05-29-09, 08:07 AM   #21
Faldiin
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Sepioth View Post

I just set up my game to run JUST Carbonite and Ark inventory (as well as a memory info addon) and I see NO issues with the game crashing. Memory starts at around 22mb and so far has peaked at 25 (and as low as 19). No where do I see it steadily climbing.

TBH if 100mb of addon usage is killing your game there may be a bigger problem. My normal UI runs at around 100-110 on a typical night.

Have you tried running any other games/programs that require a lot of system ram? See if they crash too. How much system ran do you have?

EDIT .. Been running for over 20 mins now and memory has yet to go much higher than 25mb
I have 4GB ram and 512 9600M GT VC. T9400 Intel Proc.
I am not sure why it is happening. I have rebuilt the addons again last night. Still getting the issue. I know of 3 people having the issue and we all have not been using the same addons except for these 2. When I get up to around 100 I start getting Memory reallocation errors in Bug Grabber. From there the UI freezes. I can type still for about a min. Then the game will crash. If I type /reload, I have a 50/50 chance the game wont crash.

Faldiin

Last edited by Faldiin : 05-29-09 at 08:23 AM.

05-29-09, 10:35 AM   #22
kawye
A Defias Bandit
Memory Leak

Silenia, i can assure you that you can have memory Leaks using LUA. If the code is done properly it shouldn't, but it can still happen as it can happen in almost any programing language.
Im not an expert on LUA but i saw some addons with insane memory leaks like QuestHelper some months ago (before i changed to carbonite) and even the developers said that it was a memory leak.

EDIT: i know LUA has a garbage collector, it can still leak, like Java, C#, Objective-C and some others can leak too even if they have a garbage collector.

Java was supposed to not have memory leaks too, but it can: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/j-leaks/

Last edited by kawye : 05-29-09 at 10:56 AM.

05-29-09, 12:20 PM   #23
sigg
Featured Artist

Featured
In fact there are identified Blizzard function who generate Memory Leak. The most known is the function CreateFrame.

You can create some Frames, but what ever happen, thoses frames will never be taken by the garbage collector. This is the reason why many developers ask you to do a reloadUI, to clear your memory of these unused objects.

But a frame object is very small, in your case you are talking about 100Mo. I don't think it is a memory leak, but more a memory bloat. the best example is filling a table with some objects and you never empty that table. The garbage collector wil not empty your table.

Sigg

Tips: In RDX, we have created the concept of pool objects. the pool grow with many frame inside and you are using a function to acquire an object and a second function to release the object in the pool. By doing that, we are controlling this memory leak.

to acquire :
local myframe = VFLUI.AcquireFrame("Frame");

to release :
myframe:Destroy();

Last edited by sigg : 05-29-09 at 12:28 PM.

05-29-09, 12:32 PM   #24
Faldiin
A Fallenroot Satyr
Here is one of the errors I am getting. I am pasting this from Bug Grabber. This is when I am at 110 MB this time. I have multiple addons showing this error.

[2009/05/29 14:27:09-865-x2]: memory allocation error: block too big:
<in C code>: ?
Skinner-b2.9901.5\Skinner.lua:872: in function `glazeStatusBar'
Skinner-b2.9901.5\UIElements1.lua:59: in function <Interface\AddOns\Skinner\UIElements1.lua:56>
(tail call): ?:
<in C code>: in function `SetText'
Titan-4.2.2.30100\TitanTooltip.lua:30: in function `TitanTooltip_SetGameTooltip'
Titan-4.2.2.30100\TitanTooltip.lua:58: in function `TitanTooltip_SetPanelTooltip'
Titan-4.2.2.30100\TitanPanelTemplate.lua:423: in function `TitanPanelButton_SetTooltip'
Titan-4.2.2.30100\TitanPanelTemplate.lua:207: in function `TitanPanelButton_OnEnter'
<string>:"*:OnEnter":1: in function <[string "*:OnEnter"]:1>

---

[2009/05/29 14:27:10-865-x7]: memory allocation error: block too big:
Skinner-b2.9901.5\UIElements1.lua:59: in function <Interface\AddOns\Skinner\UIElements1.lua:56>
<in C code>: in function `Show'
Titan-4.2.2.30100\LDBToTitan.lua:140: in function `TitanLDBSetTooltip'
Titan-4.2.2.30100\LDBToTitan.lua:196: in function <Interface\AddOns\Titan\LDBToTitan.lua:194>

