09-14-12, 04:48 PM   #1
sirann
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
oUF_AuraBars

So I tried modifying/adding some code to this plug in. Essentially I'd like 4 aura blocks, player buffs, player debuffs, target buffs, target debuffs.

It seemed to me there was no easy way to separate buff from debuff other than to write a separate function that only chose buffs, and alter the current function to only choose debuffs.

The following is the code that I came up with:

http://pastebin.com/V0uFmRGD

Code:
Message: Interface\AddOns\oUF_AuraBars\oUF_AuraBars.lua:271: Usage: UnitDebuff("unit", [index] or ["name", "rank"][, "filter"])
Time: 09/14/12 18:46:54
Count: 1
Stack: [C]: ?
[C]: ?
Interface\FrameXML\RestrictedFrames.lua:604: in function <Interface\FrameXML\RestrictedFrames.lua:603>
Interface\FrameXML\RestrictedFrames.lua:742: in function `CallMethod'
[string "		local header = self:GetParent()..."]:44: in function <[string "		local header = self:GetParent()..."]:1>
(tail call): ?
[C]: ?
Interface\FrameXML\RestrictedExecution.lua:441: in function <Interface\FrameXML\RestrictedExecution.lua:412>
Interface\FrameXML\SecureGroupHeaders.lua:108: in function <Interface\FrameXML\SecureGroupHeaders.lua:102>
Interface\FrameXML\SecureGroupHeaders.lua:158: in function <Interface\FrameXML\SecureGroupHeaders.lua:115>
Interface\FrameXML\SecureGroupHeaders.lua:393: in function <Interface\FrameXML\SecureGroupHeaders.lua:382>
[C]: in function `Show'
Interface\FrameXML\SecureStateDriver.lua:100: in function <Interface\FrameXML\SecureStateDriver.lua:95>
Interface\FrameXML\SecureStateDriver.lua:164: in function <Interface\FrameXML\SecureStateDriver.lua:146>
[C]: in function `SetAttribute'
Interface\FrameXML\SecureStateDriver.lua:11: in function `RegisterAttributeDriver'
Interface\AddOns\oUF\ouf.lua:411: in function `SpawnHeader'
Interface\AddOns\oUF_Skaarj\layout.lua:442: in function `func'
Interface\AddOns\oUF\factory.lua:13: in function <Interface\AddOns\oUF\factory.lua:10>

Locals: <none>
Is the error I get upon login. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated
09-14-12, 06:05 PM   #2
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
This is the problem:
Code:
oUF:AddElement('AuraBars', UpdateBuff, UpdateDebuff, EnableBuff, EnableDebuff, DisableBuff, DisableDeuff)
AddElement only accepts four arguments: (1) the element name, (2) the update function, (3) the enable function, and (4) the disable function. You can't register multiple elements in one AddElement call, or change the order of the arguments.

(Also, "DisableDeuff" is misspelled.)

If you want separate elements for buffs and debuffs, you need to add them separately:
Code:
oUF:AddElement('AuraBarsBuff', UpdateBuff, EnableBuff, DisableBuff)
oUF:AddElement('AuraBarsDebuff', UpdateDebuff, EnableDebuff, DisableDebuff)
Also, I'd suggest using the names "BuffBars" and "DebuffBars" instead of "AuraBarsBuff" and "AuraBarsDebuff"; they're shorter, and more descriptive.

Also, a lot of that code is really inefficient; I'm not sure whether that was in the original module, or part of your changes. Creating 2-82 tables every time the unit's auras change (1-41 in each UpdateBuff and UpdateDebuff) is basically a memory leak, and your module will consume memory like a horde of kids in a candy store. Reuse tables as much as possible, instead of simply discarding them and creating new ones.

Consistent indentation, and separating blocks with empty lines, will also help the code be more readable.

