05-09-09, 05:34 PM   #21
Spahut
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Originally Posted by Silenia View Post
Having said that.... not quite sure how your analogy fits into the addon updater topic, but am curious to learn if you wish to explain.
I was explaining that in my reply to his message - if that is not clear, then there is no way i can make it clearer.

05-09-09, 05:40 PM   #22
Spahut
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Originally Posted by honem View Post
Actaully IMHO this support person is reading from a script. A truly great support person would be like

"Well there is a known problem with people who have ATI Radeon cards. It started occuring in version 3.8 of the drivers and ATI have put out an update to version 4.3 that is meant to fix the problem. Can you try updating to version 4.3 (sends link). If not we can try a roll back to version 3.8"
Never met such a beast

Thing is you ring support when there is a problem. Something's going wrong you want them to fix it.
Heh, I have learned from years of experience if something wrong, I will have to fix it - or it won't get fixed.

If your UI isn't broken and isn't causing your any problems then you should be able to afford not to update for a while.

That's what I'm getting at here - the state your UI is in should be the major factor on how often you update.
Yes, that is what I agreed with fataal about. I have addons years old, which seem to do the trick.

Generally when there is a new patch (always a horror when there is a new patch because it might break addons which can't be updated), i test it all out on the ptr, and if something is not working i try and see if i can find a replacement.

But as you say, if its working then its working.

Of course. If one of your addons is causing a problem then you fix it. If your UI is spraying red errors on the screen then seeking updates in usaully a very good step you can take as often bugs are fixed in a later build.

But if you haven't changed anything on your UI and everything's working fine then you should not have to update at all.[/quote]

05-09-09, 09:05 PM   #23
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Spahut View Post
Never met such a beast
He he made up example is made up.

That was a random example of what good tech support person might say. A good support person listens to what a person says and would already have some idea on how to fix it from the symptoms . Your example was of a call desk person who works off a script I believe.

And Um... I think the last part of your post wasn't finished. Waiting with bated breath on your response.
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)

Last edited by Bluspacecow : 05-10-09 at 01:47 AM.

05-10-09, 12:25 AM   #24
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
As has been mentioned in other threads where this analogy is made (tech support telling people to update stuff), it actually supports the notion that if you aren't having problems, then don't worry about it. If you know you are having issues/bugs with something, *then* get the latest versions to see if it fixes things *before* reporting it.

But also, as Silenia pointed out, addons cannot cause harm to your computer, etc if they do bug out anyway. Kind of apples to oranges.
The reason, I feel, that the analogy doesn't fit is if your speaking to tech support, then you obviously went there because you have an issue or are getting errors. No issues or errors, you never see tech support.

05-10-09, 12:55 AM   #25
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I was explaining that in my reply to his message - if that is not clear, then there is no way i can make it clearer.

I was sincere and I asked a question. No need to be mean.

05-14-09, 02:57 PM   #26
techsgtchen
A Theradrim Guardian

Lightbulb

Thank you for authoring and maintaining this addon. I enjoy using this addon a great deal. Please allow WoWMatrix to distribute this addon as well. I feel that I understand some of the conflicts of the past; Yet, I think you might be pleasantly surprised with how their program works now. I feel that the issues of the past might be irrelevant now. Though for the record I do think that WoWI and Curse.com were justified in their misgivings, I feel that the method they employed is unethical and immoral.

05-14-09, 03:27 PM   #27
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by techsgtchen View Post
Please allow WoWMatrix to distribute this addon as well.

05-14-09, 03:29 PM   #28
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
/me is very carefully not saying anything right now ......

05-14-09, 03:42 PM   #29
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

We are currently hosting Carbonite downloads on Wowinterface. Not Curse. Not wowmatrix. When the Wowinterface addon updater is good to go, then that can be used to update it. We do not consider it a great burden having to run the Wowinterface updater one time to grab a new Carbonite version when a person sees a new version message in game.

05-19-09, 08:27 AM   #30
sondus
A Defias Bandit
It wouldn't be so bad...

if WoWInterface didn't suck so hard. This site is just very poorly setup, programmed and run. Then, most people say simply "stop being lazy and update one addon". But WoWMatrix, unlike WoWInterface, was made to help GAMERS not themselves. One easy download and update of ALL your addons at one time. WoWInterface and Curse simply don't give a crap about users, just their bottom line and refuse to work with WoWMatrix even though WoWMatrix offered to help pay for their bandwidth.

