10-21-08, 07:06 PM   #101
mikey2k
A Cliff Giant
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
mazzie m8 why or what exactly is stopping you from updating the ui?

please let us know as im confused!
10-21-08, 07:13 PM   #102
Charybdis
A Cyclonian
Mazzle does not have an active subscription to WoW anymore, hasn't for a while, hence all the patching and patches of patches.
10-21-08, 07:19 PM   #103
mikey2k
A Cliff Giant
without being rude, why are you answering for him?
10-21-08, 07:45 PM   #104
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by mikey2k View Post
Because it's likely that's the only answer you'll get... the answer has been asked and answered many times, in many forms. If you read through enough of these forums, you'll find your exact question, and a very similar answer written in green.
10-21-08, 10:49 PM   #105
Charybdis
A Cyclonian
Originally Posted by mikey2k View Post
Because I know the answer and was here when he announced he was no longer playing actively. Do a forum search for posts from Mazzle if you'd like, you'll find the same thing.
10-22-08, 02:40 AM   #106
Raegormar
A Fallenroot Satyr
A lot of patching has to do with rewriting code. . The devs here are infusing the mazzle code with new blood, and new organs. That code isn't mazzle anymore. Shape it into a new body, and let it go. The artwork is from 3rd parties as well. Some of the devs have indeed rewritten large portions. Learn from the core, use it to create. Then release.
10-22-08, 08:53 AM   #107
mikey2k
A Cliff Giant
i wasnt getting at mazzle and im sorry if it came across as such, i just feel a bit sad that such a great ui was/is being laid to rest and if posible i would love to help to get it rewriten and redistributed.
10-22-08, 10:34 AM   #108
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Raegormar View Post
A lot of patching has to do with rewriting code. . The devs here are infusing the mazzle code with new blood, and new organs. That code isn't mazzle anymore. Shape it into a new body, and let it go. The artwork is from 3rd parties as well. Some of the devs have indeed rewritten large portions. Learn from the core, use it to create. Then release.
No offense, but that's nonsense. You cannot re-write copied code until it becomes original code. You can rewrite any "organ" you want, infuse blood, amputate an ear, make it take a leak, whatever, but it would still be derivative code that violates the copyright. In certain commercial cases, they actually developed a four tier test that looked at the code at multiple levels of abstraction specifically to look for cases where people tried to do what you describe.

If you want your own thing, then just start from scratch and do your own thing. But don't buy into this organ replacement nonsense. That approach is nothing more than plagiarism.
10-22-08, 10:44 AM   #109
Nighrunner
A Cyclonian

Originally Posted by Mazzlefizz View Post

No offense, but that's nonsense. You cannot re-write copied code until it becomes original code. You can rewrite any "organ" you want, infuse blood, amputate an ear, make it take a leak, whatever, but it would still be derivative code that violates the copyright. In certain commercial cases, they actually developed a four tier test that looked at the code at multiple levels of abstraction specifically to look for cases where people tried to do what you describe.

If you want your own thing, then just start from scratch and do your own thing. But don't buy into this organ replacement nonsense. That approach is nothing more than plagiarism.
LOL! Just tell them that you want to keep your ui dead.

10-22-08, 10:45 AM   #110
silentdave
A Defias Bandit

without getting involved in the political debate, found some info on DUF while browsing through the american forums for my own stuff..

I have just about every action bar out there and DAB is the king IMO. The code has been updated and works well in wotlk with very little code change http://underworldexodus.com/forum/fo...view&post=8485 and the new discord library(3.0.2).

Duf (Discord unit frames) has also been updated and works well. Dudeinthedark has done some masterful work to revive these mods. Anyone who has not tried them is missing out.
from here
10-22-08, 11:24 AM   #111
Zavierv
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Nighrunner View Post
LOL I agree.. just tell them Mazz you don't play anymore, care anymore.. Oh wait.. I believe you did this already..

lol scratch the care part because you really really are going ape **** over this "it's my code" thing

Last edited by Zavierv : 10-22-08 at 11:27 AM.
10-22-08, 11:28 AM   #112
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Nighrunner View Post
I would if that were true, but it is not. I've worked with four people before to keep things going, and I've responded to two people recently who showed some interest. Just because I don't want people to cannibalize it for their own use does not mean I want it to die.
10-22-08, 12:07 PM   #113
Rosenskjold
A Murloc Raider
pls keep the the debat on mazzle copyright stuff out of this topic...
I really need this ui...
10-22-08, 04:38 PM   #114
silentdave
A Defias Bandit

Tbh, If i was contemplating this kind of a project at this moment in time, I would go with a fresh start, the time that you guys would save using/patching existing code would be lost figuring out the interdependencies of the that code.

