10-27-12, 08:58 AM   #1
Sharparam
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Improve COMBAT_LOG_EVENT* sub-events

Currently, CLE(U) has two events for when something dies: UNIT_DIED and PARTY_KILL.

UNIT_DIED contains info about *what* died (name/guid). It doesn't say *who* killed it or whether or not it was tapped by the player or their group.

PARTY_KILL only fires for kills made by the players *party* (sub-group in raids). It doesn't fire if someone outside of the player's sub-group kills something in a raid.

How are we supposed to detect raid kills? A RAID_KILL event should be added (or GROUP_KILL, following Blizzard's recent tendency to add *Group* API functions), firing for kills made by other raid members (meaning the mob is tapped by the current group).

Currently I see no way that is 100% failsafe to check if a killed mob was tapped by the player or group.
10-27-12, 06:06 PM   #2
Phanx
Cat.

Well, if you're in a raid instance, it's pretty safe to assume that everyone you see in the combat log related to the raid boss is in your raid and has the boss tapped.

If you're talking about worldbosses, it's trivial to determine whether someone is in your raid, and also trivial to determine if you have the boss tapped as long as you've targeted it once, since tapping rights do not change mid-fight unless everyone in the group leaves combat or dies and releases.

I do agree, however, that your proposal for a GROUP_KILL event makes sense.
10-28-12, 09:33 PM   #3
Sharparam
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
Well, if you're in a raid instance, it's pretty safe to assume that everyone you see in the combat log related to the raid boss is in your raid and has the boss tapped.

If you're talking about worldbosses, it's trivial to determine whether someone is in your raid, and also trivial to determine if you have the boss tapped as long as you've targeted it once, since tapping rights do not change mid-fight unless everyone in the group leaves combat or dies and releases.

I do agree, however, that your proposal for a GROUP_KILL event makes sense.
It is trivial to determina if something is tapped with UnitIsTappedByPlayer(unit).

The problem is that you need a valid unit for that.

As a healer, I rarely have mobs targeted, and would have to rely on party/raid*target for checking.
But no unit name would provide a 100% reliable way to check if a certain mob GUID has been tapped by the player or their group. It assumes that the mob has been targeted at some point during its lifetime, that's not always true in the case of AoE.
10-28-12, 10:54 PM   #4
Phanx
Cat.

That's true, but I'd have to argue that no mob so insignificant that it's killed entirely by AOE without anyone in your raid ever targeting it is also so insignificant that it doesn't matter who killed it. Also, unless you're doing a world boss, you are in an instance, where everything that dies after taking damage from someone in your group is guaranteed to be tapped by your group.
10-29-12, 10:14 AM   #5
Sharparam
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Well I'm tracking *everything* that dies (literally, everything), for KillTrack. So nothing is too insignificant :P

The fallback I have at the moment is to store whoever first did damage to a mob, because it will most likely be the person who tagged it. (Even if you stumble upon a mob that was already engaged in combat, it's more likely that the person currently fighting it will land a hit before you get to it)

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Wish List » Improve COMBAT_LOG_EVENT* sub-events