver

thanks Seerah now is ok. I had all prat modules not loaded because i needed only one thing from prat, it can resize the chat window on all screen and Chatter cant......

If prat can have like Chatter the Highlights options to play a sound when a specific word appear in chat id like to use only Prat..

But in Prat if Edit module is not loaded we should not have Alt as default checked please. Btw the game without any addon need Alt to do what i said or not? looking at what SDPhantom say i think no

Last edited by xromania™ : 09-01-10 at 05:44 PM.
09-01-10, 07:31 PM   #14
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
Holding Alt to use the arrow keys to move through chat is a default UI thing, and has been since.... Vanilla WoW, I think. This is so that you can still use the arrow keys to control your character while you are typing into the chat editbox. Some chat addons (including Prat *and* Chatter) have a feature to change this behavior.
As mentioned earlier, needing to hold Alt is a default UI thing. Prat is not causing the behavior. Prat can disable it, though, if you have the module enabled and the box unchecked.

09-02-10, 12:47 PM   #15
Porsha
A Black Drake
and good lord, if you are only using Prat to be able to resize the chatframe window then please...do this:

Get BasicChatMod addon from this site
Download it to your desktop (or where ever you put your ld'ed files)
Extract the file to a folder
Open it
Find inside the file named: don't_disable
Copy it
Open up your Chatter file inside your Interface\\Addons file in warcraft
Paste it inside Chatter folder
Open up chatter.toc file (or whatever the toc file for that addon is called
and under all the other modules listed type: dont_disable.lua

Save it
Load in game and volia! You should be able to adjust the chatframe window to whatever size without having to have another addon loaded for no reason.

/cheers

Hope this helps
09-02-10, 01:30 PM   #16
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

You could, of course, just do it the "lazy man" way, and highlight the word with your mouse. Might take a second or so more, but not confusing and doesn't take an addon to work right to do it.

Just my opinion.
09-03-10, 11:04 AM   #17
xromania™
A Frostmaul Preserver

jeffy i dont understand you, i think you did not read what i need.. just losing time

Porshe (sry i modified your name!) thanks for your effort, ill see but i still need to use Chatter and Prat in same time because chatter have the Highlights sound option and Prat have the Alt thing.
And why the Chatter creator cant do that please if is so simple and a common sense option... for example when you want a screen with chatting is good to have the chat window on all screen

Seerah u sure is the default UI behavior to use Alt? because i was able before, and i dont used Prat before, only Phanks chat, to make all things without Alt

Last edited by xromania™ : 09-03-10 at 11:11 AM.
09-03-10, 11:18 AM   #18
Terranell
Premium Member
Premium Member
Yes, it's always been the case with needing to use alt to use the arrow keys in the chat box.

Phanx chat also enables arrow keys without pressing alt, most chatmods do, so that'll be why it worked before.

And the comments about using Prat were probably because it's a rather big addon to be using for just one single feature.
09-03-10, 11:29 AM   #19
xromania™
A Frostmaul Preserver

most chatmods do that you said... but chatter no, strange

So i should use other little addon instead Prat to not use Alt, but im tired to search and test.
I added about chatter a comment on curse and a ticket on wowace and i left comments too in prat section. But probably in vain, like before

Last edited by xromania™ : 09-03-10 at 11:34 AM.
09-04-10, 09:36 PM   #20
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by xromania™ View Post
jeffy i dont understand you, i think you did not read what i need.. just losing time
Well, I apologize for any misunderstanding on my part, but it certainly looks (from what I read) that you are trying to select (or "highlight") a word in the chat frame edit box using a combination of keys to move the cursor around in the edit box while selecting (or "highlighting") the word. If I understand your problem correctly, here is the "lazy man's" way to do it: In the edit box, use your mouse to move to the end of the word (just after the last letter of the word) you want to select. Push and hold the left mouse button while dragging over the word. Stop dragging when you get past the first letter of the word, and release the left mouse button. The word should now be selected (or "highlighted"). If the word is not at the end of whatever you are typing, after you are done, just move the mouse to the end of whatever you have typed, and left click to put the cursor there. Might not be quite as fast, but as far as I know, it works the same for any text document and the chat edit box in WoW.

Again, if I misunderstood the problem, I apologize.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » big chat problem