11-15-09, 02:13 PM   #21
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Vyper View Post
Does you're keyboard not have a 'q' button?

A addon CANNOT crash a (properly functioning) WoW client.
That's not true. QuestHelper was the cause of many many wow client crashes at one point. I use to help people fix this issue all the time on the tech support forums. Here is a crash report caused by QuestHelper;

This application has encountered a critical error:

Not enough storage is available to process this command.

Program: C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\WoW.exe
Object: VERT (.?AUVERT@@)

Requested 133120 bytes of memory
11-15-09, 02:20 PM   #22
Maul
Ion Engines, Engage!

Originally Posted by Petrah View Post
That's not true. QuestHelper was the cause of many many wow client crashes at one point. I use to help people fix this issue all the time on the tech support forums. Here is a crash report caused by QuestHelper;
It should not. If it does, then there is an issue with the wow client. In a perfect world, if an addon errors, it should always exit gracefully without crashing the client.

So if a crash can be repeated and demonstrate that a certain addon crashes the WoW client, then that is on Blizzard really to figure out what is going on. It does not, however, excuse the addon author from examining their own code.

Twitter: @IonMaul | Windows Live: [email protected] | Google Talk: [email protected]
11-15-09, 02:27 PM   #23
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Maul View Post
It should not. If it does, then there is an issue with the wow client. In a perfect world, if an addon errors, it should always exit gracefully without crashing the client.

So if a crash can be repeated and demonstrate that a certain addon crashes the WoW client, then that is on Blizzard really to figure out what is going on. It does not, however, excuse the addon author from examining their own code.
There are thousands of posts on the tech support forums where they recommended to uninstall QH in order to stop the crashes. If it were a wow client issue, the techs would of moved all of those threads to the bug report forum so the devs could handle it. There is even a mention in one of the forum stickies that lists QuestHelper as being the cause of poor game performance (that was added due to the crashes).

For clarification.... I haven't seen anyone come to the forums in quite a while with one of those crashes, so whatever was causing it, the author of QH fixed it some time ago.
11-15-09, 02:33 PM   #24
Maul
Ion Engines, Engage!

There are thousands of posts on the tech support forums where they recommended to uninstall QH in order to stop the crashes. If it were a wow client issue, the techs would of moved all of those threads to the bug report forum so the devs could handle it. There is even a mention in one of the forum stickies that lists QuestHelper as being the cause of poor game performance (that was added due to the crashes).

For clarification.... I haven't seen anyone come to the forums in quite a while with one of those crashes, so whatever was causing it, the author of QH fixed it some time ago.
What I stated still holds true

Twitter: @IonMaul | Windows Live: [email protected] | Google Talk: [email protected]
11-15-09, 02:45 PM   #25
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

What I stated still holds true
Better let the Blizz devs know this then. I think they are unaware.
11-15-09, 02:53 PM   #26
Akryn
A Firelord
Better let the Blizz devs know this then. I think they are unaware.
No, what he said is correct; however it may be that whatever problem is happening is just too much trouble to find and/or fix, and Bliz is saying that since it only happens if some addon does X, just don't use addons that do X.

That said, obviously addons can cause other problems for which the WoW client offers no protection at all: breaking parts of the UI, hogging resources, infinite looping...
11-15-09, 03:06 PM   #27
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Akryn View Post
No, what he said is correct; however it may be that whatever problem is happening is just too much trouble to find and/or fix, and Bliz is saying that since it only happens if some addon does X, just don't use addons that do X.

That said, obviously addons can cause other problems for which the WoW client offers no protection at all: breaking parts of the UI, hogging resources, infinite looping...
To settle this. Here is the bug report and the proof that it was fixed by the author of QH.

http://wow.curseforge.com/addons/que...rashes-wow/#c5
11-15-09, 03:08 PM   #28
Limb0
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Originally Posted by xromania™ View Post
good advice "in situations like Many Whelps! Handle It!, global data collection being turned off can help prevent a dc via the gear icon". But we still cant see the real damage made by raid members? and what mean "disconect via the gear icon??"
I just meant that the gear icon needs to be clicked in order to get to the menu to disable/enable global collection.
11-15-09, 03:23 PM   #29
Maul
Ion Engines, Engage!

To settle this. Here is the bug report and the proof that it was fixed by the author of QH.

http://wow.curseforge.com/addons/que...rashes-wow/#c5
I think you are misconstruing what is being said. Truly, an addon should never crash the WoW client. Never ever ever ever.

The reality is, over the years, addons have crashed the client. Many times an addon can be re-coded to stop the crashing. But it still means that there was a bug in the WoW client that the addon triggered it.

This is really an academic observation. The WoW client is so complex, that it being bug-free, even in the addon environment, will most likely never be realized. But if an addon does crash the client, and the author finds a fix, he/she should report what they found to Blizzard.

Again, in a perfect world, an addon should never crash the WoW client

11-15-09, 04:17 PM   #30
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
I think you are misconstruing what is being said. Truly, an addon should never crash the WoW client. Never ever ever ever.

The reality is, over the years, addons have crashed the client. Many times an addon can be re-coded to stop the crashing. But it still means that there was a bug in the WoW client that the addon triggered it.

This is really an academic observation. The WoW client is so complex, that it being bug-free, even in the addon environment, will most likely never be realized. But if an addon does crash the client, and the author finds a fix, he/she should report what they found to Blizzard.

Again, in a perfect world, an addon should never crash the WoW client
I concur, WoW gives access to commands for the addons to use and then executes them as per the addons request. If the API lets something happen that causes a crash the addon is not at fault but the API for letting it happen. All the addon can do when it happens is adjust their code to take a different route to avoid the crash but only if it can be repeated and thus tested.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » warning