02-15-07, 02:01 PM   #1
WeeBaby
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Cool Question on new monitor

I am upgrading my monitor from a CRT 19" to a 22" widescreen flat. My video card is a NVidia GeForce 6600 w/ 512 memory. My question is, will that video card be ok for the new monitor? I got rid of any lag I had in WOW when I upgraded to 2 gig memory on the mobo. Just hoping that the new monitor won't slow things down any. Thanks!
02-15-07, 08:50 PM   #2
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by WeeBaby
I am upgrading my monitor from a CRT 19" to a 22" widescreen flat. My video card is a NVidia GeForce 6600 w/ 512 memory. My question is, will that video card be ok for the new monitor? I got rid of any lag I had in WOW when I upgraded to 2 gig memory on the mobo. Just hoping that the new monitor won't slow things down any. Thanks!

Monitors and video cards don't matter. Any monitor that can plug into your video card will work just fine. It won't cause any more lag.

One of the things that might be an issue is the refresh rate of the new monitor. I assume by the fact that you called it a flat monitor it is a LCD. Slow refresh rates cause "ghosting" in images. This is seen usually in fast moving games like FPS and such. Slow refresh rates mean the pixels take longer to change colors. The faster the refresh rates the less you nitice this change. Newer LCD's are getting better an better and high refresh rates are more than common now as costs are dropping considerably.

The only other problem might be the widescreen as it might take a little extra juice from the card to render the bigger area but I don't think thats likely.
02-15-07, 09:41 PM   #3
gariig
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
If you own an LCD a good video card does come into play. Unline a CRT LCD monitors are optimized to play at a certain resolution. If you are getting some huge LCD you need a powerful video card to run at the higher resolution that the LCD monitor demands. For WoW you shouldn't have any problem. Other games(FEAR, HL2:EP2) you might have trouble as they are more taxing on your system then WoW.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Question on new monitor