10-08-08, 03:52 AM   #41
BloodEagle
A Theradrim Guardian
I have been using UI mods as long as there were games that would allow them. I remember Cairenn from back on EQi in the old days, and currently in WoW run about 150+ mods. Back in the early times of WoW, I even had my own compilation pack here, and on Curse.

I >>Hated<< curse with a passion back then, because in the last sentance, about me having my comp pack on Curse, was not because I placed it there, it was because someone else took it from here and posted it there, and then I was forced to claim it to keep my name on it. Curse was rife with viruses and listing mods that were never updated. I liked the fact that when you uplaoded a mod to WoWi, that you usually had to wait 24 hours while it was scanned, and made sure there were no .exes in there. People that knew me would ask my advice about mods, and I would tell them to grab them at WorldofWar, or here, but to avoid Curse like the plague.

Now, I hear that Curse has cleaned up thier act, and that they no longer have viruses in the mods, ect. I have gone there, but there are still two major sticking points for me. 1)The site acts and navigates like it was designed for an adult with a major case of ADHD, which makes navigating around the place a job. People are coming there to get UI mods, just give them UI mods and keep all the other crap in different sections. 2) When you click any category, you still get mods from any and every time. Heck, there might still be my old comp on there, even though it has not been updated for probably 3 years. WorldofWar and WoWi both give you very clear indicators as to which mods are new, which are updated to work with the newest and greatest WoW patch, and which are even most liked by people.

You asked why people have hate for Curse, and I have just given you a very good indication from someone that does not like UI mods, but someone that absolutely LOVES them, and praises UI mod authors for the hard work and dedication that they give to the games they love, so that the rest of us "bumps on a log" can log into a game and enjoy thier work.

What we communicate is as important as How we communicate.

10-09-08, 12:12 AM   #42
jinleileiking
A Murloc Raider
what is the future of WWI updater??

personally, i love wwi better than curse.

i love the style.

but , saddly, addons in wowi is less than curse.

because curse have all ace addons.

and wwi updater has some defects:

1. cannnot remove addons...
2. cannot get addon list in wwi updater.
3. fav should have two kind. A. My Fav B Fav of My Fav
10-09-08, 11:03 AM   #43
Kaelten
Jack's raging bile duct

Featured
Originally Posted by dafire View Post
svnsync needs an hook set on the target repository and i don't think you can do that here .)

the disadvantage on curse/curseforge/wowace is that that you can't use tags in curseforge/wowace if you want to keep beta versions to just a few users. If you tag, that version will go to the release site and you have to manually edit the files to alpha if you don't want that.
Using the web interface its possible, (or should be ) to tag something as an alpha.

Anyone that needs what they want
And doesn't want what they need
I want nothing to do with
10-09-08, 01:51 PM   #44
eNTi
A Defias Bandit
well i REALLY REALLY REALLY like WUU because it:
  • works equally well on windows and on linux,
  • is relatively easy to sync addons between pc's (i'm using 4 different pc's in different locations),
  • has some very good customization options,
  • has a descent search / install for (at least) wowace addons,
  • works (worked) for many different sites,

i really can't see anything replacing it, or does anyone have a good substitution? it's VERY important to me, that it works well under linux.

is there any chance it will work with curse again in the (near) future, or can i just use wowi instead?

i'm currently trying to switch from curse to the developer's sites for downloading, but finding the right parameters is quite a challenge.
10-10-08, 04:22 PM   #45
kappe
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
i just hope in near future will be someone who can offer another updater, more similar to jwu, i loved it.
curse client is just all i hate: curse. i'm away from there since patch 1.8. now that the ace team moved there (i really dont understand why), we are all in a great confusion. with 'all' ai mean ppl who care about what addons are, who develop this stuff, and how.
here, or in ace forums, there is a community. on curse there is nothing. just ads, ripoffs, and other odd stuff.
the first question i had in mind was 'why curse and not wowui?' well, still cant catch it. the second question, when i learned about tis curse clien, was 'cool, now i have to pay for the autoupdate function'.
btw, i got a mac, and the cc beta for mac is so ugly and buggy that just i'm not updating addons. and if they think they can get some money rfom ppl like me, ppl that have the same frustration, the same mood, the same 'i dont update, maybe i dont use some addons anymore'.. well, they are wrong.
10-11-08, 08:46 AM   #46
eNTi
A Defias Bandit
@kappe: if you don't understand why wowace went to curse, you haven't read the thread you are so eagerly posting in.

what's with the curse bashing anyways? no one forces anyone to use their service. it might not be best service out there and some might not agree with their business model, but hating them? i mean, don't you guys overreact a little? it's not as if they had stolen your wallet or were lying to you or something. get a grip on yourselves.

oh i forgot... it's "teh internet".
10-11-08, 09:54 AM   #47
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by eNTi View Post
@kappe: if you don't understand why wowace went to curse, you haven't read the thread you are so eagerly posting in.

what's with the curse bashing anyways? no one forces anyone to use their service. it might not be best service out there and some might not agree with their business model, but hating them? i mean, don't you guys overreact a little? it's not as if they had stolen your wallet or were lying to you or something. get a grip on yourselves.

oh i forgot... it's "teh internet".
I can't answer for everyone else, only myself Several reasons why I dislike Curse.... their site is aweful (you would figure with so darn many programmers that they would take the time to make the site at the very least W3C compliant, but I suppose they couldn't be bothered) and hard to get around on. The entire site is every web designers nightmare. The pages take forever to load because there is so much unnecessary crap and bloat on every page. You have to make a bazillion clicks to download a single addon. Their reputation for security leaves little to be desired. I will not use their addon installer, for obvious reasons already listed here in this thread. Those are the reasons why I dislike Curse.

