08-30-19, 04:16 PM   #1
TheViceroy
A Defias Bandit
AddOn for "Auto move" into range?

For starters, I haven't played WoW since like 2008.

I remember that back in the day when I last played, there was an option of some kind so that if I tried to cast, loot, or interact with a target that was out of range, instead of just saying "Out of Range" and doing nothing, my character would automatically walk towards the target until they entered the very edge of it's interact/target range, and then stop moving and perform the action.

As a caster class, this is be super useful, but also useful to all classes to click on a dead mob to run up and loot them all in one action, or to click on a quest giver NPC that's a fair distance away and auto run over to them and open up the Quest UI window when within interaction range.

My muscle memory is reminding me that I had something like this, and I can't for the life of me remember if this was an AddOn or a built in feature that I can't figure out how to toggle on or use.
It could just be something stupid easy like I hold down control as I click or something and I'm forgetting what the built-in key binding is for it.

Any thoughts?
08-30-19, 06:56 PM   #2
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
That has never been possible, at least not with a third party hack of the game. There is no such thing as "automation" in the game scripts.
08-30-19, 07:00 PM   #3
Kanegasi
A Molten Giant

If it was an addon, it is definitely not possible now. Classic is a fork of retail. The engine, macros, and vast majority of the API are the same.

I think what you're looking for may be the "click-to-move" option in the Interface Options, which when used on objects or interactive NPCs, your character moves to them then interacts. I don't recall it working on spells, but I believe it does run up to an enemy to begin auto attacking.
08-30-19, 07:22 PM   #4
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Click-to-move does this for interacting with what you click on. As for casting, other games have a way of doing this. WoW never did and there's no legal way to make it do so.
08-31-19, 01:31 AM   #5
TheViceroy
A Defias Bandit
I think the "Click to Move" option is what I am thinking of.
And agreed on the "automation is no longer possible" replies. It is interesting because on the surface level this tries to present as "Classic WoW", but it's really not in a lot of ways under the hood. Not that most people care, as they are here for the content, but still interesting nonetheless.

I do recall that even back when I was playing heavily during the 2005-2007 range, they put the smack down on lots of automated AddOns that blurred the line between AddOns and "bots". (RIP AutoTravel).

I'll give Click-to-move a try and see if it is what I was thinking of. I must have missed that in the Options settings (easy to do as there are LOTS to comb through). And I could very much be on crack remembering this working with casting ranged spells. It was a good while ago when I last played...

Thanks everyone.
08-31-19, 07:56 AM   #6
MunkDev
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Don't listen to these chumps. There's a binding called INTERACTTARGET or INTERACTMOUSEOVER or some such that does this, not sure whether click-to-move is necessary, but you can write a tiny addon that flips it on through the cvar if, say, your target or mouseover is a friendly NPC. Anyway, should be under targeting keybinds somewhere.
The automatic walking to get in range for a spell cast is not a thing though.

Last edited by MunkDev : 08-31-19 at 07:59 AM.
08-31-19, 02:01 PM   #7
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

The INTERACT* bindings activate the right-click action on a unit. If Click-to-Move is active, it's used as normal to get closer. If it's disabled, it spits out the same errors and does nothing.

Last edited by SDPhantom : 08-31-19 at 02:05 PM.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » AddOn for "Auto move" into range?