06-26-18, 11:29 AM   #1
DXMage
A Defias Bandit
Carbonite support for Classic?

Has any work been done to make Carbonite work with Classic when it is released?

THE ANSWER IS "YES": Carbonite Classic + Modules (Alpha release) available at GitHub repo: https://github.com/IrcDirk/Carbonite-Classic

First Alpha release available at:

For more information read this thread...

U can donate to help Carbonite Classic development here:

or

Last edited by ircdirk : 09-19-19 at 03:28 AM. Reason: adding answer
06-26-18, 12:17 PM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Do you have any idea of whether or not addons will be enabled on Classic? What API they will be using?
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

06-26-18, 01:50 PM   #3
Kanegasi
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I'm sure you saw the blog post, but this is all we know so far. I would assume the API would be the same, just adjusted so that objects dealing with specific stuff like garrisons or guild bank would simply be missing. Core stuff like handling frames and textures or all the new mixins would probably be there.
06-26-18, 10:53 PM   #4
ircdirk
A Molten Giant

Maybe there will be Carbonite for classic or maybe not, this is our hobby not work. But first it must be released Beta or PTR, without access to working version we cant do nothing.
11-01-18, 02:01 PM   #5
imjoewhite
A Kobold Labourer
Is there any way to know if you did create a classic version?

Like through email or something? And for that matter is there a way that we can donate to the cause?
11-05-18, 05:00 AM   #6
ircdirk
A Molten Giant

There is many work on Retail version of this addon. So Classic version will be released but dont know when.

Last edited by ircdirk : 09-17-19 at 09:58 AM.
05-14-19, 11:18 AM   #7
DXMage
A Defias Bandit
That is too bad. It was a great addon for the vanilla days. Now that there is a date set of 8-27-2019 for the release I hope that there is little work required to adapt the current carbonite to it.
05-16-19, 02:04 AM   #8
ircdirk
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by DXMage View Post
That is too bad. It was a great addon for the vanilla days. Now that there is a date set of 8-27-2019 for the release I hope that there is little work required to adapt the current carbonite to it.
I dont have time to update all functions to Live Releases... So i will not work on Classic version. But someone else can make Classic version. This addon is opensource with GPL licence.
05-16-19, 08:09 AM   #9
JDoubleU00
A Firelord

Without knowing a lot about the Classic API, I have to ask if an older version might work? I understand that there would not be support for two versions.
05-16-19, 11:49 AM   #10
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
An older version probably wouldn't work out of the box as the addon api probably is the same as the current addon api with just game functionality being different based on the version. It will probably be the case that anyone wishing to do a Classic version of Carbonite would have to see which version has the least changes to make and do any necessary changes.

For example.. the Questing API system will probably be the same as current but the access to World Quests probably won't work. The Mapping API system similarly may be the same as current with access to Maps unavailable to Classic being removed.

Of course, until we can see how they have implemented Classic, this is all theoretical.
05-17-19, 02:32 AM   #11
ircdirk
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by JDoubleU00 View Post
Without knowing a lot about the Classic API, I have to ask if an older version might work?
None of the versions will work. All maps are different, quests etc. Many things needs to be changed to make current version to work in Classic.

Originally Posted by JDoubleU00 View Post
I understand that there would not be support for two versions.
Im not making Classic version of Carbonite, so there will be only support for Live version.
06-28-19, 05:59 AM   #12
AkiRa84
A Defias Bandit
Just to clarify. WoW Classic is using the BfA 8.0.1 client now. So Carbonite Maps for 8.0.1 should simply work out of the box.
Just that the maps would be inconsistent. But we can probably dig up a pre-Cata version of Carbonite and replace the maps.
08-12-19, 04:15 AM   #13
Ebmor
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by ircdirk View Post
I dont have time to update all functions to Live Releases... So i will not work on Classic version. But someone else can make Classic version. This addon is opensource with GPL licence.
Unfortunatly the pre-Cata versions don't have a GPL license.