I've switched from Carbonite simply because they refuse to use WoWMatrix.

I was a subscriber but will not donate any money whatsoever in the future because like WoWMatrix, Carbonite writers only care about themselves and not the gaming community.

05-19-09, 09:17 AM   #31
florinpatan
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Thumbs up Bye bye

Originally Posted by sondus View Post
I was a subscriber but will not donate any money whatsoever in the future because like WoWMatrix, Carbonite writers only care about themselves and not the gaming community.
Now you aren't anymore... Bye bye, have a nice trip (btw you should do yourself and install a REAL antivirus before using wowmatrix). I hope they will steal your account faster to get rid of you from WoW as well if you bother to play on Blizzards servers..

And next time read what you are posting ffs
because like WoWMatrix, Carbonite writers only care about themselves
And some moderator / admin could please close all these threads about wowmatrix?

Last edited by florinpatan : 05-19-09 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Added question for moderators/admins

05-19-09, 09:43 AM   #32
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

if WoWInterface didn't suck so hard. This site is just very poorly setup, programmed and run.
Um... wot ?

It's setup quite nicely for both addon users and addon authors alike. One of the easiest used sites for addons I know. it's also stayed up a lot better then other addon sites on patch day which says something for how it's set up.

One easy download and update of ALL your addons
at one time.
At what cost ? And do you need to ?

WoWInterface and Curse simply don't give a crap about users, just their bottom line and refuse to work with WoWMatrix even though WoWMatrix offered to help pay for their bandwidth.
Here's a clue for you buddy boy : Wowmatrix are lying to you. Curse and Wowinterface have always tried to work with the addon users and the addon authors. They had posts up refuting the line wowmatrix are trying to feed you before wowmatrix even posted that FAQ. In fact they had posts refuting it up in October 2008 if you cared to look.

I've switched from Carbonite simply because they refuse to use WoWMatrix.
Because it's soooo hard to update 1 addon when you get an in game message about it. Right.

Of course this would be why they willing cut their paid subscriber model and put these forums up where you can speak directly to the developers of the mod. Damn bastards.
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)

05-19-09, 05:21 PM   #33
whyzerman
A Defias Bandit
While I would "like" to see Carbonite support clients like the curse client or WoWMatrix, I completely understand the concerns the devs have regarding support. The addon they have built here is outstanding, and deserves donations. If I had the money for it, I would donate. If I knew anything about the WoW API, I would offer my services free of charge to help maintain this addon. Since I can't do either of these things, I can suffer through 1 manual update, and you should as well.

Those of you saying "I am switching to QuestHelper, this is BS!", good luck. I had multiple UI errors running QuestHelper, it used 10 times the amount of RAM Carbonite does, and it's interface was far from aesthetic. I replaced it with Carbonite and have not been disappointed yet. I will not whine, moan and complain that they want donations, or want us to update manually for taking time out of their game play to make ours easier, and shame on anyone who does.

So if you are going to switch to QuestHelper, by all means, do so. I can only assume that in a week or less you will be back to using Carbonite.

To the Carbonite Devs: Excellent mod, probably the best and most useful mod I have seen ingame. Kudos. I only request you add a comments view (something like Lightheaded) for either WoWHead or some other site that allows comments on quests. If I had that I wouldn't ever need another quest addon.

05-19-09, 08:11 PM   #34
xorion73x
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by carboniteaddon View Post
We are currently hosting Carbonite downloads on Wowinterface. Not Curse. Not wowmatrix. When the Wowinterface addon updater is good to go, then that can be used to update it. We do not consider it a great burden having to run the Wowinterface updater one time to grab a new Carbonite version when a person sees a new version message in game.
I can't wait to see the Minion at work =)

I don't mind running multiple updaters to be honest.. heck, if I could consolidate my mods onto one site cool... but there are just too many good ones out there. I just hope that Minion will co-exist with curse updater in a decent manner... not that they should have any reason to bicker as long as I run them separately.

Thanks again for the effort guys!!

05-20-09, 12:16 PM   #35
Spahut
A Cobalt Mageweaver
I was sincere and I asked a question. No need to be mean.
Well since you put it that way. I didn't think I was mean. But it wasn't an analogy, it was a witticism intended as an aside from my stated opinion (in that post) that most people get reared with the notion that they must update everything as often as possible - even though I think there is no need to update if everything works well as it is.