---

[2009/05/29 14:27:17-865-x9]: memory allocation error: block too big:
<in C code>: in function `GetRegions'
CowTip-r68121\Appearance\Appearance.lua:423: in function `SetFont'
CowTip-r68121\Appearance\Appearance.lua:304: in function <Interface\AddOns\CowTip\Appearance\Appearance.lua:299>
<in C code>: in function `SetInventoryItem'
TitanRepair-4.2.2.30100\TitanRepair.lua:613: in function `TitanRepair_GetStatus'
TitanRepair-4.2.2.30100\TitanRepair.lua:548: in function `TitanRepair_GetEquipedInformation'
TitanRepair-4.2.2.30100\TitanRepair.lua:356: in function `TitanPanelRepairButton_OnUpdate'
<string>:"*:OnUpdate":1: in function <[string "*:OnUpdate"]:1>

---

[2009/05/29 14:27:36-865-x11]: memory allocation error: block too big:
<in C code>: in function `Show'
XPerl-3.0.3c\XPerl_Usage.lua:70: in function `TooltipInfo'
XPerl-3.0.3c\XPerl_Usage.lua:37: in function <Interface\AddOns\XPerl\XPerl_Usage.lua:32>
Clique-SVN\Clique.lua:104: in function `OnTooltipSetUnit'
CowTip-r68121\CowTip.lua:248: in function <Interface\AddOns\CowTip\CowTip.lua:246>
<in C code>: in function `SetUnit'
XPerl-3.0.3c\XPerl.lua:1279: in function `XPerl_PlayerTip'
XPerl-3.0.3c\XPerl.lua:3151: in function <Interface\AddOns\XPerl\XPerl.lua:3150>

---

05-29-09, 01:28 PM   #25
Roxxe
A Kobold Labourer

I'm running both Ark Inventory and Carbonite. I have had no issues with the two working at the same time....thus far!

05-29-09, 02:03 PM   #26
Vyper
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by sigg View Post
You can create some Frames, but what ever happen, thoses frames will never be taken by the garbage collector. This is the reason why many developers ask you to do a reloadUI, to clear your memory of these unused objects.
Just a note: while undoubtedly a bug, and even the strict definition of a memory leak (assuming World of Warcraft doesn't maintain a reference to the frame), it's actually not a Lua leak. That frame is owned by the C++(I'm assuming it was C++ at any rate) which WoW was programmed in, with an interface provided to Lua. Because Lua doesn't own it, it's not eligible for garbage collection.
You run into similar confusing when working with JNI to pass data between Java and C. Any object that was allocated in C can't be garbage collected and must be freed, whereas you had better not try to free an object that was originally allocated in Java.

Sorry folks, I know this has gone way off topic.

05-29-09, 03:57 PM   #27
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Can we seriosly stop talking about leaks .. I really have to pee now.

Let's try to help Faldiin instead of arguing about stupid things.

Have you tried running JUST Carbonite and Ark?? If not try that. See if the bug goes away.

Also I notice Skinner was in the error log. Usually the first addon in the list is usually where the underlining problem really lies. It may be that skinner is doing something that when Carb and Ark are running together they do not like.

Try updating Skinner or at least temporarily disabling it while you play for a while.

05-29-09, 11:11 PM   #28
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

Originally Posted by Faldiin View Post
CowTip-r68121\Appearance\Appearance.lua:423: in function `SetFont'
O_O

Cow tip version r68121 is from April 2008 O_O

http://www.wowace.com/projects/cowti...ow-tip-r68121/

Latest version is :

http://www.wowace.com/projects/cowtip/files/861-r47/

The latest version should have a change log file of "Changelog-CowTip-r47.txt" inside it
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)

05-30-09, 12:10 AM   #29
Faldiin
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by stormkeep View Post
so I replaced it with Combuctor a week ago and haven't looked back.
Thank you for this. This is a great little program.

Faldiin

05-30-09, 12:13 AM   #30
Faldiin
A Fallenroot Satyr

Have you tried running JUST Carbonite and Ark?? If not try that. See if the bug goes away.
I have tried this and the error has stopped. I ran it will Titan Panel so I could see my memory usage.

Also I notice Skinner was in the error log. Usually the first addon in the list is usually where the underlining problem really lies. It may be that skinner is doing something that when Carb and Ark are running together they do not like.

Try updating Skinner or at least temporarily disabling it while you play for a while.
I disabled this and I am still getting the error. I left everything else on so that I would not mess up the test. According to Curse this is the most up to date release.

