11-16-06, 08:07 AM   #1
faustius
A Kobold Labourer
I am a WOW n00b - interface suggestions?

As in super-n00b - I bought the game last night and I'm only a level 6 night elf warrior, playing on the EU servers.

I play the game on a Power PC-based Mac mini and while the game runs shockingly well considering the hardware I have, I'm looking to make as many memory savings as possible and understand that a less cluttered UI - as well as having its own benefits - would help with this.

I've tried perusing the main site, but it's very difficult to tell which would be suitable for my needs as a newcomer to the game *and* reduce memory usage. If anyone has any suggestions or tips, I'd be very grateful... and if you're ever in Teldrassil, be sure to say Hi!
11-16-06, 11:22 AM   #2
PathMaster
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

I dont think adding addons can help reduce memory, I cant be sure of that though. Ace based mods seem to have low memory usage imo. I am in the middle of reducing my sheer number of mod folders from 170 or so down to around 120 hopefully. Some ace mods have greatly helped. I have gone from around 60m in memory to about 48m in memory.

To keep memory usage down, do not get any data miners, such as item databases or addons like gatherer. Try to stay away from bigger mods like discord that to me take up way to much memory for what they do. Also stay away from big map mods, like Metamap or Atlas. While I enjoy them, they do take up memory.

my 2 cents.

Feel free anyone to criticize my perceptions.
11-16-06, 12:07 PM   #3
gariig
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Do you have any mods installed now?
11-16-06, 12:14 PM   #4
Barras
A Fallenroot Satyr
You won't improve resource usage by going from the default UI to addons, any addon will increase memory usage and load times to some degree. I run a reletively small collection of Ace2'd addons, yesterday had to disable them all to do some bug hunting and was quite stunned at how much faster load/zone times were on the default UI over the pretty slim addon set I use.

All you can hope to do is improve and add features to your UI in the most efficient way possible (minimalising increases).
11-16-06, 01:16 PM   #5
sid67
A Cliff Giant
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Newbie advice

The fact is, you are always going to have memory problems if you have less than 1GB of memory. My system had 512mb when I first started playing and walking through Orgrimmar was torture. Simply paying $50 to boost up to 1GB made all the difference in the world. FYI--I play on a laptop, so I know your concerns about performance. I am always trying to keep my addons slim.

The point of addons is not to improve performance, but to make life easier. That being said, there are some addons that are "must-have" addons.

My recommendation on "must-have" addons are:
Autobar
Autoprofit
EquipCompare
Fubar
Fubar - BagFu
Fubar - DurabilityFu
Fubar - ExperienceFu
Fubar - MoneyFu
Fubar - QuestsFu
Igor's Mass Auction
LFG Scrubber
Metamap (and DL the Metamap Knowledge Base w/ 5000 mobs)
TipBuddy (or TinyTip)

The most resource intensive addon of the above group is Metamap, but it is also perhaps the most useful in leveling. It allows you to put notes down and search for mobs using it's database. It also provides Map coordinates, so if you look up a quest at www.thotbott.com and a user said you could find this at 58,34 then you can 1) set a note for it, 2) put a minimap marker for it and 3) set a waypoint (arrow above your head) that leads you to it. Likewise, if you downloaded the KB, and have to kill a certain mob, then you can search for the mob and put a note on your map at the location. Very very useful.

Keep in mind, that I feel these are the best addons for LEVELING and once you start doing other things (Raids, Battlegrounds, etc) then you may have some different addons you want to use in addition to these.

Also--as you level, I would get the Skinning and Herbalism professions. You'll find a lot of herbs around as you just wander about and skinning is great because the stuff you are killing will give you skins which can be sold for money at the Auction House. In 20/20 hindsight, I would never level a character again without have those two skills while I was leveling. Once you hit 60, then you can reevaluate what you want to do. It's also a good idea to pickup First Aid (secondary) and turn a good portion of the Cloth drops into bandages while you level. Cooking/Fishing (the other secondarys) are not really necessarry while leveling and are best leveled together (catch a fish and cook it).

I'm giving the above advice because I wish someone had given it to me. The advice I got was: Don't worry about a profession yet. Ha! I later then picked Blacksmithing and it cost me a fortune and I never made a profit or anything useful while leveling. Skinning/Herbalism will keep you in the money and you will be able to afford good gear at the Auction House.

If you are looking to do some things with addons to change up the default UI, then I recommend the CT mod. You can use it to break up the bottom bar, scale action bars, turn action bars different directions, and so forth.
11-23-06, 04:25 PM   #6
leethal
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I can live with the default UI except from one mod: scrolling combat text. I just got to have it.

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...fo.php?id=3965

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » Released AddOns » I am a WOW n00b - interface suggestions?