Compare your UpdateDebuff function with:
Code:
local debuffs = {} -- Only create one table, and reuse it.

local function UpdateDebuff(self, event, unit)
	if self.unit ~= unit then return end

local auraBarsDebuff = self.AuraBarsDebuff

local numDebuffs = 0
	for index = 1, 40 do
		local name, rank, icon, count, debuffType, duration, expirationTime, unitCaster, isStealable, shouldConsolidate, spellID = UnitDebuff(unit, index)
		if not name then break end
		if auraBarsDebuff.filter(self, unit, name, rank, icon, count, debuffType, duration, expirationTime, unitCaster, isStealable, shouldConsolidate, spellID) then
			local t = debuffs[i] or {} -- Reuse tables where possible.
			t.name = name
			t.rank = rank
			t.icon = icon
			t.count = count
			t.debuffType = debuffType
			t.duration = duration
			t.expirationTime = expirationTime
			t.unitCaster = unitCaster
			t.isStealable = isStealable
			t.noTime = duration == 0 and expirationTime == 0
			t.filter = auraBarsDebuff.enemyAuraType
			t.shouldConsolidate = shouldConsolidate
			t.spellID = spellID
			debuffs[i] = t
			numDebuffs = i
		end
	end

-- Clear unused debuff slots.
	for i = numDebuffs + 1, #debuffs do
		debuffs[i] = nil
		-- wipe(debuffs[i]) would be better, but then you would need to either:
		-- (a) accomodate empty tables in your sort function, putting them at the end,
		-- or (b) introduce a table pool and recycling scheme.
	end

if auraBarsDebuff.sort then
		table.sort(debuffs, type(auraBarsDebuff.sort) == 'function' and auraBarsDebuff.sort or nil) -- no need to pass the global "sort"
	end

local bars = auraBarsDebuff.bars
	for index = 1, #debuffs do
		if auraBarsDebuff:GetWidth() == 0 then
			break
		end

local frame = bars[index]
		if not frame then
			frame = CreateAuraBar(self, index == 1 and auraBarsDebuff or bars[index - 1])
			bars[index] = frame
		end

local bar = frame.statusBar
		frame.index = index

local aura = debuffs[index]
		bar.aura = aura

if aura.noTime then -- you already have a local aura, no need to spend an extra table lookup getting it out of bar.aura
			bar:SetMinMaxValues(0, 1)
			bar:SetValue(1)
		else
			if auraBarsDebuff.scaleTime then
				local maxvalue = math.min(auraBarsDebuff.scaleTime, bar.aura.duration)
				bar:SetMinMaxValues(0, maxvalue)
				bar:SetWidth((maxvalue/auraBarsDebuff.scaleTime)*((auraBarsDebuff.auraBarWidth or auraBarsDebuff:GetWidth())-(bar:GetHeight()+(auraBarsDebuff.gap or 0))))-- icon size + gap
			else
				bar:SetMinMaxValues(0, aura.duration)
			end
			bar:SetValue(aura.expirationTime - GetTime())
		end

bar.icon:SetTexture(aura.icon)

bar.spellname:SetText(aura.count > 1 and string.format("%s [%d]", bar.aura.name, aura.count) or aura.name)
		bar.spelltime:SetText(not bar.noTime and FormatTime(aura.expirationTime-GetTime()))

local debuffType = aura.debuffType or 'none'
		r, g, b = DebuffTypeColor[debuffType].r, DebuffTypeColor[debuffType].g, DebuffTypeColor[debuffType].b
		if auraBarsDebuff.debuffColor then
			r, g, b = unpack(auraBarsDebuff.debuffColor)
		end
		bar:SetStatusBarColor(r, g, b)

frame:Show()
	end

for index = #auras + 1, #bars do
		bars[index]:Hide()
	end

if auraBarsDebuff.PostUpdate then
		auraBarsDebuff:PostUpdate(event, unit)
	end
end
(Might be some drycoded errors in there; I didn't load it in-game.)

Last edited by Phanx : 09-14-12 at 06:29 PM.
09-15-12, 10:33 AM   #3
sirann
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
First off, thank you for taking the time to fix and optimize my code that you'll never use. That's pretty awesome.

Secondly, I put your suggested code in, but I'm getting this pretty frustrating error. I can't seem to put my finger on what causes it. Sometimes I don't get it for a few minutes, sometimes it's as I start attacking something.

