02-23-12, 04:03 AM   #1
confuciusdragon
A Defias Bandit
Looking For a new UF mod

The other day I had an idea for a UI that has persisted in my head for a few days now, but I haven't been able to find any addons that allow me to get the UF to look the way I want it to. I want to have my health bar and my targets health bar set up in a 2D-Fighter sort of display (with the health bars shrinking into the middle), and have them separated with a 3D portrait of my target in the middle. Now, if I were to be able to have whatever I want in a ui design, I would like to have the target's portrait enlarged (in comparison with the unit frames beside it) and have the portrait circular with the health bars shrinking into it. This would require the ability to modify the shape of my unit frame's health bar and mana bar (as the top of the bar would be meeting the portrait at a shorter distance and the bottom would be meeting the portrait further along).

As this is a rather specific vision, I am willing to modify the code myself to "tweak the settings" should I have to. I am aware PitBull is able to meet my vision for the most part, but I have heard that it is rather heavyweight, in addition... I haven't been able to get it to look as I have described, though I have managed to get the look in a more rectangular format. Nevertheless, I am looking for another option to try and work with - or at the very least some help in customizing PitBull to get the desired end product.

Any help would be appreciated.
02-23-12, 04:19 AM   #2
Qupe
A Warpwood Thunder Caller

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Give STUF a try.

This should do everything you want. If you mean you'd like a more "true" fighter style you'd probably want bars that slope towards the end, in which case you'd need to use a custom image file for the bars.

If all you want is a lightweight, highly customizable UF addon that will let you make top/bottom bars different lengths, try out STUF. There isn't much I've ever wanted to accomplish that I couldn't with it.
02-23-12, 05:02 AM   #3
Aftermathhqt
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by confuciusdragon View Post
The other day I had an idea for a UI that has persisted in my head for a few days now, but I haven't been able to find any addons that allow me to get the UF to look the way I want it to. I want to have my health bar and my targets health bar set up in a 2D-Fighter sort of display (with the health bars shrinking into the middle), and have them separated with a 3D portrait of my target in the middle. Now, if I were to be able to have whatever I want in a ui design, I would like to have the target's portrait enlarged (in comparison with the unit frames beside it) and have the portrait circular with the health bars shrinking into it. This would require the ability to modify the shape of my unit frame's health bar and mana bar (as the top of the bar would be meeting the portrait at a shorter distance and the bottom would be meeting the portrait further along).

As this is a rather specific vision, I am willing to modify the code myself to "tweak the settings" should I have to. I am aware PitBull is able to meet my vision for the most part, but I have heard that it is rather heavyweight, in addition... I haven't been able to get it to look as I have described, though I have managed to get the look in a more rectangular format. Nevertheless, I am looking for another option to try and work with - or at the very least some help in customizing PitBull to get the desired end product.

Any help would be appreciated.

Try oUF its very nice and you can do alot
02-23-12, 06:00 AM   #4
confuciusdragon
A Defias Bandit
Been working with Stuf for a bit now. Here's where I'm at:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...312054559.jpg/

Obviously, this is still a ways away from where I want it. I am going to try out oUF before I start nagging on how to get it to look the way I want it to. However, I was curious what the bracketed code is to get the name of the unit's target. (i.e. Trying to get the name of the target's target in the text of the unit frame instead of having a whole separate frame for the unit) An example of the code I'm talking about - Text Pattern: [difficulty:level][difficulty:classification] [class_if_npc:creaturetype].

I plan to work with oUF in the morning.
02-23-12, 05:32 PM   #5
confuciusdragon
A Defias Bandit
Worked with oUF this morning, but I wasn't sold on it. Mostly due to having to hunt for extra addons to be able to accomplish what I want to with it. I play on a few different computers, and I do utilize the addon sync available with curse client, so... the fact that it's relatively unsupported by curse is a downside to it, and so far Stuf has been able to do what I need it to (though I'll admit it's an absolute pain to set up).

Anyway, my gf convinced me to modify my vision today as I was working on it - it's closer to how I would want it in the end now, but still a ways off.

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/399...2312171900.jpg

The dominant change is the minimap replacing the portrait, and making everything a little bit smaller. Player is on the top left, target top right, focus bottom left, focus target bottom right.

The concern now becomes in how to tweak this to make it match the initial vision. I'm still not sure how to add in the text for the ToT on the target panel - could use some help there. However, the main concern is certainly in the art department. So... I'm hoping to make the map circular, and have the frames touching the map - but not hidden by the map. To do this, I will need to have the "sloping" effect on the health bars that was aforementioned (like how the default ui bars shrink into the portrait). I'm also interested in making the bars fade out in opacity towards the end (for example - have the bar at 100% opacity until the 50% mark, then start fading out to a 40% opacity at the 100% mark - this would make the frames look a lot sleeker imo).

Aside from that, this is obviously in progress, and I'm open to critique to try and optimize the layout.

[EDIT]: I'm guessing I should probably ask this in a different forum at this point.

Last edited by confuciusdragon : 02-23-12 at 08:22 PM.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Looking For a new UF mod