05-20-09, 02:55 PM   #1
wibby50
A Defias Bandit
Lightbulb Suggestion! O M G

<-- <-- <-- Enjoy him while a conjure up a suggestion~~~

Ok, I have Carbonite. It is an amazing addon, and i recommend it to all of my friends on WoW, but they say they can not find it on Curse. I have always thought of this, and why they don't put it on Curse! It is because you still want people to visit the donation page for it, correct? Well, my idea is that on every update, you lock up the addon's functionality until they put in a code that changes every update, and can only be found on the donation page.

05-20-09, 03:42 PM   #2
kraftman
A Theradrim Guardian
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=22889

05-21-09, 11:40 PM   #3
stormkeep
Drunken Dorf

Premium Member
Originally Posted by wibby50 View Post
Well, my idea is that on every update, you lock up the addon's functionality until they put in a code that changes every update, and can only be found on the donation page.
I think something like that would put-off people who might otherwise be inclined to donate...I know I'd find it annoying as h***.

Is it really that difficult to tell people to go to Wowinterface.com?

I have about half my addons from here and the other half from curse and it's not inconvenient at all managing it. I actually prefer wowinterface to curse, despite it not having an autoupdater because, imho, the layout and navigation of the site is better. I don't update any addons without reading change logs first. I also do not update addons without first backing up my account directory...so an auto-updater, in my opinion, is only a very small convenience considering all of the manual steps I have to perform anyway.

You may want to start telling your friends to check out wowinterface.com. Carbonite is not the only excellent addon that is not on curse. Most of my favorite addons, in fact, are only available here on WowInterface. Anyone who is restricting themselves to only what they can get from Curse is missing out on a lot of gems.

05-27-09, 06:46 PM   #4
Faldiin
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by wibby50 View Post
<-- <-- <-- Enjoy him while a conjure up a suggestion~~~

Ok, I have Carbonite. It is an amazing addon, and i recommend it to all of my friends on WoW, but they say they can not find it on Curse. I have always thought of this, and why they don't put it on Curse! It is because you still want people to visit the donation page for it, correct? Well, my idea is that on every update, you lock up the addon's functionality until they put in a code that changes every update, and can only be found on the donation page.

This would be an Violation of the EULA. This is why you can get it free. People did not want to pay for it and Blizz bent to there will.

Faldiin

05-27-09, 07:46 PM   #5
Spahut
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Originally Posted by Faldiin View Post
This would be an Violation of the EULA.
i don't think it would. But it would be annoying as heck, and since they don't want to put it on curse, well that's that.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Suggestion! O M G