12-30-08, 09:14 PM   #21
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I made an "addon" to remove ALL sounds from the Heli. Get it HERE

It should hopefully be approved soon.

As stated before I see no reason why this can or would ever get you banned. You are not modifying anything or editing anything. You are using built in game mechanics and doing as the game was designed to do.

There are many addons out there that do this exact same thing. There are ones to change the Fishing Splash sound and to change the DK mount sound to the voice of the car KITT from Knight Rider.

If there is an issue the it will surely be removed.
12-31-08, 12:44 AM   #22
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Sepioth View Post

As stated before I see no reason why this can or would ever get you banned. You are not modifying anything or editing anything. You are using built in game mechanics and doing as the game was designed to do.

There are many addons out there that do this exact same thing. There are ones to change the Fishing Splash sound and to change the DK mount sound to the voice of the car KITT from Knight Rider.

Thank you =) Gonna install it!

12-31-08, 04:43 PM   #23
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Originally Posted by Silenia View Post
Thank you =) Gonna install it!

Your welcome.
01-04-09, 06:48 PM   #24
Rancor75
A Defias Bandit
Actually, now that I've thought about it for a bit.. I think I'll let one of the forum admins here comment on it. I'm sure if it were not allowed in the game, then Cairenn would not allow it (sound files that quiet in game sounds) to be uploaded here for others to download. I know the one addon here that hides the gunshot sound has been around for a long time.
I'm not a forum admin but I would like to comment on this subject.
I think the thread you referred to with a blue post in it responding to modifying sound files is not entirely clear. It could be misread as CHANGING the actual MPQ files and that is a violation of terms of use.
With the sound files you DON'T change the actual MPQ files.
you make a path OUTSIDE the MPQ files and put a zero-byte wav file at the end of the path. The game uses the path you have created instead the one imbedded inside the MPQ file where also the graphics, music and all other things of the game are stored.

Modifying the MPQ files is a violation of terms of use !!!
The MPQ files are 'protected' with a MD5 or hash checksum, if you modify the actual MPQ files you could get in big trouble because change in the MPQ files will be detected because the MD5 or equivalent checksums won't match anymore.
Blizzard won't be able to 'see' what you have changed, but since the checksums won't match they or the server will detect a change and you could be banned.

But SOUND files are changed OUTSIDE the MPQ files themselves. The MPQ files remain the same, nothing inside MPQ is altered and the original sound files are still there !.
So technically nothing has changed and the MD5 or whatever checksum used is NOT changed.

This path override is just how the game uses sound files.
It looks for paths inside the DATA folder first, if it can't find any then the game uses the sound files inside the MPQ files.
Those MPQ files are very big (2 Gb) and contain all the data of the game. Music, graphics, maps, etc..

Graphics can NOT be changed this way and is a violation of terms of use !
By graphics I mean the looks of your character, items, weapons, mine nodes, etc... I do NOT mean the UI (user interface) graphics like the portrait window with the health bar etc.

Why the distinction between graphics and sound ?
With change of sound you can't create an advantage in any way. It doesn't really alter gameplay at all.
Change of graphics CAN alter gameplay. Even when the changes are CLIENT side only and you are the only one to see the changes !
example: lets say you could change mine nodes into giants.
so evey mine you see looks like a giant and you could see them from a very long distance.
This is just one simple example, but you can imagine whatever other changes you could implement.
The changes of graphics are only visible to yourself, other people on their own computer won't see any change at all.
But still you could create an advantage when graphics are changed and you are the only one to see them.
It is considered ALTERING gameplay and that IS a violation and is a ban-able offense.

Back to the sound:
Some people have disabled the sound alltogether by turning off the sound in the options menu and rather listen to their favorite radio station or listening to a compact disc or Ipod while playing the game. Surely that wouldn't be considered an advantage in the game over people who do have all the sound turned on in the game ?

Because if change in sound would alter gameplay then people who don't have any ingame sound/music on, listening to a cd or whatever source of music would have an advantage ?
Then listening to music while playing wow and not listening to ingame sounds should be a violation of terms of use as well imho.
Would be the same as you would change a helicopter sound into silence. I think.

Last edited by Rancor75 : 01-04-09 at 08:54 PM. Reason: extra information
01-04-09, 08:40 PM   #25
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Rancor75, yes... we kind of went over all that already
01-04-09, 09:17 PM   #26
Rancor75
A Defias Bandit
sorry for the wall of text. I just wanted to clearly state my opinion. anyway, i've silence certain sounds myself.. like the stomping of devil saurs / core hounds.
01-04-09, 09:39 PM   #27
WayfarerOmega
A Murloc Raider
I find myself reminded of another MMO which also took the stand that it was against the Terms of Service to modify the game in such a manner but also allowed a thread on it's official forums in which people listed the path and name for particularly annoying sounds in game. You just weren't allowed to talk about how to use that information to silence them though somehow people found other ways to get that information out as well. Basically the company was willing to turn a blind eye to what was going on as long as the players met them halfway in being circumspect about what they were doing.

Consequently my impression is that companies like Blizzard don't really object to people modifying the in game sounds but have to take the legal stance that any modification to the game files is prohibited because they don't want people trying to argue that if they're allowed to modify one type of game file then they should be allowed to modify other types of game files.
01-04-09, 11:38 PM   #28
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
AGAIN ..the thing is no files are being modified.

Since the game has been released you can place sound files in the data folder and the game loads them in replacing the sounds that the files you placed in the data folder are referencing.

