05-30-06, 08:00 AM   #1
Loomyth
A Fallenroot Satyr
good alternative to ct-raid assist?!

Hi dudes...first plz forgive for my bad english skills i'm from germany.

now to the topic( not sure if it should be placed in the normal mod forum maybe there is already such an addon):

since ct_raid assist wastes a lot of performance (-7fps + lags in my case) i'm looking for a good alternative to use it in my guild.

it should support
"maintank targets"
and should give the ability to send messages to the raid that pop up in the middle of the screen.
and a raid status(priest mana etc.) display.

maybe some other nice features but that are the most important one's for us.
it would also be nice if it would support the boss mods coded for ct raid assist because our guild is playing "high-end content" and we don't want to wait everytime till boss mods for other addons are released.

so infact we're looking for a not performance wastin lagfree ct raid assist ( like i said: does not have to have all the useless features )
greetz loomyth

ps: sry for my english again -_-
05-30-06, 08:39 AM   #2
Flarin
A Frostmaul Preserver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
oRa!

I use all of the "oRa" mods to replace CT_Raid. I have no complaints.

<oRa>
05-30-06, 08:43 AM   #3
wind82
An Aku'mai Servant
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Originally Posted by Loomyth
Hi dudes...first plz forgive for my bad english skills i'm from germany.

now to the topic( not sure if it should be placed in the normal mod forum maybe there is already such an addon):

since ct_raid assist wastes a lot of performance (-7fps + lags in my case) i'm looking for a good alternative to use it in my guild.

it should support
"maintank targets"
and should give the ability to send messages to the raid that pop up in the middle of the screen.
and a raid status(priest mana etc.) display.

maybe some other nice features but that are the most important one's for us.
it would also be nice if it would support the boss mods coded for ct raid assist because our guild is playing "high-end content" and we don't want to wait everytime till boss mods for other addons are released.

so infact we're looking for a not performance wastin lagfree ct raid assist ( like i said: does not have to have all the useless features )
greetz loomyth

ps: sry for my english again -_-
Go download oRA... http://www.wowinterface.com/download...fo.php?id=4778 and look at the addon modules that you can get to it... then combine oRA with Easyraid http://www.wowinterface.com/download...fo.php?id=4810 and you should be golden as to CT_Raidassist Functions...

As for CT_BossMod there is an altrnative called BigWigs but I believe its still in beta so its not released to the public yet...

If you want you can go download my compilation http://www.wowinterface.com/download...fo.php?id=4705 and take the bigwigs addon from there ... also the oRA in that compilation is a beta so it might work better for your needs

Remember though that I didnt write any of the addons so dont ask me too much about fixing a specific bug

PS. I am updating the compilation as we speak.. so it might not be available atm
05-31-06, 03:08 PM   #4
Loomyth
A Fallenroot Satyr
tried oRA today..much better than ctra...thx 4 advice
05-31-06, 09:28 PM   #5
Duglum
A Murloc Raider
Well, this Post may not be very informative, but i just tested oRa with and without EasyRaid a bit and i would say it looks like it could become really good.

It may be usable in its current state if you only use it to reply to the Rest of the Group and need no Leading Functions or Group Displays, e.g. as a rogue. But as a Raidleader or Healer it is not acceptable. The unflexible Raidframes of EasyRaid and the non-existant UI of oRa are the main reason. I would say it may be fully usable in a few months.

Don't get me wrong, i love powerful commandline tools, but not in the middle of a Nefarian Fight.
Also the CTRA Group Display is way better, because oRa does not have one at all.
05-31-06, 09:37 PM   #6
Ratbert_CP
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
oRa is mainly a framework. It has a number of addons to provide specific functionality. You're right that it's missing large hunks of leadership functions, but I think there are projects in the works to address that.

The key is to remember that the raid leaders will probably still want to use the CT stuff, and the more specialized players (healers, etc) may need some extra stuff, but the rank and file of the raid will do just fine with the oRa stuff, and will feel less pain.

oRa is *not* a drop in replacement for CT_RA. It's an alternative for people who only need limited functionality to perform their role.

As usual, do as much research as you feel neccessary, and go with the best you can find that offers the ease, speed and functionality you need. Some folks will be fine with the full CT_RA package, some will want to run a minimal oRa setup, and I'm sure there are a few purists out there who refuse to use AddOns at all...
06-01-06, 03:36 PM   #7
Loomyth
A Fallenroot Satyr
just missin a raid status display :>
06-13-06, 08:07 AM   #8
Kyahx
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

For an alternative unit-frames you can use XRaid or PerfectRaid.

Also Moonsorrow is working on a status moniter for status moniter for Xraid (XRaidStatus : Beta) I don't believe you even need XRaid to run XRaidStatus.

Remember oRA isnt an all-in-one replacement for CTRA. It does the things that no other mod does (reply to ready checks, votes, resistance and durability checks, etc...) and leaves the decurseing, unit frames, etc... up to you. Giveing you the freedom of choice without bloat.
06-21-06, 07:14 AM   #9
smeltn
A Fallenroot Satyr

great discussion I was just wondering about this myself. I normally get 30-50 fps in game, but now I notice with CTRA I am getting 15 and less. I ran without it in MC and noticed my fps was back up to around 25+ .. So I would love to give these a try.

My question is will this work, if 90% of the raid still uses CT_Raid?

I see people are saying try oRa so I am going to give those a try, but the main thing I need is.. Main Tank targets, Raid Unit Frames, the ability to see Raid Chat and would love to see Raid Status.. So all this is possible with oRa correct?

Last edited by smeltn : 06-21-06 at 07:21 AM.
06-21-06, 07:31 AM   #10
Hakker
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by smeltn
great discussion I was just wondering about this myself. I normally get 30-50 fps in game, but now I notice with CTRA I am getting 15 and less. I ran without it in MC and noticed my fps was back up to around 25+ .. So I would love to give these a try.

My question is will this work, if 90% of the raid still uses CT_Raid?

I see people are saying try oRa so I am going to give those a try, but the main thing I need is.. Main Tank targets, Raid Unit Frames, the ability to see Raid Chat and would love to see Raid Status.. So all this is possible with oRa correct?
oRa has an MT targets module yes
Raid Unitframes it doesn't have. Alternatives are mainly PerfectRaid, Xraid and Easyraid
Raid status can be seen with Xraid Raidstatus

imo raidstatus isn't really needed with PerfectRaid since that framework is so small you can see the raidstatus basically by that.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » good alternative to ct-raid assist?!