06-09-19, 04:02 AM   #1
FranekW
A Cyclonian

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Change default pins on the World Map

I have just released an addon that shows some icons on the World Map for jewelcrafters. It's a module for HandyNotes. I realised that Blizzard also put pins at the same locations, which cover icons rendered by HandyNotes. Blizzard's pins are important because they indicate if players can still interact with Shrines and collect gems.

The first thing I thought would search to make custom pins rendered at the latest, after Blizzard. But it is difficult because I don't want to alter HandyNotes addon.

I also thought I could do two other things: change the Blizzard pin's properties e.g. make it transparent (if possible) and add a comment to game tooltip to let a player know Shrines are still ready to interact with. I cannot find out API for those things: both how to change icon and how to get info about profession. Any ideas? Thanks.
06-09-19, 05:13 AM   #2
elcius
A Cliff Giant
if you can determine which DataProvider the pin comes from (you can check by calling :GetPinTemplate() on the pin button), you'll be able to hook or modify the Mixin in some way to make icon or behaviour changes.
06-10-19, 04:34 AM   #3
FranekW
A Cyclonian

Thanks. I did not know Blizzard use Data Providers. I checked the link you have provided and found the same list of files on Townlong-yak. I found another list of objects and files on WoW.tools.

My problem is that I have no clue how to establish the name of the icon I am interested in. The websites, including your link, have no graphic representations. Is there somewhere any website that store icons that can be found by name or any list of all icons?
06-10-19, 05:31 AM   #4
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Please excuse me for interrupting, but, you might be able to use \fstack (or \framestack) to find out the name of the icon. Just type it in to chat, which will bring up a "tooltip" in one corner of the screen that will tell you what is under your cursor. Hover on the icon that you want the name of, and you should be good to go. Just type it again to stop it.

I really don't know if doing this will help you out or not. I haven't played WoW now for three years, but doing this used to get you the information you were looking for. However, I never used it to get a name for an icon on the map, so it might not work for you, but it's all I could think of.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

Last edited by jeffy162 : 06-10-19 at 05:41 AM.
06-10-19, 06:38 AM   #5
elcius
A Cliff Giant
just mouse over the pin and type "/dump GetMouseFocus().pinTemplate", then find that template file.
06-10-19, 03:05 PM   #6
FranekW
A Cyclonian

Thanks guys. I managed to identify that icon. Now I just need to figure out the way to hide it.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » Change default pins on the World Map