Does anyone still have contact to the original developers of Carbonite to ask them to rerelease a pre-Cata version of
Carbonit, e.g. Carbonite 3.340 (*), with a GPL license here: http://www.carboniteaddon.com/download.shtml ?

(*) Wowinterface -> Carbonite Maps -> Other Files -> Carbonite 3.34 06/26/10 04:59 AM

(no code modifications are required, just a license change, the Carbonite.lua of the 3.340 version is already not encrypted, unlike early versions)

I had some experimental(!) success with modifications to Carbonite 8.2 and to the first GPL release (CarboniteGPL_5041)
on the test servers this weekend, but without the pre-Cata quest data, POI, ... it will not be were useful anyway.

Although I was able to use "Nx.Que1" (quest data) from Carbonite 3.340 in the modified CarboniteGPL_5041 (ignoring errors) and to track one classic test quest afterwards, such a solution will not be distributable, because of the license problems.

Last edited by Ebmor : 08-12-19 at 04:32 AM.
08-13-19, 12:50 PM   #14
ircdirk
A Molten Giant

Maybe when i play a little on Classic ill do version for it. All quest data can be scrapped from WoWHead and Maps from dbc files... So there is hope for Classic Carbonite version... but i cant promise anything or any date.

Last edited by ircdirk : 09-17-19 at 09:59 AM.
08-15-19, 10:44 AM   #15
Othragon
A Murloc Raider
When I started in late TBC I could not see myself playing without Cabonite's googlemaps like frame. Used until the day I quit, and now returning to Classic nothing complement many of our UI suites better than this gem ported for Classic, which is just the Bfa launch client in disguise.

Here's to hoping you guys find time and motivation to port it!
08-24-19, 09:14 PM   #16
salemn18
A Kobold Labourer
I will be waiting to find out if this comes to fruition. Also willing to help test.
08-27-19, 10:44 AM   #17
Json
A Kobold Labourer
Post Let's try to downgrade Carbonite v2.4.3 to v1.13

So far I've only managed to debug Carbonite Quest and use it even when it was not oficially updated when new patches were released, but I'll try this one. I found oldest version of Carbonite for WoW patch v2.4.3, will try to find out how badly it will be to fix it for Classic v1.13, if it will be possible. (link for Carbonite 2.4.3: https://legacy-wow.com/tbc-addons/carbonite/ )
The worst thing in this case is that I didn't find much of informations about how WoW API is different between v2.4 and v1.13, so it will be mostly try and error which is very time consuming process and there is a little hope to make it work as for now. If Carbonite uses API functions which appeared in API 2.0+ and are not present in API 1.13 - it cannot be done or will have very limited functionality or broken functionality (for example I wonder if Carbonite's map functionality can be done on Classic API)

Last edited by Json : 08-27-19 at 10:47 AM.
08-27-19, 01:57 PM   #18
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

There have been major changes to the API since version 2.4.3 was released. I don't think that the maps will even work. I believe that the classic games' code is a highly modified version of lives 8.1.5, and Carbonite 2.4.3 wouldn't even work in that environment.

Of course, this is all my opinion and I could be wrong (although, I wouldn't bet on it ).

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!
08-28-19, 12:02 AM   #19
Ebmor
A Murloc Raider
MAYBE there will be something available (based on heavily modified CarboniteGPL_5041 code) after the weekend by mid-September (delayed due to excellent wheater conditions).

Last edited by Ebmor : 09-01-19 at 05:01 AM.
08-28-19, 08:45 AM   #20
Pukkot
A Kobold Labourer
Would be awesome

As an old subscriber this was the main addons i used.
As i am now going back to Classic and tried several other addons and they al stink.
I would without a doubt subscribe again if thats an option that would help you
Patch carbonite to wow-Classic.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite: General Discussion » Carbonite support for Classic?