10-26-07, 12:41 PM   #1
Wyart
A Murloc Raider
Obtaining Objective Answers to WoW Questions

In order to find some concrete answers (i.e., not just opinions) to several questions involving strategy and gameplay within the context of World of Warcraft, it is necessary to gather good objective data regarding player choices and actual gaming experiences. To be able to demonstrate the intellectual sophistication of this activity, thereby silencing critics who, without any evidence, generally portray WoW as a mind-numbing game, one needs to show the mental processes involved in playing it.

We are a group of university researchers (and also avid WoW players) at the Graduate Program of Cognitive Psychology of the Federal University of Pernambuco, in Brazil (http://www.ufpe.br/psicologia), investigating psychological aspects of MMORPGs, particularly World of Warcraft, with emphasis on problem-solving, decision-making, motivations, gameplay, and satisfaction. Our main interests involve the cognitive dimensions of the game, though we will also definitely consider the issues of gameplay styles, choices, strategies, and their impacts on results (i.e., try to obtain the answers to some interesting "theorycraft" questions).

All of you, Horde and Alliance alike, can help by clicking on the following link (http://www.site.ecco.nom.br/formular...asp?q=bruno01#) and filling out our research form. In order to adequately encompass the gaming experience, it includes a fairly substantial number of questions (a little over 90), but it shouldnt take too long to answer them (estimate some 15-20 min).

Once we obtain the necessary data and have analyzed it, we will first share our findings with the participants and the player community for appreciation and discussion at http://www.vademecum.com.br/thewowcognitiveproject, where one will also find more information about our research project. Eventually, the final results will be part of two master's dissertations, as well as submitted for publication in indexed scientific journals.

Thank you all so very much.

Bruno Campello de Souza, D.Sc.

P.S.

There is no monetary profit being sought or offered in regards to this research effort.
10-31-07, 03:13 PM   #2
Wyart
A Murloc Raider
C'mon guys... We need your help. It will only take 15 min or so of your time.
10-31-07, 03:54 PM   #3
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Part of the lack of response may be because it is in Portuguese?
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
10-31-07, 04:44 PM   #4
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Cairenn
Ditto here. My knowledge of Portuguese is shall we say, lacking? Best to rewrite this survey completely in English. Also a few groups have come through gathering data on WoW players for research projects so people may be jaded. Toss in the fact that many people do not want give out info on the web due to them or those they know getting burned.
10-31-07, 05:39 PM   #5
Wowgamer233
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Indeed...

I find it strange that such an eloquent and well stated goal in English should result in a Portuguese survey....
10-31-07, 10:42 PM   #6
acapela
A Cobalt Mageweaver
besides, most of my playtime in WoW *IS* in fact mind-numbing... which, as far as i can tell, is exactly as Blizzard intends it. they did not think very far outside the box, unfortunately.

there is not much collaborative problem solving, social interaction in a virtual environment, role-playing creativity, or whatever, involved in all the grinding, level climbing, farming, grinding, farming, farming, grinding, and farming that occupy the vast majority of the typical player's time.

getting cranky about all the players from the other faction stealing my kills, and retaliating by stealing theirs... that is about as much contemperaneous excitement as i seem to get, in solo play, these days.

the reward for me is the slow construction of a character, building it up and then trying it out in more difficult content (raid content, group PvP, etc, all at the level cap). pretty extreme deferral of gratification there.
11-01-07, 12:31 PM   #7
Kaomie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

That and, if I understand correctly, the first step involves providing your email address. Even if it is legitimate study, it is courteous to first provide the questions and eventually at the end ask people for an email address if they are interested in the result of the study.

The way it is set right now I see no difference with a basic email phishing site (which again is probably not the case, but it looks that way). That's the personal reason why I did not even bother checking the survey further

Last edited by Kaomie : 11-01-07 at 01:12 PM.
11-01-07, 02:59 PM   #8
Republic
Paladin

Originally Posted by Kaomie
That and, if I understand correctly, the first step involves providing your email address. Even if it is legitimate study, it is courteous to first provide the questions and eventually at the end ask people for an email address if they are interested in the result of the study.

The way it is set right now I see no difference with a basic email phishing site (which again is probably not the case, but it looks that way). That's the personal reason why I did not even bother checking the survey further
For these reasons, and the fact I feel like I'm doing some kid's homework, I chose not to bother. If this survey was as well planned as it pretended, it would seem they would offer an English survey seeing as though they are soliciting participants on English website(s).
11-02-07, 07:48 AM   #9
Wyart
A Murloc Raider
To Everyone,

The ONE website in Portuguese is the one referring to the Brazilian institution that myself and my team are affiliated to (http://www.ufpe.br/psicologia). The one describing the project (http://www.vademecum.com.br/thewowcognitiveproject), and, most importantly, the research form itself (http://www.site.ecco.nom.br/formula....asp?q=bruno01#) are both in English.