05-20-09, 02:55 PM   #36
EVmaker
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Well since you put it that way. I didn't think I was mean. But it wasn't an analogy, it was a witticism intended as an aside from my stated opinion (in that post) that most people get reared with the notion that they must update everything as often as possible - even though I think there is no need to update if everything works well as it is.
While I generally agree with that assessment, mod updates generally are good things to get, in mine for example, I generally only update either with bug fixes (always good to have) or new features, which for people that use one of them would probably find useful. So while yes, its perfectly feasible to stick with what you have if it works, it's also good to get updates. Although yes, definitely not in the 'must update every 20 minutes to one day' scenario that WoWMatrix and such seem to have put into peoples heads.

05-21-09, 10:28 AM   #37
OldHarry
Premium Member
Premium Member
Just update the mod manually when it needs to be updated. And if you have trouble doing so the kind people here will help you if you have trouble doing so. They can even help out an idiot like me.

05-23-09, 08:23 AM   #38
aera
A Murloc Raider

I usually don't post but this topic has me very disappointed.

It's not about whether or not we should/can/want to update our Addons manually or using a tool. Fact is that many of us very much deeply appreciate tools like WoWMatrix for managing our Addons and keeping them uptodate. For those who do it manually - good for you. We're not commenting on that. But, at least show some level of maturity, and try to understand that there are plenty of us who prefer the tools. Why do you feel that you need to judge us? We don't all *have* to play and use WoW the same way.

So please stop the teen "I update manually, you should too"-type statements and listen to your paying "customers".

05-23-09, 08:33 AM   #39
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by aera View Post
I usually don't post but this topic has me very disappointed.

It's not about whether or not we should/can/want to update our Addons manually or using a tool. Fact is that many of us very much deeply appreciate tools like WoWMatrix for managing our Addons and keeping them uptodate. For those who do it manually - good for you. We're not commenting on that. But, at least show some level of maturity, and try to understand that there are plenty of us who prefer the tools. Why do you feel that you need to judge us? We don't all *have* to play and use WoW the same way.

So please stop the teen "I update manually, you should too"-type statements and listen to your paying "customers".

For the most part it's not about using tools to update your addons. It's about one updater in particular. At one point there was only that one updater tool that was easy to use and a ton of people used it. Now they can't, and the only options that remain are 1: doing it manually or 2: using the Curse client and/or the Minion when it becomes available.

There are no "customers" here at WoWI. Only those who've made donations. A donation makes you a voluntary contributor, not a customer

05-25-09, 06:17 AM   #40
Kymeerah
A Kobold Labourer
Having read through this thread with the initial intention of asking Carbonite to allow autoupdate via WoWMatrix, I have been compelled to re-evaluate my intention, and no longer will do so - at least for this particular addon. Carbonite is well-written, useful, and well worthy of donating to. Any problems that I have with it conflicting with other addons can usually be resolved by checking/unchecking an option in the extensive configuration panel. Kudos indeed! Some points for consideration, then:

Many people, myself included, run not just one or two or even 10 addons, but a hundred or more. While undoubtedly some people will throw their hands up in horror at this, I'll mention that this is an addon site. If you want to play the game raw, or lean, then that's fine... but some don't - and that's fine too. I use every single one of them, at one point or another.
This makes manual updates a genuinely time-consuming process, raises the probability of conflicts - which can take more time to track down - and therefore also increases the frequency at which you might want to pick up updates, since the bug you're suffering from might have been fixed yesterday. WoWMatrix is a highly useful tool that compresses my updating time from an hour (or more) into 30 seconds-5 minutes, and I can do it every day without impacting my free time to any significant extent.

As I mentioned, though, I shan't be asking the Carbonite team to include their addon on WoWMatrix. The single reason for this is that *Carbonite tells you when it needs an update.* Consequently, I can update from here when that happens, manually, and both they and I are happy.

James

Postscript:
I spotted something that may not be quite true above, and is also relevant to this topic -
the only options that remain are 1: doing it manually or 2: using the Curse client and/or the Minion when it becomes available.
As specified here (www . wowmatrix . com/faq/site-updates.html), WoWMatrix provides a third option: they are now hosting addons via their own servers. Personally, I would love to see this there. But I'm not going to press for it, for that single reason I mentioned above.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Carbonite, Curse, Wow Matrix and keeping upto date