Code:
Message: Interface\AddOns\oUF_AuraBars\oUF_AuraBars.lua:331: attempt to index local 'aura' (a nil value)
Time: 09/15/12 19:54:32
Count: 31
Stack: Interface\AddOns\oUF_AuraBars\oUF_AuraBars.lua:331: in function `func'
Interface\AddOns\oUF\events.lua:14: in function <Interface\AddOns\oUF\events.lua:12>
and sometimes this:
Code:
Message: Interface\AddOns\oUF_AuraBars\oUF_AuraBars.lua:331: attempt to index local 'aura' (a nil value)
Time: 09/15/12 19:54:29
Count: 2
Interface\AddOns\oUF\ouf.lua:117: in function <Interface\AddOns\oUF\ouf.lua:110>
[C]: in function `Show'
Interface\FrameXML\SecureStateDriver.lua:83: in function <Interface\FrameXML\SecureStateDriver.lua:73>
Interface\FrameXML\SecureStateDriver.lua:137: in function <Interface\FrameXML\SecureStateDriver.lua:119>
Code:
Time: 09/15/12 19:55:42
Count: 1
Interface\AddOns\oUF\ouf.lua:117: in function <Interface\AddOns\oUF\ouf.lua:110>
[C]: in function `CameraOrSelectOrMoveStop'
[string "CAMERAORSELECTORMOVE"]:4: in function <[string "CAMERAORSELECTORMOVE"]:1>
Code:
Message: Interface\AddOns\oUF_AuraBars\oUF_AuraBars.lua:163: attempt to index field 'aura' (a nil value)
Time: 09/15/12 19:55:48
Count: 306
Stack: Interface\AddOns\oUF_AuraBars\oUF_AuraBars.lua:163: in function <Interface\AddOns\oUF_AuraBars\oUF_AuraBars.lua:150>
Attached is the updated code. Please note, the bars work flawlessly (except getting them to grow up and down independently) unless this error happens.

http://pastebin.com/SK47CrRG

Last edited by sirann : 09-15-12 at 05:58 PM.
09-16-12, 01:27 AM   #4
Phanx
Cat.

Oh, I think I see what the problem is. Try this:
Code:
local debuffs = {}

local function UpdateDebuff(self, event, unit)
	if self.unit ~= unit then return end
	local DebuffBars = self.DebuffBars

local numDebuffs = 0

for i = 1, 40 do
		local name, rank, icon, count, debuffType, duration, expirationTime, unitCaster, isStealable, shouldConsolidate, spellID = UnitDebuff(unit, i)
		if not name then break end

if DebuffBars.filter(self, unit, name, rank, icon, count, debuffType, duration, expirationTime, unitCaster, isStealable, shouldConsolidate, spellID) then
			numDebuffs = numDebuffs + 1

local t = debuffs[numDebuffs]
			if not t then
				t = table_create()
				debuffs[numDebuffs] = t
			end

t.name = name
			t.rank = rank
			t.icon = icon
			t.count = count
			t.debuffType = debuffType
			t.duration = duration
			t.expirationTime = expirationTime
			t.unitCaster = unitCaster
			t.isStealable = isStealable
			t.noTime = duration == 0 and expirationTime == 0
			t.filter = DebuffBars.enemyAuraType
			t.shouldConsolidate = shouldConsolidate
			t.spellID = spellID
		end
	end

for i = #debuffs, numDebuffs + 1, -1 do
		debuffs[i] = table_delete(debuffs[i])
	end

table.sort(debuffs, DebuffBars.sort or default_sort)

local bars = DebuffBars.bars
	for i = 1, numDebuffs do
		if DebuffBars:GetWidth() == 0 then
			break
		end

local bar = bars[i]
		if not bar then
			bar = CreateAuraBar(self, i == 1 and DebuffBars or bars[i - 1])
			bars[i] = bar
		end
		bar:Show()

