10-28-14, 01:24 PM   #121
wilykat
A Murloc Raider
Wow so much misinformation. The addon has not required payment or requested donation since the original creator dropped it a couple years ago. Any money sent are completely free will.

Blizzard even has rule that bans anyone from asking for money or requiring payment to use addon for a while now. I think it's 5 years now? Anyone who thinks Carbonite needed money is an idiot.

To AleXuTzU may you become eunuch. You don't deserve to pass your idiot gene to your offspring.

10-28-14, 01:53 PM   #122
eqsanctum
The Great Equalizer

Premium Member
Originally Posted by AleXuTzU View Post
What,did u put your friends to throw bad words on me?cut that donate buton and all will be good.You people are blind or what?The autors of Carbonite,had never done this.If you don't have time to develope Carbonite,dive it to others,how the first autors,did.You people are blind,really...
God that hurt my eyes.

The original Carb authors put out fast patches when they got paid for it. They put out one or two fast patches when they didn't then the updates came REALLY REALLY slow. They were honest about it, they didn't make money off it anymore and it wasn't a priority. Rythal has never asked for money. He doesn't expect it... Sooooo what's the deal? Leave the guy alone and let him do his work, if he wants to, or doesn't.

10-28-14, 02:07 PM   #123
Kyzmet
A Murloc Raider
I seriously don't get the whining and complaining.
Blizz maps have made huge improvements and while I greatly prefer the flexibility and usability of Carbonite due to being 50% blind I can function fine with the built in options. If you think you can do a better job than Rythal than by all means get jumping.
He is having to basically rewrite the add-on to get everything to work.
If you don't have the skill or training required to take over then step away form your electronic courage and wait.
If you have the skills and knowledge then download the newest one and rebuild it yourself and yet again quit trying to hide behind the anonymity of the internet and flame someone that is doing something to help others.
Don't want to donate? Don't donate.
Won't donate until it is fixed cool shut up and wait.
Think you can help Ry Send him a private message instead of trying to blow your own horn on a forum.

10-28-14, 03:13 PM   #124
LadyTash
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Spheo View Post
Rythal,

Like many here, I am anxiously awaiting the fruits of your hard work and dedication to the future of this AddOn.

Perhaps, we may send you a 12 pack of your choosing? It would be appropriate, because for most of us, it takes copious amounts of alcohol to put up with the Blizzard mapping UI and Quest Guide.

Let us know if there is a PO Box somewhere we can send liquid appreciation, don't mind if there are a few brews missing when it arrives; just the thought of playing without Carbonite makes me thirsty.

-Spheo
Amen, and Amen and Amen! LOL Take as long as you need sir, we (those truly dedicated to you and your work) will wait with baited breath (well, maybe a little alcoholically baited breath) for real life issues to release their strangle hold upon you so that you might return to us again Until then, I'm with the majority here who don't wish to listen to the whiners and complainers. Part of the reason I've not really involved myself in any game forum's...I hate the undeserved bashing and unyielding complaining..and thus the reason I will most likely turn away from them once this update is completed.

10-28-14, 03:18 PM   #125
HammerRed
A Defias Bandit
What,did u put your friends to throw bad words on me?cut that donate buton and all will be good.You people are blind or what?The autors of Carbonite,had never done this.If you don't have time to develope Carbonite,dive it to others,how the first autors,did.You people are blind,really...
LOL your poor thing, Carbonite is released License: GNU General Public License version 3 (GPLv3) if you can do better download the source code and have at it.

10-28-14, 07:32 PM   #126
Eternal_Lynx
An Aku'mai Servant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Carbonite was an add-on you need to BUY before Blizzard forced all wow add-ons to be free of charge. Are you blind or what?
And that one day they stopped to update and release it under GPL lisense. That means ANYONE can make a new working version based on it and accept donation.
If you think Rythal's work worth nothing, just make a new Carbonite by yourself and stop being such a selfish jerk.

10-29-14, 09:22 AM   #127
Draven006
A Fallenroot Satyr
This just goes to show your incomprehension of what you are saying.
This goes to show you are a NOOB about this addon.

If you don't know the truth SHUT THE F@*K UP.

The ORIGINAL Carbonite developers gave away a free, cut down, stripped to shit addon.
If you wanted the FULL addon then you HAD to pay them either a monthly fee or pay for it for a year!

Blizzard put a stop to that and said no-one should be paying for an addon.
Carbonite ORIGINAL developers throw the towel in and STOPPED ALL UPDATES, cos they were greedy buggers.

RYTHAL... our addon savour, picked up the project as a fan, and he has been doing it for free ever since.
Donations are welcome to him, but YOU AleXuTzU, you dim witted dumbass.... YOU show me where Rythal has ONCE, EVER, asked for money, donations, beer or ANY gratuity for what he has been doing.