If this was not allowed in any way then 1) Blizzard would not have programmed the game to do this or 2) If it WAS a bug (say maybe a way for the designers to easily add new stuff to see it in-game quickly) then Blizz would have patched this 4 years ago.

This addon is not breaking an TOC or EULA of any kind. No files are being modified. It is using BUILT in game mechanics that Blizzard designed. In other words .. it is working as intended.
01-05-09, 03:17 AM   #29
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Since the game has been released you can place sound files in the data folder and the game loads them in replacing the sounds that the files you placed in the data folder are referencing.
I'm very curious though... how do you go about finding out the name of a sound file in the game, and what the path would be for replacing that sound with a new one as you described above?
01-05-09, 05:47 PM   #30
Vyper
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

AGAIN ..the thing is no files are being modified.
Actually, they are. A folder is a type of file which does indeed belong to the game itself. Adding a file to that folder modifies the folder file (confused yet?). So from a legal (and technical) standpoint you are indeed modifying game files. Do I think you should or will get banned for this? No, but you ARE modifying files.
01-05-09, 07:14 PM   #31
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
I'm very curious though... how do you go about finding out the name of a sound file in the game, and what the path would be for replacing that sound with a new one as you described above?
I used a program called MyWarcraftStudio.

Run that and open the common.mpq and common-2.mpq files. It uses a Windows like explorer design. Just follow the directory structure it uses as well as the same file names. Replace the sounds with a blank sound file.
01-05-09, 08:11 PM   #32
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I used a program called MyWarcraftStudio.

Run that and open the common.mpq and common-2.mpq files. It uses a Windows like explorer design. Just follow the directory structure it uses as well as the same file names. Replace the sounds with a blank sound file.
I did exactly as you said, with default settings, and there is no directory structure. There's nothing there at all. No files, nothing.
01-06-09, 10:56 AM   #33
Rancor75
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by WayfarerOmega View Post
I find myself reminded of another MMO which also took the stand that it was against the Terms of Service to modify the game in such a manner but also allowed a thread on it's official forums in which people listed the path and name for particularly annoying sounds in game. You just weren't allowed to talk about how to use that information to silence them though somehow people found other ways to get that information out as well. Basically the company was willing to turn a blind eye to what was going on as long as the players met them halfway in being circumspect about what they were doing.

Consequently my impression is that companies like Blizzard don't really object to people modifying the in game sounds but have to take the legal stance that any modification to the game files is prohibited because they don't want people trying to argue that if they're allowed to modify one type of game file then they should be allowed to modify other types of game files.
I totally agree with your point of view.
Change of sound should be allowed in my opinion, there isn't any harm to yourself or others if you change a few irritating sounds to empty wavs or different sounds.

The problem would or could be solved if Blizzard would implement more control over sound options.
Volume sliders for lets say: Pet sound / minion sounds / Boss sounds / environment sounds / weapon sounds (especially gun comes to mind) / Vehicle or mount. etcetera..
Would be nice to at least have control over how loud sounds are instead of muting all sounds alltogether.
02-05-09, 10:59 AM   #34
littlebuddha79
An Onyxian Warder

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations

This doesn't seem to be working for me. Anyone else having problems with it? Or anyone know how to get it to be quiet again?
02-05-09, 11:04 AM   #35
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Where did you install it? hint: It doesn't go into the interface addons directory.
02-05-09, 05:18 PM   #36
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Originally Posted by littlebuddha79 View Post
This doesn't seem to be working for me. Anyone else having problems with it? Or anyone know how to get it to be quiet again?
Easy install:

- Download QuietCopter and save to your desktop

- Open your WoW directory (To find it's location read further down post) and open the "Data" folder

- Open QuietCopter. Drag the "sound" folder over to the Data folder and drop it there. Make sure not to drop it onto another folder.

- Shut down WoW (If running) and Start it up.

** Finding WoW directory **

Simplest way to find where WoW is installed is to right click the WoW launch Icon on your desktop and select properties.

In the Window that open click "Open File Location" (I use Vista. Can not remember if that option is available to XP users or not. If it is not there copy the location from "Start In". That is the location of WoW).
02-05-09, 05:44 PM   #37
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
It appears they may have changed the location of the sound files.

Do me a favor ...

- Goto your WoW directory.

- Open the Data folder.

- Open the Sound folder.

- Open the Ambiance folder.

- Right click the Creature folder and select CUT

- Go BACK to the Sound folder (Back one folder) and Right Click and select PASTE.

This will move the directories back one eliminating the Ambiance folder.

New folder structure should be \Data\Sound\Creature\Gyrocopter\XXXX.wav

I will try to test my self but I hardly ever come in contact with the Gyrocopters.
02-05-09, 10:25 PM   #38
littlebuddha79
An Onyxian Warder

Do me a favor ...

- Open the Data folder.

- Open the Sound folder.

- Go BACK to the Sound folder (Back one folder) and Right Click and select PASTE.

I will try to test my self but I hardly ever come in contact with the Gyrocopters.
kk...will give this a shot and let you know how it turn out. I have it where the download page says, and use other sound mods, so I know it's installed as directed, but I downloaded after the last patch and thought something might've changed...just have no clue what it could be
02-05-09, 10:30 PM   #39
littlebuddha79
An Onyxian Warder

Do me a favor ...

- Open the Data folder.

- Open the Sound folder.

Works beautifully!!! Thank you.
02-05-09, 11:14 PM   #40
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Thanks for testing it. Glad it is working now.

Updating the addon now.

Thanks again.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Silence Helicopter Noise Addon?