local statusbar = bar.statusBar

local debuff = debuffs[i]
		bar.aura = debuff

if debuff.noTime then -- something weird here
			statusbar:SetMinMaxValues(0, 1)
			statusbar:SetValue(1)
		else
			if DebuffBars.scaleTime then
				local maxvalue = math.min(DebuffBars.scaleTime, debuff.duration)
				statusbar:SetMinMaxValues(0, maxvalue)
				statusbar:SetWidth((maxvalue/DebuffBars.scaleTime)*((DebuffBars.auraBarWidth or DebuffBars:GetWidth())-(statusbar:GetHeight()+(DebuffBars.gap or 0))))-- icon size + gap
			else
				statusbar:SetMinMaxValues(0, debuff.duration)
			end
			statusbar:SetValue(debuff.expirationTime - GetTime())
		end

statusbar.icon:SetTexture(debuff.icon)
		statusbar.spellname:SetText(debuff.count > 1 and format("%s [%d]", debuff.name, debuff.count) or debuff.name)
		statusbar.spelltime:SetText(not debuff.noTime and FormatTime(debuff.expirationTime - GetTime()))

local r, g, b
		local color = DebuffBars.debuffColor
		if color then
			r, g, b = color[1], color[2], color[3] -- don't use unpack; 3 table lookups is faster than 1 function call
		else
			color = DebuffTypeColor[debuff.debuffType or "none"]
			r, g, b = color.r, color.g, color.b
		end
		statusbar:SetStatusBarColor(r, g, b)
	end

for i = numDebuffs + 1, #bars do
		local bar = bars[i]
		bar.aura = table_delete(bar.aura)
		bar:Hide()
	end
end
Also, add this anywhere before the UpdateBuff and UpdateDebuff functions:
Code:
local table_create, table_delete
do
	local pool = { }

local function table_create()
		local t = next(pool)
		if t then
			pool[t] = nil
		end
		return t or {}
	end

local function table_delete(t)
		if type(t) == "table" then
			for k, v in pairs(t) do
				t[k] = nil
			end
			t[true] = true
			t[true] = nil
			pool[t] = true
		end
		return nil
	end
end

local default_sort = function(a, b)
	if a.noTime then
		if b.noTime then
			-- both timeless, sort by name REVERSE
			return a.name < b.name
		else
			-- a timeless, b not
			return true
		end
	else
		if b.noTime then
			-- b timeless, a not
			return false
		else
			-- neither timeless, sort by expiry time
			return a.expires > b.expires
		end
	end
end

Last edited by Phanx : 09-16-12 at 10:33 PM.
09-16-12, 11:34 AM   #5
sirann
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Relevant section(s) can be found here:

http://pastebin.com/53q2b56C

targeting friendly or non-friendly throws this error: Message: Interface\AddOns\oUF_AuraBars\oUF_AuraBars.lua:257: attempt to call upvalue 'table_create' (a nil value)
09-16-12, 10:33 PM   #6
Phanx
Cat.

Code:
	local pool = { }

local function table_new()
Change that to table_create... I need more caffeine or sleep or something. >_<
09-17-12, 05:21 AM   #7
sirann
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
I figured that's what it was. I changed it accordingly and still receive the same error.

turning it into "function table_create()" removing the local, throws the following error: Message: Interface\AddOns\oUF_AuraBars\oUF_AuraBars.lua:163: attempt to index field 'aura' (a nil value), OnUpdate.

Last edited by sirann : 09-17-12 at 06:47 AM.
09-17-12, 10:45 AM   #8
sirann
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
So if I'm understanding this correctly, we make a table for buffs with: local buffs = {}

We then make a function, for simplicity sake we'll just stick with the buffs. The function is called UpdateBuffs. It only updates when an event fires, which we register with self:RegisterEvent('UNIT_AURA', UpdateBuff). This function is also unit bound, so there can be target buffs, player buffs, focus buff, insert x frame category buffs all shown independently, and they all update independently. IE, when the player gains a buff, it doesn't cause the target buff UpdateBuff function to fire, thus unnecessarily increasing cpu load. Additionally it's set to fire only for HELPFUL aura changes. So it won't update when the unit gains or loses a debuff.

Next we set a variable, numBuffs to 0. We then set up our index to start at unit buff 1 get all the information from the UnitBuff api at that position, and store them in local variables set up. It continues to check each buff until it doesn't receive a name back (aka out of buffs to check) and breaks.

