07-26-10, 01:39 AM   #1
Beoko
GUI Discussion

Over the past year or two I have experimented with, created, used, and implemented far too many different designs for GUI's to count. I've been using a set of templates that I constantly revise due to my own indecisiveness about what makes a GUI useful, user-friendly, and fulfill its purpose. So, I thought that I would ask others what they consider to be useful and user-friendly. I'm curious not only from a developer perspective but also from a user's perspective.

Some questions I can think of to start it off:
  • Do you prefer to use/see wow themed GUI's over custom themes?
  • Which widgets do you prefer to use/create for certain tasks?
  • Do you prefer to use templates provided by Blizzard or your own?
  • Do you prefer to use certain color themes (I.E.: class colors)?
  • Do you prefer toolbars, lists, trees, or dropdowns?
    • Toolbars are something I'm currently experimenting with, so this one is something I'm especially curious toward.
I'm hoping that this will spark a healthy discussion over improving GUI standards inside of WoW.
07-26-10, 06:10 AM   #2
Waverian
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Do you prefer to use/see wow themed GUI's over custom themes
Ones that use textures from the client.
  • Consistency in design between different addons is one of the most important features of GUI implementation because it relates to intuitive use. We have a simple API that integrates seamlessly into the UI as is with no downsides*. Having every addon configuration screen accessible from one place in the options menu is better than slash command exclusive ones.
  • They're friendly to skinning addons & texture replacement.

Which widgets do you prefer to use/create for certain tasks?
When you should use each widget type seems pretty obvious to me.

Checkbox for binary on/off options. Dropdowns for mutually exclusive multiple choice options. Sliders for numbers, and always include a linked editbox.

Do you prefer to use templates provided by Blizzard or your own?
The Blizzard templates are inadequate for fully streamlining the process. If I were doing complex GUI work (something I can't already do with a couple dozen lines of code myself) I'd use AceGUI or one of the smaller similar options libraries (i.e. tekkub's).

I don't know what a toolbar is in this context.

The most important element of a GUI however is how intuitive it is. It shouldn't take a user more than 20 seconds (arbitrary number) to find an option if they make an effort. I'm not going to pick on any particular addon, but I will say that even as an experienced user I still have trouble finding options I've used before in some addons.

I'm a fan of list/sub-menu as well as tabs for more complex GUIs, but once again you need to have an intuitive labeling scheme for these. In my opinion, DXE is a great example of having all of the positive traits I mentioned in most cases. It's has very complex options because of the need to edit individual alerts, but it handles it elegantly; I've rarely spent more than a few seconds at any one point trying to find an option.

*Note: I recall there being a bug at some point with the addons menu if you had too many addons registered for display in the option's window - I don't know if this still exists. If it does that's a downside, but users will rarely have that many option-dependent addons installed even if every addon author switches to this consistent integrated method.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » GUI Discussion