12-21-07, 12:15 PM   #1
TheOnlyHitman
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Complete noob to UI making.

Hello.

First off: I don't know a thing about making UI's. Just using them.

I have used alot of different UI's in my WoW Lifetime. My favorites are the types like Spartan Ui, Genesis, and Mazzle.

After Mazzle wnet down, I sat down and started thinking: Why don't I make a UI.

So, my questions are: How do I get started making a layout like Mazzle, then make it into a full blown UI.

My MSN is: [email protected]. Email is the same.

~Hitman
12-21-07, 12:47 PM   #2
Slakah
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by TheOnlyHitman
Hello.

First off: I don't know a thing about making UI's. Just using them.

I have used alot of different UI's in my WoW Lifetime. My favorites are the types like Spartan Ui, Genesis, and Mazzle.

After Mazzle wnet down, I sat down and started thinking: Why don't I make a UI.

So, my questions are: How do I get started making a layout like Mazzle, then make it into a full blown UI.

My MSN is: [email protected]. Email is the same.

~Hitman

Download some mods mess about with them get mucky. Maybe look at other compilations see how its done then use it and play wow.
12-21-07, 12:54 PM   #3
TheOnlyHitman
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Ok. I've been looking around and What are the best mods to move and edit everything?

Also, How do I go about getting the layout? I heard something about using PS (Which I'm good at) and then useing it on WoW. How would I do That?
12-21-07, 01:24 PM   #4
Slakah
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by TheOnlyHitman
Ok. I've been looking around and What are the best mods to move and edit everything?

Also, How do I go about getting the layout? I heard something about using PS (Which I'm good at) and then useing it on WoW. How would I do That?
Take a look at Bongos 2 to get you started, and as I've already stated look at other compilations and see what makes them tick.
12-21-07, 01:53 PM   #5
Cralor
Mmm... cookies!!!

Ok. First off, I wanna make this straight:

So many people don't know that UIs are just addons put together as someones specific layout.

It isn't so spectacular. Besides the artwork that makes some different than others, it's just merely people having there view of what are the best addons, and how they are set up.

So, about the artwork:

The artwork is done through eepanels2. Some other addons provide artwork embedded, with options to change it in-game.

eepanels2 allows you to create a frame in PS, save it to the eepanels2 addons folder, and it will be uploadable/selectable in-game with the eepanels2 addon.

To do this, you must follow some guidelines and other things.

What I'd do, is search Google for an eepanels Tutorial. That should help.

Anyway, UIs consist of just a WTF and Interface folder. That's pretty much it. (WTF is the folder where WoW saves all your configurations and settings. Like cookies on the Internet.)

Hope this helps.
12-21-07, 02:05 PM   #6
TheOnlyHitman
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Cralor
Ok. First off, I wanna make this straight:

So many people don't know that UIs are just addons put together as someones specific layout.

It isn't so spectacular. Besides the artwork that makes some different than others, it's just merely people having there view of what are the best addons, and how they are set up.

So, about the artwork:

The artwork is done through eepanels2. Some other addons provide artwork embedded, with options to change it in-game.

eepanels2 allows you to create a frame in PS, save it to the eepanels2 addons folder, and it will be uploadable/selectable in-game with the eepanels2 addon.

To do this, you must follow some guidelines and other things.

What I'd do, is search Google for an eepanels Tutorial. That should help.

Anyway, UIs consist of just a WTF and Interface folder. That's pretty much it. (WTF is the folder where WoW saves all your configurations and settings. Like cookies on the Internet.)

Hope this helps.
It did. I must have took the past hour looking around at UI's, and found that out. I have noticed that they all include:

eepanels/Bongos/Bartender
Fubar/Titanpanel/
Pitbull/Prat/Xloot
And a few others.

But you told me what I needed to know. How to get my own layout into the game.
12-21-07, 03:09 PM   #7
biggdady0823
A Kobold Labourer
I have also noticed, that Trinity bars are used alot for changing the layout of your buttons. I use that one. I actually like it alot more than the one that was with mazzle, I think it was bongos, but not real sure on that one.
12-21-07, 06:58 PM   #8
TheOnlyHitman
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Ok. I've been messing around with Bongos2, and I need to know sometihng:

How do I get a Backround image?

EX: On MazzleUI, the bottom black part, were everything is.
12-22-07, 01:01 PM   #9
Gemini_II
A Molten Giant

The background images would be handled through eePanels2 or similar mod. Bongos/Bartender/Trinity will only do the buttons/bars.

12-23-07, 12:11 PM   #10
TheOnlyHitman
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Took me a whole 2 min of messing around with eePanels2 to figure that out.

I'm pretty sure I got all I need to know now.

Thanks to all of that helped me.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Complete noob to UI making.