We create a local t and set it to the individual index of our buffs table created earlier (IE buffs[numBuffs]) so why don't we just use buffs[i] since whatever buff data we just got will be buff number i?

We then set up an if statement,
Lua Code:
  1. if not t then
  2.      t = table_create()
  3.      buffs[numBuffs] = t
  4. end

I don't fully understand this, we're checking to see if we have t, or anything in our buffs table. If we don't we create a table?

We then set buffs[i].locals to the locals that were set with the UnitBuff api.

We now set up a new for statement

Lua Code:
  1. for i = #buffs, numBuffs + 1, -1 do
  2.      buffs[i] = table_delete(buffs[i])
  3. end

so basically we start with the number of buffs in our buffs table and go to the total number of buffs found with numBuffs (isn't that the same as #buffs), and then continue till i = -1? I don't understand the 3 part for loop I guess.

We then sort the buffs using either the BuffsBars.sort function or default_sort.

Now we make a for loop starting at 1 and going until we run out of buffs. The loop makes a bar for each buff and breaks if the width of the bars is set to 0. We create and set a local bar = to bars[i] which is essentially BuffBars.bars[i].

If it discovers there's no bar made yet, it makes it, and decreases the i by one to redo the loop for that buff. We then show the bar.

We create a local statusBar and set it to bar.statusBar which is essentially bars[i].statusBar which is BuffBars.bars[i].statusBar.

We also create a local buff and set it to the individual i in our buffs table.

Now we set bar.aura = buff. This I don't understand, we say that BuffBars.bars[i].aura = buff or in other words BuffBars.bars[i].aura = buffs[i]. Where did .aura even come from? I think this may be where a lot of issue is coming from. I don't see the .aura set up anywhere else. I don't know, I'm pretty awful at coding so maybe I'm just misreading this
09-17-12, 07:27 PM   #9
Phanx
Cat.

Please post your current whole file; without it, identifying the cause of any error is pretty much impossible.

Originally Posted by sirann View Post
... why don't we just use buffs[i] since whatever buff data we just got will be buff number i?
Because you are not adding every buff on the unit to the table. You are only adding buffs that pass the filter. If you only add data to the table at indices 1, 3, 7, and 9, for example, there are holes in your table and that breaks ipairs and sort. You need to keep track of how many buffs you are actually putting in the table.

We then set up an if statement,
Lua Code:
  1. if not t then
  2.      t = table_create()
  3.      buffs[numBuffs] = t
  4. end

I don't fully understand this, we're checking to see if we have t, or anything in our buffs table. If we don't we create a table?
If there was previously a table at position 3, we can just reuse it, instead of going through the trouble of "deleting" it and getting a "new" one.

Lua Code:
  1. for i = #buffs, numBuffs + 1, -1 do
  2.      buffs[i] = table_delete(buffs[i])
  3. end

so basically we start with the number of buffs in our buffs table and go to the total number of buffs found with numBuffs (isn't that the same as #buffs), and then continue till i = -1? I don't understand the 3 part for loop I guess.
A loop normally increments i (or whatever variable name you're using for your counter) by +1 on each iteration. If you want to use some other increment, you can specify it as the third parameter.

So the above code starts with the total number of values in the buffs table, and increments it down by -1 on each iteration, until it reaches the last index we actually used on this pass, and erases all of the unused ones.

A simpler version would be to clear all of the indices first:
Code:
for i = 1, #buffs do
    buffs[i] = table_delete(buffs[i])
end
... and then fill them back up:
Code:
local t = table_create()
buffs[numBuffs] = t
But that requires more function calls, so it's slightly slower.

