03-15-11, 09:31 AM   #1
Kenshone
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Personal Addon Not Loading...

Hello. I'm having a simple problem which I hope has a simple solution. My addon is not loading.
  • I have even tried putting
    Code:
    print("hi")
    at line 1 of the addon, and it won't even run that bit of code.
  • I have tested the code by putting it in another (Ace3-based) addon's lua and just running my module out of it. But when I isolate the module into its own (non-Ace3) addon, it does not seem to respond. I took care to ensure there aren't any references/embeds/dependences on Ace3.
  • My isolated module shows up in my AddOns list in-game, and I am able to click the "enable" box.
  • I've noticed that ever since I made this addon, the load times on the launcher and the loading of wow.exe in general has slowed considerably. Whereas it was a second before, it takes about 10 seconds now.
  • I have run the code through an lua debugger, and I'm confident the grammar and logic are both sound, so I think this has to be something syntactical.
  • I have followed the basic wowwiki guides to creating one's own addon, as far as the naming of files as well as the .toc

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.
03-15-11, 09:44 AM   #2
Grimsin
A Molten Giant

Mind posting the code? without seeing whats going on i cant tell you why its not working.

GrimUI
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
03-15-11, 09:47 AM   #3
Kenshone
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
The code is almost 1200 lines long. Is there any particular chunk you'd be interested in?
03-15-11, 09:52 AM   #4
Grimsin
A Molten Giant

well what does your addon do exactly? Since you cant get it to even print lets start with the .toc file you have setup and go from there.

GrimUI
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
03-15-11, 09:56 AM   #5
Kenshone
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Here is the TOC

Code:
## Interface: 40000
## Title: Kenshone Quant Frames
## Notes: Ohai
## Author: Kenshone / Quantark US-Blackrock
## Version: Release 1.0
## DefaultState: Enabled
## SavedVariables: kenshoneEX,kenshoneWHY

KenshoneQuantFrames.lua
My addon has several functions. It will:
  • Parse the combat log and give certain notifications on certain combat log events
  • Create statusbars frame which will track the hp of NPC enemies of my raid.
  • Create another statusbars frame which will track innervates available within my raid.

I have to talk to a customer for a bit so I'll be back in about 20 minutes. Thanks!
03-15-11, 10:02 AM   #6
Grimsin
A Molten Giant

For starters remove the DefaultState part unless you intended it to be a Load on demand addon? Normally you only use that DefaultState part if your addon is going to be load on demand and normally it would be set to disabled so that the addon only loads when its information is requested by another addon. You want it to load up and do its thing all the time though correct? If so start with removing that and then see if your print function works when you log into wow. Then well move on to the rest of the code. to post a large chunk of code like that i use www.pastey.net if you want to go there and post your code and come back and post the link to it. very easy to use site.

edit - i would also remove the word release from the version entry. although that should work and will display in places as you intended it to... for other things you may do later it is a better practice to use only numbers and decimals there. Should you later decide to use that version number for some reason it will be easier to compare it to another value or string if it is all numerical.

another edit - if you are deadset on having the version mark release/alpha/beta i would use just a single letter r/a/b. Again for easier comparison later.

GrimUI
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Grimsin : 03-15-11 at 10:25 AM.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Personal Addon Not Loading...