AleXuTzU... if you don't like it F@*K off (oh and learn to type proper English)

Rythal, I support and salute you.

Last edited by Draven006 : 10-29-14 at 09:28 AM.

10-29-14, 12:41 PM   #128
Fera_Luna
A Defias Bandit
Add my name to the pile of antsy (read: "impatient") Carbonite users that are here to support you, Rythal!

Carbonite original was the only addon I used when I first started playing back when 40 was the level cap and flying (oops! I meant riding) lessons were cheap and the mounts were expensive. Over the years, I tried to replace it with "freebies" but they just couldn't compete. I left WoW for a bit and came back to find that Carbonite was still available and now FREE! (yeah...I was gone for a LONG while) and was super happy that I'd be able to get ready for WoD using my "pal" of an addon. Then it broke due to "Improving" the game. (Damn you Blizzard patch minions!)

At this point I feel like Brando on the street screaming "Stella-aaaaa!" up at the balcony!

So, short story long, Rythal, I too support you and can't wait until your RL allows you to fix this so I can log into WoW and truly be able to say, "Carbonite, you complete me".

Thanks!

Because I couldn't just "Like" a comment, I've picked the two I liked most and embedded them below...

Originally Posted by Spheo View Post
Rythal,

Like many here, I am anxiously awaiting the fruits of your hard work and dedication to the future of this AddOn.

Perhaps, we may send you a 12 pack of your choosing? It would be appropriate, because for most of us, it takes copious amounts of alcohol to put up with the Blizzard mapping UI and Quest Guide.

Let us know if there is a PO Box somewhere we can send liquid appreciation, don't mind if there are a few brews missing when it arrives; just the thought of playing without Carbonite makes me thirsty.

-Spheo
Originally Posted by Draven006 View Post
This just goes to show your incomprehension of what you are saying.
This goes to show you are a NOOB about this addon.

If you don't know the truth SHUT THE F@*K UP.

The ORIGINAL Carbonite developers gave away a free, cut down, stripped to shit addon.
If you wanted the FULL addon then you HAD to pay them either a monthly fee or pay for it for a year!

Blizzard put a stop to that and said no-one should be paying for an addon.
Carbonite ORIGINAL developers throw the towel in and STOPPED ALL UPDATES, cos they were greedy buggers.

RYTHAL... our addon savour, picked up the project as a fan, and he has been doing it for free ever since.
Donations are welcome to him, but YOU AleXuTzU, you dim witted dumbass.... YOU show me where Rythal has ONCE, EVER, asked for money, donations, beer or ANY gratuity for what he has been doing.

AleXuTzU... if you don't like it F@*K off (oh and learn to type proper English)

Rythal, I support and salute you.

10-29-14, 09:06 PM   #129
Fathersin
A Cyclonian

Originally Posted by Fera_Luna View Post
Carbonite original was the only addon I used when I first started playing back when 40 was the level cap
40? And flying? Do what?

10-29-14, 09:11 PM   #130
wilykat
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Fathersin View Post
40? And flying? Do what?
Think he meant back when first riding level was still at 40 (and more expensive), not at 20 right now.

10-29-14, 10:57 PM   #131
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Status Update: Instances / Scenarios are detected and working, have not yet tested BG's

Question, I have never in all my WoW career run an Arena match.... what exactly did Carbonite do during arena's? From what I can see they have no maps, and no map ID's...

10-29-14, 11:24 PM   #132
asctt1
A Murloc Raider
so we should have it back soon ? and nothing that i can remember

10-29-14, 11:40 PM   #133
Origami
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
Status Update: Instances / Scenarios are detected and working, have not yet tested BG's

Question, I have never in all my WoW career run an Arena match.... what exactly did Carbonite do during arena's? From what I can see they have no maps, and no map ID's...

I don't believe carbonite did anything special for arenas if anything at all... But I could be wrong... Never thought to use it during one lol...

10-30-14, 02:29 AM   #134
Louisa Bannon
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Rythal:

This is a great addon. I know you know that because you made a rather significant effort some time back to take it over. IMHO, the addon is in pretty good hands. I appreciate that you resist band-aid solutions and generally just wait to get it right instead.

I just wanted to add my voice to those expressing gratitude. I know your efforts are appreciated by many.

10-30-14, 07:22 AM   #135
mjumnito
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Author - Click to view addons

I never noticed it doing anything in arenas. Although they get over so quick and are in such a small space I kept the map close when I was in there.

Looking around on wowpedia though I did find where they had arenas listed (at least it has the newer arenas). Its below if its anyhelp.