Main pros of going with existing code:
Problem identification - mostly already done, you just need to get some of it working again.
Scope and Direction - this can be the hardest part of anything, ie where do you draw the finish line.
Existing template of how things need to be.

Main cons of existing code
figuring the interdependencies out.
identifying what needs updating.
updating the outdated sections such that they still work as intended.
constraints on existing code.

tbh, if you ask any mazzleui user what the single best feature was/is most of them would probably say the mazzifier - that one thing took all the hassle out of setting the ui up. It provided a well designed, ordered and intuitive approach to tweaking nearly every aspect of the ui. Imo its the mazzifier that set mazzleui above the rest.

the success of mazzleui wasn't just reliant on the effort put into getting the project done, it was heavily due to the ongoing support the project got from mazzle and various other devs, even after mazzle quit wow there was still alot of ongoing effort and time invested into the project, thats the real keystone to its success imo and thats what you guys need to be prepared for.

Given all of the above, imo, the best bet would be to design a brand new project from the ground up, otherwise you'll always have something hampering your efforts, afterall there are plenty of skins out there, most of the stuff that mazzleui did in its core can be done again by you guys anyway, spartanui is a good example of that.

the above is just how i'm seeing things based on the posts on here.

Last edited by silentdave : 10-22-08 at 04:42 PM.
10-23-08, 12:46 PM   #115
bruj0
An Aku'mai Servant

I modified Kgpanels to use libBanzai and retint all the panels to red on aggro and back to normal when losing aggro. This was done because the "onevent" scripts that kgpanels uses dont work well.

http://rapidshare.com/files/156876674/kgpanels.rar.html

Theres also a directory inside "config" with my layout. Im going to finish the hotspots implementation and release my UI:

http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=18780
10-23-08, 03:31 PM   #116
Peneth
A Fallenroot Satyr
Apolis is currently, according to the deal, supposed to be working on the project on Beta. I haven't heard back from him for a while, and would encourage anyone of the devs/coders to contact him to ask him what's he's done so far in terms of helping to bring the UI up to date.
10-23-08, 04:32 PM   #117
missakins
A Kobold Labourer
Red face not a coder, but want to help

I don't currently use mazzle because I wasn't willing to tinker with it to the extent that others have has to lately to get it to work.

That said, I'm also not a coder.

I *am* technical though, and I can report error messages accurately, and put whatever comes out through it's paces.

So I'm volunteering to test whatever bits and pieces come out of this.
10-23-08, 06:14 PM   #118
gent
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by bruj0 View Post
I modified Kgpanels to use libBanzai and retint all the panels to red on aggro and back to normal when losing aggro. This was done because the "onevent" scripts that kgpanels uses dont work well.

http://rapidshare.com/files/156876674/kgpanels.rar.html

Theres also a directory inside "config" with my layout. Im going to finish the hotspots implementation and release my UI:

http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=18780
Bust out that bad boy...
10-23-08, 06:33 PM   #119
apolis
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
currently i'm at a stand still on what to do. seems like everyone is fighting about whether to fix mazzle or make a new one. I've taken a look at what main add-ons mazzle uses. from what i've seen they are the ones circled in the picture

I've updated all of the main dependencies but Babble-2.2 is no longer supoorted. They've changed it to sub libraries now known as LibBabble-*insert Library* 3.0
10-23-08, 09:46 PM   #120
bruj0
An Aku'mai Servant

Originally Posted by gent View Post
Bust out that bad boy...
Here it is:

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...braxhasUI.html

Cheers

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » MazzleUI 3.0/WOTLK Devs Only