09-09-10, 01:40 PM   #1
xboxdude1
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
A new approach to Bag mods

Goal: Create a completely custom inventory experience, unlike anything that is currently available.

Inspiration: This idea is inspired from baud bag. Baud bag is unique in that it allows you to create custom bags from your current bags. This mod would, if developed by someone, expand on this functionality.

Features:
  • Custom number of slots per created bag
  • Custom arrangement of slots (i.e. rows, columns, other possible arrangements)
  • Custom filling options (i.e. defined by number. My vision for this is the config for this would show numbers on each slot, and much like macaroons button editor, you could define each value for custom fill orders)
  • Filling defined items to defined numbers first
  • Custom display of money/currency (pick the location of the money/currency)

What it solves: For me, this mode solves a major issue of allowing items I want to go where I want. In general I have 3 types of items. Items I need for consumables, Items I need for professions, and Items I loot.

This idea is by no means simple, and I will help in any way that I can, but I lack the programming knowledge to create this. If anyone is willing to take on this project, please do so. I think there would be a significant portion of the population that would benefit from a mod like this.

Last edited by xboxdude1 : 09-09-10 at 01:45 PM.
09-09-10, 01:43 PM   #2
xboxdude1
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
To clarify the slot numbers:
Bag1, your backpack, would be slots 1-16.
Bag2, lets say a portable hole, would be slots 17-40.
This continues down the line.
09-09-10, 01:46 PM   #3
sacrife
An Onyxian Warder

Like: Cargbags_nivaya?

09-09-10, 01:49 PM   #4
xboxdude1
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by sacrife View Post
Like: Cargbags_nivaya?
As far as I can tell that puts items items into certain bags, not slots. What I am talking about is defining slots to bags, and defining the order in which they fill. That is unique from any bag mod that I can tell.
09-09-10, 02:27 PM   #5
Jzar
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

I used to append a similar statement to just about every addon feature request I put in: "I think a ton of people would love this." I stopped doing that though, as my UI has developed and I've found tons of ways to organize and structure the various elements that are nothing like what I originally imagined. I don't think very many of my ideas really have that much of a bearing on the population in general. I have made a couple of addon suggestions that I feel have made a huge difference for the users of the addon, but they have rarely been the ones that I thought were the most useful and profound changes. Not saying that that's true of yours, but ... just something to think about.

As far as I understand what you're describing, it sounds an awful lot like ArkInventory. I looked up Baud Bag, and as near as I can tell what is unique about it, I could set up ArkInventory to do basically the same thing. It looks a lot like Cargbags_nivaya could too. I just don't see why it matters where things are physically placed, as long as they are seperated into the categories you said are relevant to you, and sorted into a logical order? With ArkInventory or Cargbags_nivaya, you'd never see the actual ordering of items in your bags anymore anyways.

Well, I urge you to dig deeper into existing bag mods. I'm sure I could sit down with you and get ArkInventory configured in a way that would make you happy, but anyways, best of luck finding something that works.

Last edited by Jzar : 09-09-10 at 02:35 PM.
09-10-10, 01:29 AM   #6
Luzzifus
A Warpwood Thunder Caller

Like Jzar, I understand your request as a search for a specific kind of custom arrangement of your desired items. In my Addon (cargBags_Nivaya), items are sorted into categories by automatic or manual filtering. You don't see which inventory slot goes where, and as you correctly stated they're getting mixed.

However, for achieving your desired item arrangement, wouldn't it be sufficient if you could add custom bags/containers and move the items in question there? They would get sorted in their container and you would have all the items of each of your custom categories in one place.

If yes, just wait a day or two, I'm currently implementing a feature to add custom containers ingame (**edit: Done!).

Last edited by Luzzifus : 09-11-10 at 02:03 PM.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » A new approach to Bag mods