Code:
MapID   Map Name
 ? 	Blade's Edge Arena
 ? 	Dalaran Arena
559 	Nagrand Arena
572 	Ruins of Lordaeron
 ? 	The Ring of Valor
1134 	The Tiger's Peak
980 	Tol'Viron Arena
Wowpedia says to use /dump GetInstanceInfo(). if you need Ill try to get into some to get the numbers this weekend

Last edited by mjumnito : 10-30-14 at 05:56 PM. Reason: edit: info changed

10-30-14, 09:11 AM   #136
Mordralis
An Aku'mai Servant

Just A Suggestion?

I'll stick to this thread instead of making a new one...

A short explanation of what's being worked on currently:

The old Carbonite had 2 Zone tables. One followed blizzards zoneID's (4 = Durotar, 9 = Mulgore etc etc),
and One used it's own numbering system (1000 - 1999 was Eastern Kingdoms, 2000 - 2999 was Kalimdor, 3000-3999 was Outlands etc etc)

The entire mapping system relied on and was using the 1000,2000 system while guides locations quest tracking etc was using the zoneID system. The two were tied together strictly by the zone name. So during the table initialization, it looked at zone 1001 saw Durotar was it's name and created links between 1001 and 4 in various tables.

With the new continent coming, that entire system no longer works, as it can't tell Burning Crusade Shadowmoon Valley from WoD Shadowmoon Valley. So I am working on converting the 1000,2000 system over to zoneID's.

This is also leading to some problems on it's own, as things like Battlegrounds were placed in 9000-9999 and through out the entire mapping system it would check if you were in a battleground by seeing if carbonites internal ID was 9001 etc, so I need to find new ways to check for instances or battlegrounds.
I've done extensive programming over the last 30 years, but it has been in databases, like Access, Oracle, etc...really different from this type of programming. However, I've had scenarios where queries were based on a numbering system, similar to that you describe, and extensive links, joins and unions hat corresponded to that system.
Some would say that it would be easier (in database programming) to just scrap it and remap the entire numbering system. However, in doing that, you have to create a whole new set of rules in addition to a restructure that throws away the old system as being irrelevant - and in so doing you lose a mapping history trail, since in essence you are redesigning the entire database. To relate in WoW terms, although you remap to show the new areas, you lose the historical trail of some of the older points.
Would it not be possible in these instances to utilize an additional number set that would identify the new content, retaining the original number set relationships? If in the past the number sets were 1000-1999, 2000-2999, 3000-3999, etc, maybe use an additional number set of 0000-0999?
It would still be a lot of work, tying the relationships in, building the passthroughs, unions, etc...but much less work than revamping the entire system.
Anyway, again, just a suggestion from a database programmer.
I have been using Carbonite since 2009, before you acquired it from the original developers. It is by far and without exception the best module for what it does. I feel totally lost and can no longer get the value of mapping with Blizz's mapping system, or with any other addon I've been able to find to date. Your dedication and commitment to the continual development of Carbonite is appreciated!

10-30-14, 12:29 PM   #137
Fenraire
A Kobold Labourer
Originally Posted by LadyTash View Post
Amen, and Amen and Amen! LOL Take as long as you need sir, we (those truly dedicated to you and your work) will wait with baited breath (well, maybe a little alcoholically baited breath) for real life issues to release their strangle hold upon you so that you might return to us again Until then, I'm with the majority here who don't wish to listen to the whiners and complainers. Part of the reason I've not really involved myself in any game forum's...I hate the undeserved bashing and unyielding complaining..and thus the reason I will most likely turn away from them once this update is completed.
I'd just like to add my voice to those who are here to thank and applaud someone who gives of their time like this, just for the love of the gaming community. It really astonishes me that anyone would make petulant demands about this. I know Blizz won't let you accept money, but seriously, if someone happened to private message me a PO Box, I happen to know that baked goods ship pretty well

10-30-14, 12:53 PM   #138
onenutmcgee
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Fenraire View Post
. I know Blizz won't let you accept money, but seriously, if someone happened to private message me a PO Box, I happen to know that baked goods ship pretty well
As an FYI, it's not that Blizz won't let addon developers accept money. There is a donate button on the main addon page at wow interface. You *can* donate. What blizz disallowed was having an addon that you had to pay money for. Which is what Carbonite was way back when. You had to pay for it.

10-30-14, 02:24 PM   #139
atl77
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Pre-beta release?

Rythal, can't you put a pre-release (early beta) up so we can help you figuring out what needs fixing?

10-30-14, 03:06 PM   #140
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by atl77 View Post
Rythal, can't you put a pre-release (early beta) up so we can help you figuring out what needs fixing?
As soon as I get battlegrounds working I planned on doing that It'll be the maps system only as I haven't even started looking at making the rest work with the revamped system

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » WOD/Pre-patch