07-22-10, 03:15 PM   #541
tutti
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
The number of digits in this batch of keys is the same number of digits in the first batch of keys. That isn't the problem.
But the last batch was put into the old battle.net page, while this one is getting put into the new one, correct?
07-22-10, 03:15 PM   #542
Rhianidd
A Murloc Raider
Beta Key

*sigh* Finally got the keys, and now we can't use them... Maybe a *pout* will fix it.

Rhia
07-22-10, 03:16 PM   #543
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
I've emailed Blizzard with the suggestion that that might be the problem, we'll see.
07-22-10, 03:17 PM   #544
Hamstah
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by chippydip View Post
I wonder if its a server-side or client-side check? Maybe its possible to bypass the check on the client-side in order to submit the key and the server would be perfectly happy to process it ;-)
From what I can see, the only client side check is to confirm that the key contains at least 1 character, which it passes :P

/edit
Thanks Cairenn <3
07-22-10, 03:17 PM   #545
Kaidian
A Theradrim Guardian

Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
I've emailed Blizzard with the suggestion that that might be the problem, we'll see.
Thanks! lets hope it helps...
07-22-10, 03:17 PM   #546
Emythrel
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Originally Posted by tutti View Post
But the last batch was put into the old battle.net page, while this one is getting put into the new one, correct?
This is true but blizz wouldn't (one would hope) have issued keys they knew would not be useable a few hours later. They are stupid but not that stupid (one would hope).

Its probably a coding issue, when coding for key length some numpty at blizz probably forgot to tell it to accept 25 character keys. IF we could get past that coding the database and back-end would likely accept them in a heartbeat
Life is like oral sex.... far too short but damn fun while it lasts!
-----------------------
520p 500kbps Beta Stream: http://livestream.com/emywowbeta with 24/7 VOD when not streaming live
07-22-10, 03:18 PM   #547
Kaidian
A Theradrim Guardian

Originally Posted by Emythrel View Post
This is true but blizz wouldn't (one would hope) have issued keys they knew would not be useable a few hours later. They are stupid but not that stupid (one would hope).

Its probably a coding issue, when coding for key length some numpty at blizz probably forgot to tell it to accept 25 character keys. IF we could get past that coding the database and back-end would likely accept them in a heartbeat
So find us a way then
07-22-10, 03:21 PM   #548
Emythrel
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Originally Posted by Kaidian View Post
So find us a way then
short of hacking into their database (which im sure wouldn't be too hard if you know where to look) our only other option is to find the idiot who made the mistake and flog him with a wet fish.... that usually makes webtech's suddenly remember how to do their job ;p
-----------------------
520p 500kbps Beta Stream: http://livestream.com/emywowbeta with 24/7 VOD when not streaming live
07-22-10, 03:21 PM   #549
tutti
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

That's the point :P Someone forgot to program the new site to accept codes the old one would.
07-22-10, 03:22 PM   #550
Kaidian
A Theradrim Guardian

So we all agree the easy option for Blizzard is to re-enable the old site until this is fixed.
07-22-10, 03:22 PM   #551
Hamstah
An Aku'mai Servant
short of hacking into their database (which im sure wouldn't be too hard if you know where to look) our only other option is to find the idiot who made the mistake and flog him with a wet fish.... that usually makes webtech's suddenly remember how to do their job ;p
Ahh yes, I'm quite sure that hacking into Blizzard's game activation key database wouldn't be very hard at all
07-22-10, 03:23 PM   #552
Emythrel
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Originally Posted by Kaidian View Post
So we all agree the easy option for Blizzard is to re-enable the old site until this is fixed.
agreed, however by now blizz have probably deleted the old site and summarily executed its coders so that they may never reveal its secrets
-----------------------
07-22-10, 03:25 PM   #553
Emythrel
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Originally Posted by Hamstah-Emeriss View Post
Ahh yes, I'm quite sure that hacking into Blizzard's game activation key database wouldn't be very hard at all :P
Database hacking is easy, if you know where to look.... the hard part is finding it. finding a back-door is easy once u have located the system itself. how else do u think 14 year old kids hack the pentagon?

p.s i couldn't do it myself but i know a few webtech's who could and do hack databases all the time... usually their own to check for security holes.
-----------------------

Last edited by Emythrel : 07-22-10 at 03:27 PM.
07-22-10, 03:25 PM   #554
Dark-Sider
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

one would assume, that both the old and the new battle.net page would use the same database in the background. Within classic web-development you have three layers:

1) presentation tier
2) application tier
3) data tier

if you map this to battle net you get:

1) the nice looking .js and .xml webpages that battle.net throws at you
2) the webserver-logic that generates those pages
3) the queries to the database and the database itself.

to make the new battle.net you only have to replace 1) and 2).

The key-rejection happens in layer 1,2 and 3. Layer 1 just has a basic check that the key is somehow correct. Layer two might add some "secret" checksum-checking that blizzard won't make public
Layer three is the actual comparision of the key against the valid - keys stored in the database

Last edited by Dark-Sider : 07-22-10 at 03:29 PM.
07-22-10, 03:27 PM   #555
GT4
A Fallenroot Satyr
Does anybody actually prefer the new Battle.net site? Just wondering because everybody I've asked so far doesn't seem to like it anyway.
07-22-10, 03:28 PM   #556
Kaidian
A Theradrim Guardian

I dont mind it, I just think it was evidently rushed out without testing.
07-22-10, 03:29 PM   #557
Nexuapex
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by GT4 View Post
Does anybody actually prefer the new Battle.net site? Just wondering because everybody I've asked so far doesn't seem to like it anyway.
I prefer it. The only question is the forums, at least in my eyes.
07-22-10, 03:29 PM   #558
Emythrel
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
its been styled for SC2 by the looks of it.
-----------------------
07-22-10, 03:29 PM   #559
Hamstah
An Aku'mai Servant
Now that you mention it, no. When I first saw it I though "clunky, outdated look, ugly in general"
07-22-10, 03:29 PM   #560
Schnorki
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
it'd be significantly more pleasing if you could disable those ginormous buttons for warcraft/starcraft/diablo at the bottom...them things are beyond annoying

WoWInterface » Site Forums » News » Massive AddOn Author Cataclysm Beta Key Give-Away!