Now we set bar.aura = buff. This I don't understand, we say that BuffBars.bars[i].aura = buff or in other words BuffBars.bars[i].aura = buffs[i]. Where did .aura even come from?
It didn't "come from" anywhere. You are simply attaching the buff's data table to the bar object, using the key name "aura". It's the same as doing:

Code:
local bar = {}
local aura = { name = "Blah" }
bar.aura = aura
print(bar.aura.name)
==> "Blah"
As for why that's being done, it simply makes it easier to tell which buff the bar is displaying later, when the bar is updated in the OnUpdate script, without having to go look up buffs[i] every time.
09-17-12, 09:59 PM   #10
sirann
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Here's my current code that's still throwing the error every frame for trying to index aura:

http://pastebin.com/Prhi0c52

and this is the error:

http://pastebin.com/5SJTJFPB

I've commented several things in the UpdateBars function as well as in the UpdateBuff function to see if there's a disconnect in the order.

This is the if statement the error is in:

Lua Code:
  1. if statusbar.aura.noTime then --BuffBars.bars[i].statusBar.aura.noTime
  2.     statusbar.spelltime:SetText() --BuffBars.bars[i].statusBar.spelltime
  3. else
  4.     local timeleft = statusbar.aura.expirationTime - timenow ----BuffBars.bars[i].statusBar.aura.expirationTime
  5.     statusbar:SetValue(timeleft) --BuffBars.bars[i].statusBar
  6.     statusbar.spelltime:SetText(FormatTime(timeleft)) --BuffBars.bars[i].statusBar.spelltime
  7. end

Compared to:

Lua Code:
  1. local bar = bars[i] --BuffBars.bars[i]
  2. local statusbar = bar.statusBar --BuffBars.bars[i].statusBar
  3. local buff = buffs[i]
  4. bar.aura = aura --BuffBars.bars[i].aura
  5. if buff.noTime then --buffs[i].noTime
09-18-12, 12:30 AM   #11
Phanx
Cat.

In your last example:
Code:
local buff = buffs[i] 
bar.aura = aura --BuffBars.bars[i].aura
would set "bar.aura" to nil, because "aura" isn't defined. I think you meant "bar.aura = buff" there.

In your current file, line 305:
Code:
local bar = bars[i] --unecessary?  se line 267 above
No, because line 267 is not in scope here. Local only exist inside the "if/for/do/function ... end" block where they are defined with the "local something" declaration. The entire file counts as one big "do ... end" block for the purpose of scoping, but each block inside the file gets its own scope, and they nest like those Russian dolls. Each scope can only "see" variables declared in itself, or in a higher scope that contains itself. Line 267 and line 305 are in parallel scopes of equal depth; neither can "see" any variables defined inside the other.

Edit:

Alright, I just ended up rewriting the whole thing. Tested (as far as the BuffBars element with 2 buffs on a level 12 warlock) and working:

http://www.wowace.com/paste/6263/

Example and options in the comment header at the top of the file.

Last edited by Phanx : 09-18-12 at 04:26 AM.
09-18-12, 02:54 PM   #12
sirann
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
I'm pretty sure you're going to hate me..

I c/p'd the code from your link /6263. Here's my file of it: http://pastebin.com/53q2b56C

I put this code into my oUF_Skaarj layout target function: http://pastebin.com/5BQKvyGL

I received this error
Code:
Message: Interface\AddOns\oUF_Skaarj\layout.lua:288: attempt to index global 'frame' (a nil value)
So I changed the code I put into my oUF_Skaarj layout target function to this: http://pastebin.com/kTTfUHDn
(basically just changed all the frame to self, except for the frame inside of the filterFunc.)

I then received this error:
Code:
Message: Interface\AddOns\oUF_AuraBars\oUF_AuraBars.lua:279: attempt to compare number with nil
which is from
Lua Code:
  1. bar.name:SetText(aura.count > 1 and format("%s [%d]", aura.name, aura.count) or aura.name)

So I realized that count must be setting to nil if the buff/debuff doesn't have a stack, ie something like a mount.

