02-23-10, 03:11 PM   #1
ricks322
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
How often do you Make a new UI?

I was reading the thread about how to start a new UI. And I was thinking just how often do people start making a new UI? I don't mean updating, or adding a new addon, I do that.

But how many times do people start from scratch and make a new one?
02-23-10, 03:29 PM   #2
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Myself, I switch three or four times a year generally. I like to tinker and I am a creative type so I am always experimenting. I recently dug up a bunch of my old UIs and posted the screenshots over at WoW UI Gallery http://www.wowuigallery.com/profile/zyonin

Last edited by Zyonin : 02-23-10 at 03:32 PM.
02-23-10, 03:45 PM   #3
Neef
A Cliff Giant

From scratch? About the same, maybe 3 times a year.
I tend to have a general Idea in my head of what I want and what major addons I will use about two weeks before I start cleaning house.

To be honest, I'm at that process right now.

Last edited by Neef : 02-23-10 at 03:49 PM.
02-23-10, 04:15 PM   #4
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
From scratch (totally removing the old Interface and WTF folders) about 2 times a year. Generally, I'll just fiddle, though. The look of my UI changes much more often than that. I've also been gradually uploading my UIs at the site Zyonin linked above.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

02-23-10, 04:21 PM   #5
v6o
An Onyxian Warder
Since I really started to make my own stuff I've basically kept the same and just improved it. It might eventually look a bit different from when I started but I still have the same basic idea, the less, the better. I wouldn't ditching something that works.

If you need to contact me, do so on Twitter @v6ooo

Best regards, v6.

Last edited by v6o : 02-23-10 at 04:56 PM.
02-23-10, 05:44 PM   #6
Liarsenic
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Oh man, I'm kinda intimidated to post among the addon greats, but I tinker continuously like Seerah said, I can never really stay content with one UI. The only thing I've remained consistent on is the UI I'm currently running with(shameless self promotion inc)that I uploaded to wowi. Even then, I'm changing mods daily, and tweaking things here and there.
03-06-10, 07:44 AM   #7
septor
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
How often do you Make a new UI?
Too often.
03-06-10, 08:49 AM   #8
Toran
A Nerdscale Dorkin

Premium Member
I think I need UI therapy. Then again, I have gotten better and don't fiddle to much lately. Usually modify my existing layout about 5 times a year.
03-06-10, 09:55 AM   #9
CobraA1
A Cliff Giant

I generally do it on a need-driven basis. For a very long time, my UI was basically Blizzard + a few addons. Today, only the unit frames haven't really changed.

Problem is, there's so many spells and inventory items in WoW that it's a bit crazy trying to manage all of them. That's probably the #1 reason I had to go away from the default bars and find better ways of managing my UI.

Especially when I started playing a mage, I pretty much had to find better ways of doing things.

Can't have all of my teleport, portal spells, and various foods and drinks using up my UI, but have to access them quickly, so I grabbed OPie and AutoBar.

There's still a lot of spells, so grabbed Bartender (which actually replaces Macaroon, an addon that turned out to not get many updates and was too complex to configure).

But all of my stuff essentially started getting in the way of my 3D window, so I grabbed Sunn - Viewport Art, which has the ability to resize the 3D window.

There's also a balance of information vs simplicity. I do like to keep things simple and try not to install too much - but then again, as a mage my DPS is very important, so I have Recount and some other addon that displays the DPS on my spell buttons (forget the name). So some information is very important and gets added, but I still try to keep it simple.

Every once in a while, I go through the list of addons, deleting what I don't need or what isn't really that useful. I always end up getting rid of the "information bar" addons because there's surprisingly little amount of information I want available at all times - I very much prefer information that is available when I'm using it, and hidden when not using it.

It's a work in progress, and is still a work in progress. I may do major changes every once in a while, but for the most part it changes slowly rather than quickly.
03-09-10, 07:41 AM   #10
sestren
A Defias Bandit
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Before my current UI, probably about twice a month. Now that I'm actually maintaining a compilation that other people use, I figure it would be best to stick with what I've got. I have been using my current setup for 5-6 months.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » General WoW Chat » How often do you Make a new UI?