04-16-11, 01:56 PM   #1
Griezz
Premium Member
How do we update gathering nodes?

There have been a number of times where I will be flying over an area and suddenly see a node (mining or herb) where none had been previously (at least, according to all the nodes shown in Carbonite.) Granted, a few may have been missed, but I notice that, after I land, gather from the node and leave, that the "new" node STILL isn't represented in Carbonite's node list.

First, how are we supposed to update node lists? With other programs, such as GatherMate, they have (at minimum) weekly updates for their node lists for gathering professions. I don't think I've ever seen one from Carbonite.

Second, should Carbonite not be able to "learn" that "new" nodes exist, to be added to its existing list?

Third and just as important, how about being able to delete bad nodes? As an example, if I go to Twilight Highlands, look at the area's nodes and create a route, there are two areas where the route always takes me OUTSIDE of the zone into Loch Modan or Wetlands, directing me to crap nodes for Tin Ore or Briarthorn. This happens in the area around the gateway leading from Wetlands to the roadway leading to Grim Batol, as well as the area around the Twilight Highlands' elementium mine, which always seems to dip into Loch Modan. This is not cool and a waste of my time. Another reason that I would like to see the ability to delete bad nodes is when those recorded nodes seem to be spawning inside terrain and therefore inaccessible. I have had such nodes appear in Twilight Highlands and in Deepholm... and, yes, I checked, but there are no mines in the immediate area. The brightness of the flashing dot indicates that it is supposed to be "above ground" anyways. We should be able to remove those nodes since they are useless.

Finally, could an arrangement be made with the folks behind Gatherer or Gathermate where you could import their gather node data into your own database?

04-17-11, 09:25 AM   #2
Paprika
A Black Drake
Originally Posted by Griezz View Post
Finally, could an arrangement be made with the folks behind Gatherer or Gathermate where you could import their gather node data into your own database?
This has been asked so many times, but the devs just don't care.

04-17-11, 12:54 PM   #3
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
There have been a number of times where I will be flying over an area and suddenly see a node (mining or herb) where none had been previously (at least, according to all the nodes shown in Carbonite.) Granted, a few may have been missed, but I notice that, after I land, gather from the node and leave, that the "new" node STILL isn't represented in Carbonite's node list.
First, the blinking active node indicator is actually only shown on the Blizzard minimap, and can only be seen on the Carbonite minimized map if the maps are merged. I think Carbonite adds a bit of code and some graphics to make it appear to blink. The node icons you see in Carbonite (and any other gathering addon, for that matter) are graphical representations of where something has been found and been able to be harvested before. Carbonite does, indeed, add freshly gathered node icons to its' map. I've noticed, though, that it may take a few seconds to a few minutes to do it. Why? I don't know. It's just what I have observed.

First, how are we supposed to update node lists? With other programs, such as GatherMate, they have (at minimum) weekly updates for their node lists for gathering professions. I don't think I've ever seen one from Carbonite.
Carbonite only updates the databases when there is an update to the Carbonite addon itself. I use GatherMate2 and I have gotten one (2) updates for the database since installing it about two (2) months ago (that includes the update I got today). I get GatherMate2 through Curse.com and I use the Curse Client, so if there's an update available it lets me know so I can update whatever needs to be updated. I don't let the Client, or Minion, update anything automatically. That's just asking for problems.

Second, should Carbonite not be able to "learn" that "new" nodes exist, to be added to its existing list?
It does. Providing that you harvest those nodes. Carbonite, or any other gathering addon, has absolutely no way of knowing where active, harvestable, nodes are unless they have been harvested and that information added to a database. In Carbonites' case, you have to harvest the nod and then Carbonite will add that node to its' database. Any Carbonite user can help to populate the Carbonite databases by reading the How To Contribute Quest And Gather Data post. It's quick, painless, and non-personal (the file contains no personal information from you, the user).

Third and just as important, how about being able to delete bad nodes? As an example, if I go to Twilight Highlands, look at the area's nodes and create a route, there are two areas where the route always takes me OUTSIDE of the zone into Loch Modan or Wetlands, directing me to crap nodes for Tin Ore or Briarthorn. This happens in the area around the gateway leading from Wetlands to the roadway leading to Grim Batol, as well as the area around the Twilight Highlands' elementium mine, which always seems to dip into Loch Modan. This is not cool and a waste of my time. Another reason that I would like to see the ability to delete bad nodes is when those recorded nodes seem to be spawning inside terrain and therefore inaccessible. I have had such nodes appear in Twilight Highlands and in Deepholm... and, yes, I checked, but there are no mines in the immediate area. The brightness of the flashing dot indicates that it is supposed to be "above ground" anyways. We should be able to remove those nodes since they are useless.
As far as I know, there currently is no way to delete those "bad nodes". I do have a question, though: Is your character an herbalist and a miner? That's the only way I can think that Carbonite might lead you to a Tin node and a Briarthorn node. Tin nodes are not "crap nodes". If you currently don't need tin, harvest it and sell it on the auction house, or just pass it up. You can route for harvesting just one node type, and you can find out how by reading Carbonite Nodes, Routing, and You. It's a "sticky" on the Carbonite General forum. Available, also, is a key bind to skip the current target and move directly to the next target when using a route. Access it through the Blizzard key binding interface, and scroll down to the Carbonite heading. The part about using nodes outside of the current zone you are in is, I think, something to do with how Blizzard does the zone boundaries. I know that I've noticed the same thing, and wondered why it's like that.

The inaccessible nodes are not the fault of Carbonite. That's a Blizzard deal. All nodes are a random occurrence, and as such, can appear and disappear at random times and locations. Including inside a tree, rock, or what have you. Ever harvest what appears to be the same node more than once without ever moving from the spot? Ever had a node disappear on you just as you got to it? Yeah. Random occurrences.

As far as the "brightness" of the active node indicator, I ran into the same problem just the other day while I was flying around Eastern Plaguelands. The node indicator was "dim" when it popped up, but I could see the node in front of me. I stopped, checked the tool tip for the node, and it was the same as the node right in front of me. I harvested the Mithril node, and the blinking indicator went out. WTF? I don't have a clue, but I can tell you that it also happened in The Burning Steppes and Searing Gorge. Maybe Blizzard's changing something. Again.

I have also seen nodes indicated as being underground where there are no mines. Most notably, in the Swamp of Sorrows near Stonard. I just recently figured out that those nodes were actually in the mine at Nethergarde Keep in the Blasted Lands. That might explain why you are being routed to Loch Modan for nodes that are, most likely, in the Elementium Depths in Twilight Highlands. This is, of course, just a guess. I currently don't have a character that is high enough level to go to Twilight Highlands.

Sorry 'bout the "text wall", but I wanted to respond to each point.

04-17-11, 06:45 PM   #4
Griezz
Premium Member
Not quite. When I'm referring to "junk nodes" that have, as an example, Tin or Briarthorn, it wasn't that they are necessarily junk, just that they are junk for me right now. The point I was trying to make was... if I am in Twilight Highlnds, and want to make a mining route for Twilight Highlands, then why is it sending me out to Wetlands to gather Tin or Iron Ore? They are neither Twilight Highlands ore, nor Twilight Highlands nodes, but they are included on the Twilight Highlands route. Why?

And, no, this is not an example of a TH node being in Wetlands or Loch Modan due to a mine. This is a surface node that, if you point to it on the map, will say specifically that it is a Tin or Iron node. That is what is annoying.

My thanks for the link to the sticky about Routing, however; I'll look it over shortly.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » How do we update gathering nodes?