09-09-14, 02:05 AM   #1
InfamousX
A Fallenroot Satyr
Massive help needed.

Hi everyone!
Rather than make multiple threads or posts about different things, I decided it would likely be best to ask everything at once. I apologize for the incoming wall of text.

So here it goes:

I'll start with addons I'm looking for.

An addon to skin my bags. I currently have Bagnon, so that must be taken into account. I currently have Aurora - not sure if that matters, but I want a similar (if not exact) style.

An addon to place raid markers on targets. Similar to the one in ElvUI. Preferably with transparent background behind the raid markers. Bonus if it works with Raid icons by hankthetank.

Next up is features I'm looking for in addons I currently have installed. LUA experts, I challenge you!

Stuf:

Is it possible to have separate locations for target and focus bars depending on player location? In an arena, I'd like my target and focus frames to be on the left side of my character so that they are closer to my Grid2 party frames. In an RBG, I'd prefer my target and focus frames be on the right side of my character so that they are closer to my BattlegroundTargets frame.

The ability to fade a unit frame (ie: pet) when they are out of range. This feature was extremely useful in SUF and it would be great to have in Stuf as well.

A way I can hide my Stuf player frame until one(or more) of the following is true?: [a] have a target [b] in combat [c] health deficit - c is going to be the tricky one.

WeakAuras:

Inspired by FPS games, I want something similar to the "kill feed." Ideally, it would show the killer's name (without realm, colored by faction) on the left, either a sword or skull icon in the middle, and the killee's name (also without faction and colored by faction) on the right.

Just an idea that I had for an FPS style UI I'm going to be putting together once I have a bit more LUA and WoW API knowledge.

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY REPLIES!
09-09-14, 02:22 AM   #2
Resike
A Pyroguard Emberseer
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by InfamousX View Post
Inspired by FPS games, I want something similar to the "kill feed." Ideally, it would show the killer's name (without realm, colored by faction) on the left, either a sword or skull icon in the middle, and the killee's name (also without faction and colored by faction) on the right.

Just an idea that I had for an FPS style UI I'm going to be putting together once I have a bit more LUA and WoW API knowledge.

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY REPLIES!
I already have plans to create such an addon for battlegrounds, but i plan to use the spell's icon rather then sword or skull. Mostly it will look like the kills in CS:GO.
09-09-14, 03:49 AM   #3
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...-KillFeed.html
09-09-14, 04:57 AM   #4
Phanx
Cat.

An addon to skin my bags. I currently have Bagnon, so that must be taken into account. I currently have Aurora - not sure if that matters, but I want a similar (if not exact) style.
If you already have a bag addon, and you already have an addon that skins your bag addon in a style you want, what exactly are you looking for?

An addon to place raid markers on targets. Similar to the one in ElvUI. Preferably with transparent background behind the raid markers. Bonus if it works with Raid icons by hankthetank.
I'm not familiar with what things look like in ElvUI, but you'll find lots of raid marking addons here on WoWInterface. Just look through them and pick the one that best fits the style you're looking for.

Stuf: Is it possible to have separate locations for target and focus bars depending on player location? In an arena, I'd like my target and focus frames to be on the left side of my character so that they are closer to my Grid2 party frames. In an RBG, I'd prefer my target and focus frames be on the right side of my character so that they are closer to my BattlegroundTargets frame.
If Stuf supports profiles, just set up two different profiles, one with the target and focus frames on the left, and one with them on the right, and then set up a macro to switch between them as needed. If it doesn't support profiles, or if you want to change your whole UI at once, use Reflux to set up UI-wide profiles.

The ability to fade a unit frame (ie: pet) when they are out of range. This feature was extremely useful in SUF and it would be great to have in Stuf as well.
If Stuf doesn't have this feature, and there's no plugin to add it, then your options are (a) write code to add the feature yourself, (b) ask the addon's author to add the feature, hope they accept, and wait for them to do it, or (c) go back to using SUF (or another addon) if it provides the features you want.

