08-09-19, 10:31 AM   #1
Moosetrax
A Fallenroot Satyr
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
UI Graphics / Textures Question

Hello all, I need your help...

I recently uploaded an Addon (Stonewrought UI) which intended to replace the Classic UI Frames with textures that I created. After testing it in the stress test yesterday, I found that some of the textures that I created do not display in game. I had previously tested everything on p-servers and all the textures displayed perfectly so I am guessing that it's something to do with changes in the Retail UI over the years. If anyone has advice how to find out either what new textures I need to create, or if this is something that will require coding to correct, please let me know. I would very much appreciate your help.

Here is a list of the frames that I am having trouble with:
Merchant Frame: UI-Merchant and UI-BuyBack
FriendsFrame: UI-FriendsFrame, WhoFrame, UI-IgnoreFrame, and GuildFrame (need to figure out what is used for Raid and Groups also)
MacroFrame
LootFrame: UI-LootPanel
If you have any questions about the files that I created or how, I am more than happy to answer if it would help to resolve this. Thanks!
08-09-19, 01:22 PM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
First of all, never trust private servers for much of anything.

Second, you can extract the interface art files to have a look at which files are which, if names have changed, etc, etc.
https://wowwiki.fandom.com/wiki/Extr...nterface_files
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

08-09-19, 01:56 PM   #3
Moosetrax
A Fallenroot Satyr
Thank you for you input I really appreciate it, but bear with me for a sec...

I used the extracted UI textures as a template for my own, which is why I am asking for help here. Do you know if there is a macro that can be used in game to find out what textures are being used, maybe on mouse over?

The trouble is that I have created all the files that are obviously part of the UI, not all the buttons, icons etc, just the frames. This is why I am confused. In the simplest example, the loot frame, I created a graphic using the original as a template then saved a blp into a folder named the same as the original folder, then placed it in the Interface folder for Classic, but the default graphic is used in game. On the other hand, all the container frames, created and installed the exact same way, display as intended in Classic.
08-09-19, 08:01 PM   #4
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Did you extract the files from the Classic client?
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

08-09-19, 09:35 PM   #5
Moosetrax
A Fallenroot Satyr
I used files extracted from the retail client. I also cross checked them with textures from the 2010 client to see if I might have overlooked something that had been used in earlier clients. I even compared the files that I created with those in other UI addons like Muir and Aura to see what differences there might be between those Addons and mine.

From what I can see there may be a couple files in the FriendsFrame folder that I may have missed. I will create those tomorrow and test them in retail now that I have reactivated my account. However, I am at a loss for the others.

Is it possible that I need to have some coding to tell the client to use certain textures of mine? I ask because I had made this as a texturpack to go into the Interface folder assuming the client would use those textures in place of it’s own. I have nothing coded to go into the addons folder.

Last edited by Moosetrax : 08-09-19 at 09:41 PM.
08-10-19, 10:36 AM   #6
Moosetrax
A Fallenroot Satyr
After further investigation, it looks as though the method for creating some of the frames has changed since the last time I actively played. Apparently there are several elements that are being used in combination to create some of the frames now, not just the topleft, topright, botleft, botright pieces from the past.

In the frames I am having trouble with, even though the original pieces are still in the interface folders, they may not be actively used in game any longer. Unless there is a mouse over macro in game to determine what textures are being used I will be working my way through them trying to figure out what I still need to create.
08-10-19, 03:08 PM   #7
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
To determine which textures are being used kind of depends on which frame you're looking for. You can try
Code:
/run GetMouseFocus():GetTexture()
but it might not work for everything, or work the way you expect.

08-10-19, 06:13 PM   #8
Moosetrax
A Fallenroot Satyr
Thank you! I had been using /fstack, or should I say I had been trying to use /fstack.
08-11-19, 01:38 AM   #9
Moosetrax
A Fallenroot Satyr
Alright, I finally think that I have sorted it out. There are a couple files in the FramesGeneral folder that are used to piece together just about all the frames I was having issues with. It’s a little confusing to decipher how some of the parts interact, but I love a challenge and I got this one taken care of now. Once I get everything wrapped up I’ll probably make a post about it. That way, anyone else barking up the same tree might an easier time.
08-11-19, 06:17 PM   #10
Moosetrax
A Fallenroot Satyr
Taken care of... basically there are five files in the FramesGeneral folder that are require to create a number of frames in Classic: !UI-Frame, _UI-Frame, UI-Frame, UI-Background-Marble, and UI-Background-Rock. The only real challenge was figuring out how the elements of !UI-Frame and _UI-Frame interact to make parts of the UI. While it looks pretty straight forward on the surface, portions of both of these files are used in strips of 1px x 256px while other portions of them are used in full.

I may upload a couple shots at some point to make it easy to see. Until then, if you put a bunch of different colored 1px stripes horizontally in the top chunk of _UI-Frame and vertically in the left chunk of !UI-Frame, load them into a folder in the Interface folder titled FrameGeneral, and log in you will see. Only a handful of the 1px stripes will be used in the UI so it's really important to use colors that are obviously different in order to be able to tell what is actually being used.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Graphics Help » UI Graphics / Textures Question