As to the request of the e-mail, it is really just a technical requirement due to the limited programming skills of the person who designed the system. In our instructions in that page (also in English), we clearly mention that there is no need to put forth one's real e-mail if one is not willing to do so (just anything with an "@" and a ".").

We acknowledge inconveniences and shortcomings in the mechanics of our research effort, and we apologize for them. It is basically a consequence of our limited resources as a 3rd World country. But our goal is legitimate, and so is our need, which is why we truly appreciate the patience and time of anyone helping us out.

Thank you.
11-02-07, 08:48 AM   #10
Kaomie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Have you clicked your own links?

Unless there is some browser-not-detecting-the-text-locales issue the first question appears as:
QUESTION: 1
INSTRUCTIONS: pretendemos enviar-lhe uma síntese dos resultados desta pesquisa. Que e-mail devemos utilizar?
Or we are not talking about the same thing...

Last edited by Kaomie : 11-02-07 at 08:54 AM.
11-02-07, 09:12 AM   #11
Wyart
A Murloc Raider
Ok, this is weird... I can absolutely assure you that the page in question had a text in English until at least a few days ago (I checked myself and also through various English-speaking friends that this was indeed the case). I have just actioned our webmaster to correct this asap.

Thank's for pointing out this problem. I can only speculate as to why it happened (mays something was erased and an old backup was used... I really don't know). Anyhow, if someone hadn't mentioned it to me, I would be oblivious to it.

In any case, my previous post already informs you of the policy regarding e-mail (there is no need to put forth one's real e-mail if one is not willing to do so, just use anything with an "@" and a ".").
11-02-07, 09:21 AM   #12
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Unfortunately for you, it has always appeared in Portuguese on this end from day one, hence the lack of response. Sorry we didn't bring it to your attention sooner.
11-02-07, 12:39 PM   #13
kasca
A Frostmaul Preserver
Thumbs down

1) it still in portages.

2) I dont give my email to ANYONE i dont know where it going!

3) I wish the owners would lock this one out. Becase it sure looks like a scam
11-02-07, 12:56 PM   #14
Jzar
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Talking

rotflol GG, guys... Well, I'm in the middle of the survey right now, and it's in perfect English. I just have to laugh that it asks what the level of my most important profession on my main character it is, and then calls me a liar. Well, OK, it doesn't call me a liar, it gives me an out of bounds exception, but they're practically the same. I assure you -- enchanting DOES hit 385 on blood elves!
11-02-07, 01:13 PM   #15
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by kasca
We checked out the OP thoroughly before we allowed it to stay on the site.
11-02-07, 02:15 PM   #16
Kaomie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

We checked out the OP thoroughly before we allowed it to stay on the site.
I was curious too but from what I found the various domains used seem legit, with his Personal Company website for the homepage, the website of his University and a random Hosting Service provider for the survey itself. (contrary to the US Brazil protects Internet Privacy a bit more so you have to query the appropriate BR registrars and understand a bit of Portuguese to retrieve the info, but nothing too hard).

Originally Posted by kasca
That you will never know for sure, unless you start receiving Brazilian spam I still believe it's genuine, otherwise it's either a masterpiece or very poor, because all the contact information (including phones and addresses) can be retrieved. Whether or not they are the actual persons remains an open question

Originally Posted by Jzar
Well, I'm in the middle of the survey right now, and it's in perfect English.
As I said I never went past the first question, being in Portuguese and asking for an email.

Thanks for the OP anyway, quite entertaining

Last edited by Kaomie : 11-02-07 at 02:17 PM.
11-02-07, 02:47 PM   #17
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by Kaomie
Whether or not they are the actual persons remains an open question
No it doesn't. As I said, we checked it out thoroughly.
11-02-07, 03:48 PM   #18
Kaomie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

No it doesn't. As I said, we checked it out thoroughly.
Did you give him a call or do you have some entries with the FBI?
11-02-07, 04:44 PM   #19
Tyrolit
A Black Drake

well none of the links are working for me.

if this IS genuine, please make it apear more so, i will help if im convinced this is a genuine survey
11-02-07, 05:23 PM   #20
Beacon
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
It's in perfect english after that first page.

Also, fix the herbalism thing, cause I'm at 390/375 (Tauren ftw) and it says "you're a dirty liar"

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Obtaining Objective Answers to WoW Questions