A way I can hide my Stuf player frame until one(or more) of the following is true?: [a] have a target [b] in combat [c] health deficit - c is going to be the tricky one.
A and B are possible. C is not possible, as you are not allowed to show or hide secure frames (which includes unit frames and action buttons, among others) while in combat, except in response to Blizzard-approved conditions, which are the same conditions you can use in macros. Health deficit is not one of those conditions. The best you could do would be to set the frame's opacity to zero, making it invisible, but it would still be clickable.
09-09-14, 01:34 PM   #5
Tonyleila
A Molten Giant

You coud skin Bagnon with Aurora: Missing Textures or you coud use DerpyStuffing Bags, it fit well to Aurora.

Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
If you already have a bag addon, and you already have an addon that skins your bag addon in a style you want, what exactly are you looking for?
Auroa dosen't skin Bagnon.

Last edited by Tonyleila : 09-09-14 at 02:42 PM.
09-09-14, 03:48 PM   #6
InfamousX
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Resike View Post
I already have plans to create such an addon for battlegrounds, but i plan to use the spell's icon rather then sword or skull. Mostly it will look like the kills in CS:GO.
I don't really need to know the spell that did the killing, just the person. Cool concept though!

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll see if it suits what I'm looking for. As previously stated, I'm not really interested in seeing the spell, just who killed who. Going to tinker with it and post an update.

I'm not familiar with what things look like in ElvUI, but you'll find lots of raid marking addons here on WoWInterface. Just look through them and pick the one that best fits the style you're looking for.
Thanks for the list - I'll check them out!

If Stuf supports profiles, just set up two different profiles, one with the target and focus frames on the left, and one with them on the right, and then set up a macro to switch between them as needed. If it doesn't support profiles, or if you want to change your whole UI at once, use Reflux to set up UI-wide profiles.
I thought about that, and while it would work, I was searching for a way to have it auto-enable when I go into one of the PvP instances. If this isn't possible I can just stick to the macro.

If Stuf doesn't have this feature, and there's no plugin to add it, then your options are (a) write code to add the feature yourself, (b) ask the addon's author to add the feature, hope they accept, and wait for them to do it, or (c) go back to using SUF (or another addon) if it provides the features you want.
Currently learning LUA and don't possess enough knowledge to make this happen myself. I was hoping someone might be able to post a snippet for me. I've already suggested it to the author by email and wowinterface with no response to either. There's too many features in Stuf that SUF doesn't have, I wouldn't be willing to make the switch back. It's not a huge issue, just something I got quite a lot of use out of before.

A and B are possible. C is not possible, as you are not allowed to show or hide secure frames (which includes unit frames and action buttons, among others) while in combat, except in response to Blizzard-approved conditions, which are the same conditions you can use in macros. Health deficit is not one of those conditions. The best you could do would be to set the frame's opacity to zero, making it invisible, but it would still be clickable.
I figured this was the case. Thank you again.

Originally Posted by Tonyleila View Post
You coud skin Bagnon with Aurora: Missing Textures or you coud use DerpyStuffing Bags, it fit well to Aurora.
Exactly what I was looking for, thank you!
09-10-14, 04:28 PM   #7
Phanx
Cat.

... I was searching for a way to have it auto-enable when I go into one of the PvP instances. If this isn't possible I can just stick to the macro.
You could do this with Reflux fairly easily; something like:

Code:
local f = CreateFrame("Frame")
f:RegisterEvent("ZONE_CHANGED_NEW_AREA")
f:SetScript("OnEvent", function(self, event, ...)
     local _, instanceType = GetInstanceInfo()
     if instanceType == "arena" then
          SlashCmdList["REFLUX"]("switch MyArenaProfile")
     elseif instanceType == "pvp" then
          SlashCmdList["REFLUX"]("switch MyBattlegroundProfile")
     else
          SlashCmdList["REFLUX"]("switch MyNormalProfile")
     end
end)
Currently learning LUA and don't possess enough knowledge to make this happen myself. I was hoping someone might be able to post a snippet for me.
Adding a major feature to a full-fledged unit frame addon like Stuf would require quite a bit more than just a "snippet" you could copy/paste into one location. Most likely you would need to add new code in multiple places, possibly multiple files, and modify existing sections of code. If you wanted any control over the feature through in-game options, that would require even more code in yet another location.
09-11-14, 08:13 PM   #8
InfamousX
A Fallenroot Satyr
You could do this with Reflux fairly easily; something like:

Code:
local f = CreateFrame("Frame")
f:RegisterEvent("ZONE_CHANGED_NEW_AREA")
f:SetScript("OnEvent", function(self, event, ...)
     local _, instanceType = GetInstanceInfo()
     if instanceType == "arena" then
          SlashCmdList["REFLUX"]("switch MyArenaProfile")
     elseif instanceType == "pvp" then
          SlashCmdList["REFLUX"]("switch MyBattlegroundProfile")
     else
          SlashCmdList["REFLUX"]("switch MyNormalProfile")
     end
end)
Awesome, I'll try it out! Thank you.