However, I had to stop and ask myself a very important question. The addon authors over there have no part in anything I've stated above, so why should my feelings or opinions about Curse as a whole prevent me from using their (the addon authors) wonderful addons? I had no answer to that, so I created an account over there and spent a few hours adding all of the addons that I use to my favorites list. I don't have to use their addon installer and am freely given the choice to manually download... which I will if and when the need arises. When I want to update a broken addon, I can simply log in and go right to my favorites.. bypassing all the bloated pages that I don't care to see.

Now, if they would fix the "lets make them click on a bazillion download buttons before we let them have the addon they need" then I will be happy..... maybe lol.

10-11-08, 10:32 AM   #48
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I'm not going to mince words. WoWInterface is the only respectable site out there. WoWAce and Curse gaming have absolutely no respect for author rights. WoWAce has shamefully and actively enabled code plagiarizers on more than one occasion. As is obvious from the Times Square like ambiance of their site, Curse gaming cares nothing except about maximizing revenue. They will take every bit of author rights they can get away with without generating too much negative PR. You should have seen their original author release form that they came up with when they redesigned their site. It was absurd. And of course, they do not enforce copyright on the sites they own, even if they agree that violations are occurring.

If you like the add-ons you use, support a site that fully supports the authors that make them. And right now, that is only WoWInterface.
10-11-08, 12:19 PM   #49
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Mazzlefizz View Post
I'm not going to mince words. WoWInterface is the only respectable site out there. WoWAce and Curse gaming have absolutely no respect for author rights. WoWAce has shamefully and actively enabled code plagiarizers on more than one occasion. As is obvious from the Times Square like ambiance of their site, Curse gaming cares nothing except about maximizing revenue. They will take every bit of author rights they can get away with without generating too much negative PR. You should have seen their original author release form that they came up with when they redesigned their site. It was absurd. And of course, they do not enforce copyright on the sites they own, even if they agree that violations are occurring.

If you like the add-ons you use, support a site that fully supports the authors that make them. And right now, that is only WoWInterface.
I've seen you state these things before, and because of that it is also another reason why I do not care for Curse. However, the site owners and what they do have no bearing on weather or not I use the addons there. I wish like hell those authors would move over here, but I don't see that happening. I enjoy the custom UI I created with their addons, and I enjoy the other addons I use from there that help make WoW a little more fun to play. Curse is not getting anything from me, nor will they ever.
10-15-08, 08:45 PM   #50
Benea
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I didn't like curse because in the past, they had very little security or filters of false authors uploading bad stuff for your computer (tm). There were folks uploading malware with almost the same name as popular addons. There was a rash of them at one point, and I remember reporting every one of them.

I like WowI and Wowace, because they had better screening of authors uploading their stuff. Curse might have cleaned up their act, but with the infinite amounts of people that want to hack your game accounts, I am extremely leery of touching anything automated from them (such as updaters).
10-15-08, 11:49 PM   #51
eNTi
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by Benea View Post
I didn't like curse because in the past, they had very little security or filters of false authors uploading bad stuff for your computer (tm). There were folks uploading malware with almost the same name as popular addons. There was a rash of them at one point, and I remember reporting every one of them.

I like WowI and Wowace, because they had better screening of authors uploading their stuff. Curse might have cleaned up their act, but with the infinite amounts of people that want to hack your game accounts, I am extremely leery of touching anything automated from them (such as updaters).
that just reads if you made that up to make them look bad. even if they ever had malware on their servers it's hardly their fault. i don't believe, that wowace or wowi did ever "screen" their users more than curse did. i never got malware from curse.

besides... the curse updater is all but automatic. which is kinda annoying for me really. i used the curse updater for a while, but realized, that it didn't have some features i liked and that some of my fav addons where updated very slowly if ever. when i found that i had to manually update half of my addons by hand and only the other half by curse, i started to look around for something more convenient. not to say i missed linux support.
10-16-08, 07:59 AM   #52
Kaelten
Jack's raging bile duct

Featured
that just reads if you made that up to make them look bad. even if they ever had malware on their servers it's hardly their fault. i don't believe, that wowace or wowi did ever "screen" their users more than curse did. i never got malware from curse.

besides... the curse updater is all but automatic. which is kinda annoying for me really. i used the curse updater for a while, but realized, that it didn't have some features i liked and that some of my fav addons where updated very slowly if ever. when i found that i had to manually update half of my addons by hand and only the other half by curse, i started to look around for something more convenient. not to say i missed linux support.
Well in the interest of full disclosure, there have been times in the past where a keylogger would get uploaded and we'd have to go and take it down after the fact.

This hasn't happened in months however due to our now stricter approval processes.

Anyone that needs what they want
And doesn't want what they need
I want nothing to do with
10-16-08, 09:12 PM   #53
Benea
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Nope I didn't make then look bad, because it really happened. =P Wowace was pretty strict, since you had to get approval from the admin in order to upload stuff (it slowed down new authors from getting permissions but imo it was worth it). WowI had some but they were faster in getting stuff filtered. Curse lingered with it for a while then got stricter.

I also don't like the updater because it asks for admin rights/privs? when it does it's thing. From what I've read, that opens your computer and thus becomes more vulnerable. I guess they did it that way due to Vista (I use WinXP). I'm not the expert (I know enough to do damage ^_^), but opening my computer up to everybody and their mother, no matter how brief, seems to be a bad idea. I wish they just said move your wow folder from the c: program files to another partition/drive or whatever if you are using vista, rather than asking for admin rights.

Last edited by Benea : 10-16-08 at 09:14 PM.
10-16-08, 09:14 PM   #54
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
We had one incident, two files total, that were on the site for less than 12 hrs, in the over seven years of running our sites.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » WowAce - Curse - WUU Updater - Future?