So I changed the code from
Lua Code:
  1. bar.icon:SetTexture(aura.icon)
  2. bar.name:SetText(aura.count > 1 and format("%s [%d]", aura.name, aura.count) or aura.name)

to this

Lua Code:
  1. if aura.count == nil then
  2.     aura.count = 0
  3. end
  5. bar.icon:SetTexture(aura.icon)
  6. bar.name:SetText(aura.count > 1 and format("%s [%d]", aura.name, aura.count) or aura.name)

And now I receive this error:
Code:
Message: Interface\AddOns\oUF_AuraBars\oUF_AuraBars.lua:292: Usage: <unnamed>:SetMinMaxValues(min, max)
which is from
Lua Code:
  1. if aura.duration == 0 then
  2.     bar.duration, bar.expirationTime = nil, nil
  3.     bar:SetMinMaxValues(0, 1)
  4.     bar:SetValue(1)
  5.     bar.time:SetText(nil)
  6. else
  7.     bar.duration, bar.expirationTime = aura.duration, aura.expirationTime
  8. ->  bar:SetMinMaxValues(0, aura.duration)
  9.     -- No need to set the value or time text here; the OnUpdate will do it.
  10.     numAurasWithDuration = numAurasWithDuration + 1
  11. end

Last edited by sirann : 09-18-12 at 03:00 PM.
09-18-12, 09:36 PM   #13
Phanx
Cat.

You should really use the entire file I posted; you left half of it out in your paste, and my code was not even remotely designed to be dropped into the middle of some other code. It's a total rewrite from scratch, not just a few changes here and there. If you're using code in your layout based on the example in the file I posted, of course you're going to get endless errors if you're not actually using the file I posted.
09-19-12, 05:55 AM   #14
sirann
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
It took me a few minutes to figure out what you could have been referring to, the original pastebin link I have is invalid. That's not what I have as my file. I have this as my file: http://pastebin.com/nLRdQH6y

I apologize for the mix up in the links I sent out.
09-19-12, 04:38 PM   #15
Phanx
Cat.

I have no idea why you changed all of the variable names in my code. Variables are not aware of their names, only their values. You only need to pass in the right value from your code. In your code, the frame object is the value of the variable named "self", so you need to pass "self" into the function. It doesn't matter if the function then refers to that value as "frame" or "kazoo". Only the order of arguments matter.

A more efficient solution to the nil count problem is to store nil counts as 1 in the first place, since that's techincally accurate; a buff with no charges effectively has 1 charge.

Finally, while I'm not really picky about being credited for stuff, I have put a lot of time into helping you with this, and does seem a little insulting that you would remove the "Rewritten by Phanx" comment from the file, when it being there has absolutely no effect on the functionality of the file because it's in a comment.

Fixed count issue:
http://www.wowace.com/paste/6276/

Don't change random variable names in the module; just pass the right value from your code:
Code:
target = function(self, ...)
	Shared(self, ...)

local BuffBars = CreateFrame("Frame", nil, self)
	BuffBars:SetPoint("BOTTOMLEFT", self, "TOPLEFT", 20, 10)
	BuffBars:SetPoint("BOTTOMRIGHT", self, "TOPRIGHT", 0, 10)
	self.BuffBars = BuffBars

BuffBars.barHeight = 15
	BuffBars.fontFile = cfg.font
	BuffBars.fontOutline = "MONOCHROMETHINOUTLINE"
	BuffBars.nameSize = 8
	BuffBars.timeSize = 9
	BuffBars.customFilter = function() return true end -- No need to catch incoming arguments and assign them to named variables when you're not using any of them.
09-19-12, 06:13 PM   #16
sirann
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
First let me apologize for the misunderstanding that's seemingly occurred. I never removed your "Rewritten by Phanx" from the beginning instructions. If you look at your first pass at the code, it wasn't there. I must have copied it by mistake and thus it wasn't in my file. I will revise by saying I didn't touch the comment up there, the version I copied (mistakenly) did not have that comment.

Secondly, I want to thank you for the time you've put into writing this addon. It's hard for me to show appreciation, especially when you probably think I'm an idiot who keeps ****ing up your code and posting the oops aftermath.