Faldiin

05-30-09, 12:16 AM   #31
Faldiin
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by honem View Post
O_O

Cow tip version r68121 is from April 2008 O_O

http://www.wowace.com/projects/cowti...ow-tip-r68121/

Latest version is :

http://www.wowace.com/projects/cowtip/files/861-r47/

The latest version should have a change log file of "Changelog-CowTip-r47.txt" inside it
As far as Cow Tip. The Curse which is where they were posting the most updated item and not showing that update. I will disable it and see if this is causing the issue. I only posted 4 of the 11 errors since that was all i could get before the game crashed.

Faldiin

05-30-09, 03:49 PM   #32
Unbelievable
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

While I have lots of respect for Bug Grabber, it might be worth trying an alternative debugger and seeing if that helps or at least provides more information.

I'd recommend trying !Swatter. It usually comes with Auctioneer and Gatherer. Download the latest stable gatherer from http://gathereraddon.com/dl/ and drag just the !Swatter folder into interface\addons from the archive.

Disable Bug Grabber and see how you get on.

05-31-09, 11:47 AM   #33
Spahut
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Leak .. Bloat .. whatever you want to call it .. stop being a bunch of two year olds and maybe try to fix the issue and stop the bickering or I'll have to put the two of you in the naughty corner.

Whatever you call it ... it is a problem and needs to be fixed.

And with that attitude they are most likely to just ignore you. They don't owe you anything. Especially now where they can't even charge for it anymore. They do this in their free time, and you being arrogant about it is not likely to help your cause.

05-31-09, 11:52 AM   #34
Spahut
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Originally Posted by kawye View Post
Silenia, i can assure you that you can have memory Leaks using LUA.
Don't forget this is a sandbox lua, you can't allocate memory from addons.

05-31-09, 12:01 PM   #35
Spahut
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Intersting, an old thread on the forums about this memory leak, seem to blame cowtip

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...jd9IUxBwreA04V

05-31-09, 12:28 PM   #36
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

http://forums.wowace.com/showpost.ph...70&postcount=5

05-31-09, 12:36 PM   #37
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Originally Posted by Spahut View Post
And with that attitude they are most likely to just ignore you. They don't owe you anything. Especially now where they can't even charge for it anymore. They do this in their free time, and you being arrogant about it is not likely to help your cause.
You COMPLETLY took my comment and went WAAAYY into left field with it.

My comment was not at the developers of Carbonite or Ark .. If you read all my posts in this thread not once do I talk bad about the addons. I actually have been tryinh to offer what little help i could with Faldiin's issue.

It was at the two years olds HERE that where arguing about the issue being a memory leak .. COMPLETELY taking the Faldiin's issue far off topic.

I was telling people to try and help Faldiin and stop bickering.

Last edited by Sepioth : 05-31-09 at 12:38 PM.

05-31-09, 12:50 PM   #38
Maul
Ion Engines, Engage!

I think most authors know what users mean when they say "memory leak". It is technically true that there is no such thing. An addon can legitimately use an increasing amount of memory. That increase can be either "bloat", as some like to call it, or "muscle" that an addon needs to work as intended/desired.

Memory is like food to an addon. It can turn an addon into a 300lb couch potato or a 300lb powerlifter. It is determining if the increase in usage is a benefit or not. And reports like this help authors figure that out

Twitter: @IonMaul | Windows Live: [email protected] | Google Talk: [email protected]

05-31-09, 04:11 PM   #39
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

You guys have been busy...

Originally Posted by Vyper View Post
Key Difference:
Memory Leak: Program and Operating System do not have access to the memory
Memory Bloat: Program still has access, but doesn't need it any more.
This is true. Addons cannot technically leak memory, but they can allocate tables and never "free" them, which to an addon user looks like the same thing. When someone says an addon "Leaks Memory", I know what they mean. The distinction does not matter to a user.

I have done limited testing with ArkInventory about a year ago looking at a reported conflict. It actually worked fine back then when I tested the latest version. I don't recall any more problem reports with that addon until now.

05-31-09, 04:19 PM   #40
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Faldiin View Post
I have tried this and the error has stopped. I ran it will Titan Panel so I could see my memory usage.
If only using Carbonite and ArkInventory together does not create the error, then it is probably another addon.

You don't need another addon to check memory use. The tooltip from the Computer looking "Game Menu" button at the bottom of the screen shows total addon memory use and the top 3 addons using memory.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Memory Leak