04-13-18, 01:27 PM   #1
Svegan
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

BFA - Alpha tester

I would love to test carbonite on the Alpha of BFA. Are there any branches on the github repos for BFA?
04-13-18, 08:05 PM   #2
ebonyfaye
A Fallenroot Satyr

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Can not use add-ons in alpha it's normaly a beta thing
04-14-18, 02:00 AM   #3
ircdirk
A Molten Giant

We are waiting till beta to test BFA. Then we will make special branch for this expansion.
04-21-18, 11:53 AM   #4
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

They've opened the Alpha up to addons, now, so maybe you should think about getting Carbonite ready. Hopefully they haven't changed things around enough to break it.

I mean, I can't play WoW at all ('cause I don't have and can't afford a computer) but it seems like a good idea! Well, to me, anyway.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!
04-21-18, 02:40 PM   #5
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Originally Posted by jeffy162 View Post
They've opened the Alpha up to addons, now, so maybe you should think about getting Carbonite ready. Hopefully they haven't changed things around enough to break it.

I mean, I can't play WoW at all ('cause I don't have and can't afford a computer) but it seems like a good idea! Well, to me, anyway.
Well they have changes quests and maps significantly ... so it may have been affected badly.
04-21-18, 05:40 PM   #6
Nimhfree
A Frostmaul Preserver
Maps are radically changed. At least they are unifying on one unique mapId and no longer doing dungeon levels. The C_Map API are overhauled and pretty logical it seems. There are still things missing that would make life so much easier. Most of the normal quest events seems to provide the basic information in the same way. At least in build 26476.
04-22-18, 02:58 AM   #7
ircdirk
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by jeffy162 View Post

I dont have access to Alpha.

Last edited by ircdirk : 04-22-18 at 03:01 AM.
04-22-18, 09:00 AM   #8
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Unfortunately neither do I.

It does seem reading up what's been found so far it's going to be fun to rebuild, as the 2 main things Carb used to function are changed drastically, or completely missing now.

Last edited by Rythal : 04-22-18 at 09:14 AM.
04-22-18, 11:47 AM   #9
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Don't forget, Rythal, that this isn't "carved in stone" yet. I don't know how much the information will change before release, but, you can be sure it will (this is an Alpha release of the game, after all)!

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!
04-22-18, 01:35 PM   #10
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
Unfortunately neither do I.

It does seem reading up what's been found so far it's going to be fun to rebuild, as the 2 main things Carb used to function are changed drastically, or completely missing now.
If you ever had an idea you wanted to implement but would need a big code base change .. this may be the expansion to do it in, assuming they don't change their mind and put it all back rofl.
04-22-18, 10:19 PM   #11
Svegan
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

testing maps

I have alpha, loaded carbonite maps, and new ace librarys, trying to find and change the lua errors, as they happen, in the fork i made, so I can keep the updates I make, and let rythal and ircdirk see them. right now, there are no player mapping functions, so it may be hard to make maps and questing work, if the player position can not be found.
04-23-18, 01:22 AM   #12
ircdirk
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Svegan View Post
I have alpha, loaded carbonite maps, and new ace librarys, trying to find and change the lua errors, as they happen, in the fork i made, so I can keep the updates I make, and let rythal and ircdirk see them. right now, there are no player mapping functions, so it may be hard to make maps and questing work, if the player position can not be found.
UnitPosition works in BfA so if we know lengths of maps we could rewrite GetPlayerMapPosition...

Also there is https://github.com/tomrus88/Blizzard...dMapAreaID.lua which maps old mapids to new uimapids.

Last edited by ircdirk : 04-23-18 at 01:24 AM.
04-23-18, 10:34 AM   #13
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by ircdirk View Post
UnitPosition works in BfA so if we know lengths of maps we could rewrite GetPlayerMapPosition...

Also there is https://github.com/tomrus88/Blizzard...dMapAreaID.lua which maps old mapids to new uimapids.
For overland that will work, but for scenario's, dungeons, micros, and instances the old drawing methods will no longer work since dungeon levels are gone. That means we can no longer draw the entire thing tiny and zoom/scale to it adjusting based on your dungeon level. It also no longer provides the filenames of the maps being drawn, so that will have to be mined and added for every possible map we want to manually create (as far as I can tell so far).

Overland will also have problems as when you enter a microdungeon, your mapid doesn't change only your dungeon level so carb knows your still in the particular zone.. in the alpha it'll be an entirely new mapid so it won't know your still in vale of eternal blossoms instead of shrine of seven stars as the get current map will return 392 for first level, 393 for second level, 390 for in the zone itself and not the shrine.. each with it's own map that carb will need to handle, and table conversions to know what zone you actually are in.
04-23-18, 11:06 AM   #14
ircdirk
A Molten Giant

For overland that will work, but for scenario's, dungeons, micros, and instances the old drawing methods will no longer work since dungeon levels are gone. That means we can no longer draw the entire thing tiny and zoom/scale to it adjusting based on your dungeon level. It also no longer provides the filenames of the maps being drawn, so that will have to be mined and added for every possible map we want to manually create (as far as I can tell so far).