Thirdly, your latest revision, 6276, you added the "or 0" to count. You also have to do this for duration, as timeless buffs/debuffs are set to nil, this messes with your later if statement and throws an error:
Lua Code:
  1. if aura.duration == 0 then
  2.     bar.duration, bar.expirationTime = nil, nil
  3.     bar:SetMinMaxValues(0, 1)
  4.     bar:SetValue(1)
  5.     bar.time:SetText(nil)
  6. else
  7.     bar.duration, bar.expirationTime = aura.duration, aura.expirationTime
  8.     --print (aura.duration)
  9.     bar:SetMinMaxValues(0, aura.duration)
  10.     -- No need to set the value or time text here; the OnUpdate will do it.
  11.     numAurasWithDuration = numAurasWithDuration + 1
  12. end

Line 46 should read: local format, min, next, pairs, type, sort = format, min, next, pairs, type, sort the type, sort were backwards. I also added if not name then break end to the Update function under the if filterFunc(...

Line 81 should read return a.duration > b.duration or maybe a.expirationTime > b.expirationTime. Either way expires won't work.

Line 221 was a function calling itself causing a stack overflow I believe:
Lua Code:
  1. function table_delete(t)
  2.         if type(t) == "table" then
  3.             for k, v in pairs(t) do
  4.                 --t[k] = table_delete(t)
  5.                 t[k] = nil
  6.             end
  7.             t[true] = true
  8.             t[true] = nil
  9.             pool[t] = true
  10.         end
  11.         return nil
  12.     end

The commented out code was the line you posted in your latest revision, the t[k] = nil was the line that was in your previous table_delete(t) function.

Fourthly, this is working exactly how I wanted it. I don't know what to say besides thank you for making a reality what I've dreamt about for a few years. My final request is to be able to color bars by dispelType, DebuffTypeColor[element.dispelType or "none"] for debuffs but not buffs

Last edited by sirann : 09-19-12 at 09:07 PM.
09-20-12, 02:07 AM   #17
Phanx
Cat.

UnitAura actually seems to be returning 0 for both count and duration on auras with no charges or duration, respectively, but I've added some more checks just in case.

My final request is to be able to color bars by dispelType, DebuffTypeColor[element.dispelType or "none"] for debuffs but not buffs
Set BuffBars.dispelTypeColors = true.

http://www.wowace.com/paste/6279/
01-19-15, 01:01 PM   #18
sirann
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Holy mother of necros, but, I'm curious if you think it would be possible to edit either the oUF_AuraBars.lua or my oUF layout to check (on PLAYER_TARGET_CHANGED) if the target is the same unit as one of the boss frames, and if so, hide the debuffbar frame associated with the respective boss..n's frame. All attempts thus far have either, a, caused an LUA error, or b, caused it to hide both target and all said boss' debuffbar frame.

I suppose I could write something in the oUF_AuraBars code that would create a frame, registerevent player_target_changed, and then do an on event script of
Lua Code:
  1. for i = 1, 5 if UnitIsUnit('target', 'boss'..i) then
  2.     oUF_TerennaBoss..i.DebuffBars:Hide()
  3. else
  4.     oUF_TerennaBoss..i.DebuffBars:Show()
  5. end

Would that last suggestion even work?
01-19-15, 04:46 PM   #19
Phanx
Cat.

Possible, certainly, but that snippet you posted has a syntax error on almost every line.

1. The proper format is "for ... do" just like "if ... then" -- you are missing the "do" keyword.

2. You have an "if ... else ... end" inside of a "do ... (end)" but you are missing the last "end" keyword.

3. The second and third lines will throw errors about attempting to concatenate nil values. You need to (a) put quotes around the "oUF_TerennaBoss" part to make it a string value and (b) wrap that and the "..i" in a _G[...] lookup to actually get a refererence to the global object.

Code:
for i = 1, 5 do
    if UnitIsUnit('target', 'boss'..i) then
        _G["oUF_TerennaBoss"..i].DebuffBars:Hide()
    else
        _G["oUF_TerennaBoss"..i].DebuffBars:Show()
    end
end
01-19-15, 05:13 PM   #20
sirann
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
Possible, certainly, but that snippet you posted has a syntax error on almost every line.
has a syntax error on almost every line.
almost every
So you're telling me there's a chance

e: where are my manners, thank you very much, as always, Phanx!

Last edited by sirann : 01-19-15 at 05:17 PM.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » oUF (Otravi Unit Frames) » oUF_AuraBars