08-18-05, 08:25 PM   #1
Syxx
An Onyxian Warder

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Neat stuff!

Some pretty neat stuf seems to be coming with the next patch that is now on Test.

Full patch notes

Here is a couple excerpts from some stuff I thought was cool. Hopegully it'll all make it into the game.

• You can create the directory Interface\Icons, and any 32x32 .blp or .tga files you put in there will be available in the icon list for your macros.
  • If you add the following line to your addon's .toc file, it will not be loaded at the normal load time, it will instead be dynamically loaded upon request:

## LoadOnDemand: 1

You can query to see if an addon is loaded by using the new IsAddOnLoaded("addonname") function, and you can load an addon dynamically using the LoadAddOn("addonname") function. This function returns true if the addon is loaded successfully, and can be safely and efficiently called even if the addon is already loaded.

For your convenience, the function UIParentLoadAddOn("addonname") is provided which will attempt to load the addon and pop up an error message if it failed to load for any reason.

Once an addon is loaded, the ADDON_LOADED event is sent, with arg1 set to the name of the addon. An addon can listen for that event, and when it recieves that event with it's own name, it can safely access its saved variables.

An important thing to note is that when an addon is loaded dynamically, it doesn't have access to any of the virtual frame templates that are defined by FrameXML, including font definitions.
Nifty! Load on demand. Interesting, can't wait to see this in action.

08-18-05, 10:09 PM   #2
Gello
A Molten Giant
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
One nice use for that will be documentation. Complex mods could have a help system load on demand, so that users aren't carrying around the baggage until they request it.

Someone with more time than me should make a library library! It would convert html-like text (similar to the storyline from eq) and perhaps graphics that you can flip through via links. It'd be challenging to get a clickable element placed among a field of text, but in theory it'd be doable. Then I can curb my tooltip-everything compulsion lol. There are over 200 tooltips in Recap it's sad.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Neat stuff!