Overland will also have problems as when you enter a microdungeon, your mapid doesn't change only your dungeon level so carb knows your still in the particular zone.. in the alpha it'll be an entirely new mapid so it won't know your still in vale of eternal blossoms instead of shrine of seven stars as the get current map will return 392 for first level, 393 for second level, 390 for in the zone itself and not the shrine.. each with it's own map that carb will need to handle, and table conversions to know what zone you actually are in.
WorldMapFrame is rendered here: https://github.com/tomrus88/Blizzard...rame.lua#L1212 so we can see usage of those functions i describe below.

Textures of uiMapID are handled by GetMapArtLayerTextures function as it returns textures table:

Code:
Name = "GetMapArtLayerTextures",
			Type = "Function",

Arguments =
			{
				{ Name = "uiMapID", Type = "number", Nilable = false },
				{ Name = "layerIndex", Type = "number", Nilable = false },
			},

Returns =
			{
				{ Name = "textures", Type = "table", InnerType = "number", Nilable = false },
}
https://github.com/tomrus88/Blizzard...tation.lua#L76

Also GetMapInfo will return many information including map ParentID and UIMapType:

Code:
Name = "UIMapType",
			Type = "Enumeration",
			NumValues = 7,
			MinValue = 0,
			MaxValue = 6,
			Fields =
			{
				{ Name = "Cosmic", Type = "UIMapType", EnumValue = 0 },
				{ Name = "World", Type = "UIMapType", EnumValue = 1 },
				{ Name = "Continent", Type = "UIMapType", EnumValue = 2 },
				{ Name = "Zone", Type = "UIMapType", EnumValue = 3 },
				{ Name = "Dungeon", Type = "UIMapType", EnumValue = 4 },
				{ Name = "Micro", Type = "UIMapType", EnumValue = 5 },
				{ Name = "Orphan", Type = "UIMapType", EnumValue = 6 },
},
https://github.com/tomrus88/Blizzard...ation.lua#L291

Last edited by ircdirk : 04-23-18 at 12:31 PM.
04-23-18, 01:17 PM   #15
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
From my understanding of it, the art function returns a "number" and is returning the reference to the ID in the map texture atlas that was added, not the file names.

And yes I know all about those tables, the base point is before hand to work properly carbonite only needed to know 1/3 of the possible ID's, now it will need to know all of them from what I can tell.. but I could be wrong and things will be very simple to change, with it taking 15 minutes to have it up and running.

really it's all mute and guess work until any of us get into the Alpha... which hopefully happens soon, since i'm not buying BfA.. so my work ends when it goes live.
04-23-18, 03:31 PM   #16
Ammako
A Frostmaul Preserver
really it's all mute and guess work until any of us get into the Alpha... which hopefully happens soon, since i'm not buying BfA.. so my work ends when it goes live.
Game will be upgraded to 8.0 regardless of having bought the expansion, so even Lv. 1-20 trial characters can be used to mess with 8.0 api. Though I guess there may still be some functionality which may require Lv. 111+ for BFA content to properly test, for which PTR will be upgraded to BFA eventually. That would depend on how willing you'd be to level a character from 110 on PTR, which is totally understandable if not.

My understanding was that there were still some functions missing and that the new map api wasn't yet complete by Blizzard, so maybe they'd just be adding more stuff in later. But I could be wrong and that's all there will be.
04-23-18, 06:36 PM   #17
Svegan
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Testing

@Rythal, when you do have something, you could make a branch, and I can get it from git and test it on alpha. I also intend to keep modding my fork, to see what I can make work, in hopes to relieve some of your burden in getting this ready.
04-24-18, 01:42 AM   #18
ircdirk
A Molten Giant

From my understanding of it, the art function returns a "number" and is returning the reference to the ID in the map texture atlas that was added, not the file names.

And yes I know all about those tables, the base point is before hand to work properly carbonite only needed to know 1/3 of the possible ID's, now it will need to know all of them from what I can tell.. but I could be wrong and things will be very simple to change, with it taking 15 minutes to have it up and running.

There is also interesting function GetMapChildrenInfo which could help us get sub maps like dalaran, orgimmar, garrison etc. But as u said this is all guessing if we cant get access we cant debug and confirm all these speculations

I have found also new GetTextureFilePath so from atlas texture we could get file path.

Last edited by ircdirk : 04-24-18 at 03:26 AM.
04-24-18, 05:18 PM   #19
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by Ammako View Post
My understanding was that there were still some functions missing and that the new map api wasn't yet complete by Blizzard, so maybe they'd just be adding more stuff in later. But I could be wrong and that's all there will be.
Nope your right.. they posted today the entire old map API was removed, and they are still working on adding things to the new one.
04-24-18, 06:23 PM   #20
Svegan
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

beta has been released today, let me know if you want me to test and report back.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite: General Discussion » BFA - Alpha tester