Adding a major feature to a full-fledged unit frame addon like Stuf would require quite a bit more than just a "snippet" you could copy/paste into one location. Most likely you would need to add new code in multiple places, possibly multiple files, and modify existing sections of code. If you wanted any control over the feature through in-game options, that would require even more code in yet another location.
Definitely makes sense. Do you have any advice about learning LUA along with the WoW API? Resources, etc.? At this point I'd be willing to pay to find a good source (course, even).
09-11-14, 11:59 PM   #9
Phanx
Cat.

Do you have any advice about learning LUA along with the WoW API? Resources, etc.? At this point I'd be willing to pay to find a good source (course, even).
I'm not aware of any paid courses or resources, other than the "World of Warcraft Programming" book which I've never read, but I know that some other people around here have had positive results with it. Some aspects of it may be out of date by now, as the last edition was published during Wrath, and I can't say anything good about its use of XML (which is horrible and you don't need to use it for WoW addons unless you're doing certain Super Mega Black Magic Wizard Stuff) but the basics should still be sound if you prefer a more structured approach to learning.

Personally I prefer looking at working examples (eg. other people's addons that are already written and working) and referring to documentation. You can find a somewhat comprehensive list of relevant documentation for WoW Lua on my site -- http://phanx.net/addons/resources -- and there's a sticky thread somewhere here on WoWI that may have a few other links.
09-12-14, 07:03 AM   #10
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

There is an irc channel on freenode called #wowuidev with people that are generally willing to help answer questions.
09-12-14, 03:43 PM   #11
InfamousX
A Fallenroot Satyr
I'm not aware of any paid courses or resources, other than the "World of Warcraft Programming" book which I've never read, but I know that some other people around here have had positive results with it. Some aspects of it may be out of date by now, as the last edition was published during Wrath, and I can't say anything good about its use of XML (which is horrible and you don't need to use it for WoW addons unless you're doing certain Super Mega Black Magic Wizard Stuff) but the basics should still be sound if you prefer a more structured approach to learning.

Personally I prefer looking at working examples (eg. other people's addons that are already written and working) and referring to documentation. You can find a somewhat comprehensive list of relevant documentation for WoW Lua on my site -- http://phanx.net/addons/resources -- and there's a sticky thread somewhere here on WoWI that may have a few other links.
Originally Posted by semlar View Post
There is an irc channel on freenode called #wowuidev with people that are generally willing to help answer questions.
You guys are awesome! Thank you for your suggestions. Hopefully soon I'll have developed my own addon. (:
09-12-14, 05:04 PM   #12
Phanx
Cat.

Hopefully soon I'll have developed my own addon. (:
Just please, dear god please, do not make it another "auto repair and sell gray items" addon. There are already enough of those to last us until the heat death of the universe.
09-12-14, 05:17 PM   #13
Tim
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Just please, dear god please, do not make it another "auto repair and sell gray items" addon. There are already enough of those to last us until the heat death of the universe.
But it's so easy to make one and then apply for a WoD code!
Battle Tag: Mysterio#11164
Current PC Setup: PCPartPicker List
09-12-14, 11:04 PM   #14
Rilgamon
Premium Member

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
But it's so easy to make one and then apply for a WoD code!
shhhhhh ... that was meant to stay secret. But it explains why I got in without applying
09-13-14, 12:35 PM   #15
InfamousX
A Fallenroot Satyr
No worries, Phanx! I have a few ideas, but I won't post anything that has already has a standalone addon for what I'm trying to accomplish. I'm already in Beta anyway. (:
09-13-14, 08:00 PM   #16
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Feel free to create one, if that is what you wish to use as your starting point for learning.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Massive help needed.