12-20-08, 08:44 PM   #1
Cryose
A Murloc Raider
Question Looking for a Certain UI

First off, here's a pic of my UI. Well, mostly. My realm Dragonblight is locked (planning on switching soon), so I just made another character with a very similar UI. I know it's not good, coupled with the fact that it's not my "original," but here's what I have so far.

Also, I just started playing WoW, my main character being a level 13 NE Hunter, so I don't have a lot of knowledge anyway. However, I've found the chat text on the left to be in the way. Is there a UI out there so that I can move/resize that? Thanks.

Also, I have RedRange, QuestGuru, and Graphpaper, you just can't see them in that pic.
12-20-08, 09:03 PM   #2
Ailae
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
When you hover your mouse over the Chatframe you'll see a couple of 'tabs' pop out. If you right-click on a tab a menu will pop out and you can click 'Unlock'. You can now move the frame by dragging the tab. If you want to resize it you can grab the upper right corner and resize it to your liking.

Just remember to access the menu and lock the frame when you're done.
12-20-08, 09:40 PM   #3
Cryose
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Ailae View Post
When you hover your mouse over the Chatframe you'll see a couple of 'tabs' pop out. If you right-click on a tab a menu will pop out and you can click 'Unlock'. You can now move the frame by dragging the tab. If you want to resize it you can grab the upper right corner and resize it to your liking.

Just remember to access the menu and lock the frame when you're done.
Thanks, that worked great! Is that what all/most people do to fix this?

I also used the UI scale, which freed up some space as well.
12-20-08, 09:52 PM   #4
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Yep. There aren't any mods that provide a way to move/resize the chat frame as it is already built in, though some chat mods have a feature that lets you make your chat frame larger/smaller than the limits set by the game.

Playing with your UI scale is another good way to make room, yes. I usually play with it about halfway between its default setting and the lowest (about 75-80% scale). Too small, and I can't read the text. >.<
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

12-20-08, 10:39 PM   #5
Cryose
A Murloc Raider
Okay, I think I have got this much better now. However, I have a new problem. I'm using that addon RedRange, which is very useful, but for some reason is now making my whole button solid red. It's not a huge deal, but I can't find a fix for it. If someone has a fix or better replacement, I would appreciate that as well.
12-20-08, 10:41 PM   #6
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Yep, that's what the addon does. If you're out of range, it turns your button red. I *think* that the default UI turns your keybinding red if you are out of range, but it's been a long time since I've used the default UI, and I might be mistaken.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

12-21-08, 09:36 AM   #7
Psoewish
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Redrange has always done that for me too :P

Also, I highly suggest decreasing your UI scale, and increase the font size if you're having trouble reading text (right click on chat tab again, font size should be somewhere there). Your buttons right now are huge, and really don't need to take up that much space.

Also, you have Graphpaper and yet your targetframe is a few pixels higher than your playerframe!? [/OCD]
12-21-08, 04:25 PM   #8
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
psst! Psoewish! He already said he turned down his UI scale in an above post. Also, that only turns font size back up on chat frames - not everywhere else.

12-21-08, 10:14 PM   #9
Cryose
A Murloc Raider
Thanks all for your help

This is basically what I have now. The buttons/X-Perl stuff at the top are moved around a little, but this is basically what I use. It just feels a little constricted; any short-term advice on it?
12-22-08, 12:04 AM   #10
Psoewish
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Maybe you could change the scale of the action bars a bit, and then scale down the bottom frame as well, or add another bar to it? Even if you're a clicker, those buttons are really huge right now

Also I think you have 2 overlapping frames at the top on the very right.
12-22-08, 09:10 AM   #11
Cryose
A Murloc Raider
Really? They're still huge? I'm probably just thing they're small enough because I don't have a lot of buttons to work with. And yes, I'm a clicker

Also, is the overall concept okay for a low level, or should I make some major changes?
12-22-08, 09:23 AM   #12
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I have a couple friends who play as clickers. They started off pretty meh, but one of them got a 'bar mod' that put spells "on" the target (parented to the frame I suspect)... anyway, long story short, they improved greatly by using it. I know they got it here on WoWI, but I don't know which one it is. You might give it a try if someone can point you to the right one (I'll call him in a few hours to ask, he's at work right now).

Sorry if this post isn't helpful, or vague at best... I just know the 2 of them do a lot better as clickers since using that addon. Short of that, I'd recommend scaling down and learning the keybind features and such. As is right now, your ui takes up a ton of screen real estate. Whichever way you decide to go... good luck .

Edit: I think the addon he got was oPie. I know it was round, but I never actually asked him much about it...

Last edited by Yhor : 12-22-08 at 09:47 AM.
12-22-08, 10:33 AM   #13
Psoewish
A Scalebane Royal Guard

I think Geist would work excellent for that purpose Yhor.
12-22-08, 11:59 AM   #14
Cryose
A Murloc Raider
Actually, I tried OPie, and I love it! I think that I may have gone overboard, but it really cleans up my UI. I would suggest it for anyone.
12-22-08, 12:11 PM   #15
Alkar
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

this is what i use now my own compilation may want to use something more streamline i also us opie and clique stuff like that
I am also a healer so i try to make due with making things easy by having click casting mods Lots of good stuff out there.. i would say play with them and see what you like.. It's ur UI no one elses

Last edited by Alkar : 12-22-08 at 12:13 PM.
12-22-08, 12:46 PM   #16
Psoewish
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Originally Posted by Cryose View Post
Actually, I tried OPie, and I love it! I think that I may have gone overboard, but it really cleans up my UI. I would suggest it for anyone.
That looks a lot cleaner than what you had before.
12-22-08, 01:39 PM   #17
Cryose
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Psoewish View Post
That looks a lot cleaner than what you had before.
Thanks, but I have another problem now (solve one, and two more come up ). While OPie is great, it doesn't show the cooldown of an ability and redrange doesn't work on it. Oh well, I'll figure it out.
12-22-08, 02:11 PM   #18
Psoewish
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Originally Posted by Cryose View Post
Thanks, but I have another problem now (solve one, and two more come up ). While OPie is great, it doesn't show the cooldown of an ability and redrange doesn't work on it. Oh well, I'll figure it out.
Well as I already mentioned before, you could try Geist, which should work with redrange.

I found OPie to be more of an out-of-combat solution.
12-22-08, 06:00 PM   #19
Cryose
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Psoewish View Post
Well as I already mentioned before, you could try Geist, which should work with redrange.

I found OPie to be more of an out-of-combat solution.
Okay, what you say makes sense so I tried Geist, but I could not get it at all. Like, I have no idea how to use it, even after checking the AOs comments. Could I get some help? Sorry if I'm asking too many questions, lol.
12-22-08, 11:23 PM   #20
Psoewish
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Geist provides a twenty-five button action bar that displays under the mouse cursor at a keypress for quick and convenient access.

How to use: Bind a key to Geist using the keybinding interface in the menu. Geist will display whenever that key is pressed with the mouse over the center button.
From the addon description page :P
That seems to just work for me too, so I'm not sure what you're doing wrong.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Looking for a Certain UI