12-09-09, 07:28 AM   #1
ricks322
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Too many Libs

First off I'm not sure this is the correct forum, so please excuse if not.

While tracking down a problem after the new patch
---------------
Date: 2009-12-08 23:06:57
ID: 1
Error occured in: Global
Count: 1
Message: ...nfig-3.0\AceConfigDialog-3.0\AceConfigDialog-3.0.lua line 1648:
attempt to call method 'IsVisible' (a nil value)
Debug:
[C]: IsVisible()
...nfig-3.0\AceConfigDialog-3.0\AceConfigDialog-3.0.lua:1648:
...nfig-3.0\AceConfigDialog-3.0\AceConfigDialog-3.0.lua:1641
--------------------
I started to look in AceConfigDialog and found that I have 17 copies of it in different addons. Ranging in dates from October 2008 to December 2009.

So my questions are:
WHICH one are the addons using?
Are multiple versions being loaded, thus wasting memory?

I have not been able to reproduce the problem and assume it has been fixed, but this has gotten me thinking there must be a better way.

Thanks in Advance......
12-09-09, 07:34 AM   #2
karmamuscle
A Cobalt Mageweaver

I am 99% sure that only the newest library is loaded.
12-09-09, 08:49 AM   #3
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Originally Posted by ckramme View Post
I am 99% sure that only the newest library is loaded.
Intially all of the library versions get loaded, however upon the first trash collection, duplicate versions get chucked out leaving you with only running one version of that particular lib. This is why upon log-in you will often see a rather high RAM usage however then it goes down shortly.

To the OP, those "extra" libs are not going to be an issue unless you are extremely tight for disc space or if you are looking to shave an extra few seconds off your log-in time. However if your character is standing Dalaran when you log-in those extra few seconds are not going to make any difference. In the case of disc space, if you are tight on space, you are better off cleaning out your browser's cache and your Recycling Bin/Trash Can as both of those take up far more space than your entire AddOns folder.

Last edited by Zyonin : 12-10-09 at 02:49 AM.
12-09-09, 10:17 AM   #4
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

Well you could try disembedded libraries but as the poster above points out the saving is negligible.

It also has the very real danger of you forgetting to update that version of the library
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)
12-09-09, 10:25 AM   #5
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Disembedded addons (meaning the libraries are installed as regular addons instead of embedded in the folders of the addons that need them) are **NOT** for regular users. Some libraries now aren't supposed to be installed as standalone.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

12-09-09, 11:25 AM   #6
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

*thwacks Bluspacecow*

BAD!

BAD!

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
12-09-09, 06:41 PM   #7
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

Originally Posted by Torhal View Post
*thwacks Bluspacecow*

BAD!

BAD!
*yelps piteously with tail between legs*
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)
12-09-09, 08:14 PM   #8
ricks322
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Thanks for all the answers. Hard drive space is not a problem, just wanted to make sure I was not wasting memory, or having problems with old/outdated lib being loaded.

One thing I have noticed in some addons is that they use things in the ACE3(2) lib expecting them to be installed without having them in their folders. This as you can expect can cause real problems.
12-10-09, 02:55 AM   #9
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Originally Posted by ricks322 View Post
Thanks for all the answers. Hard drive space is not a problem, just wanted to make sure I was not wasting memory, or having problems with old/outdated lib being loaded.

One thing I have noticed in some addons is that they use things in the ACE3(2) lib expecting them to be installed without having them in their folders. This as you can expect can cause real problems.
Ace2 and Ace3 are two different lib frameworks (they are both a group of related libs) thus some AddOns will use Ace2 and some will use Ace3. In general users should not be seeing Ace3 libs (unless you open that AddOn's folder) as they should be embedded in the AddOns that use them and most Ace3 framework based AddOns expect them to be embedded. Ace2 libs were also designed to be embedded however many users chose to disembed them for various reasons.

Some older cranky Ace2 based AddOns may work better with Ace2 disembedded (aka a stand alone installation). However if an Ace3 AddOn is expecting Ace3 to be disembedded then that AddOn's author needs to be slapped upside the head with a 5 kilo dead (and "well aged") carp as punishment for crappy coding. If an AddOn uses any of the Ace3 libs, then those libs should live inside that AddOn's folder.

Last edited by Zyonin : 12-10-09 at 02:57 AM.
12-10-09, 05:05 AM   #10
Rilgamon
Premium Member

Premium Member
While tracking down a problem after the new patch
---------------
Date: 2009-12-08 23:06:57
ID: 1
Error occured in: Global
Count: 1
Message: ...nfig-3.0\AceConfigDialog-3.0\AceConfigDialog-3.0.lua line 1648:
attempt to call method 'IsVisible' (a nil value)
Debug:
[C]: IsVisible()
...nfig-3.0\AceConfigDialog-3.0\AceConfigDialog-3.0.lua:1648:
...nfig-3.0\AceConfigDialog-3.0\AceConfigDialog-3.0.lua:1641
--------------------
Btw, this is fixed in Ace3 (r900) http://www.wowace.com/addons/ace3/files/
12-10-09, 05:56 AM   #11
ricks322
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Yes, the inital problem seams to have occured due to the new patch.
When the new patch came I removed some of the old (non 3.3) addons getting ready to install the new version.

This left an older version of the ACE3 lib installed, which caused the problem.

Just to note, the program that I clicked to open (in the blizzard UI addon config frame) did NOT have the ACE3 lib.
12-10-09, 08:17 AM   #12
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Yes, the inital problem seams to have occured due to the new patch.
When the new patch came I removed some of the old (non 3.3) addons getting ready to install the new version.

This left an older version of the ACE3 lib installed, which caused the problem.

Just to note, the program that I clicked to open (in the blizzard UI addon config frame) did NOT have the ACE3 lib.
You won't see the Ace3 libs when viewing via the UI AddOn Config Frame. The only time you actually see the libs is when you open your AddOn's folders using your OS's file manager (Explorer, Finder, Dolphin, Nautilus).
12-10-09, 08:54 AM   #13
ricks322
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Originally Posted by Zyonin View Post
You won't see the Ace3 libs when viewing via the UI AddOn Config Frame. The only time you actually see the libs is when you open your AddOn's folders using your OS's file manager (Explorer, Finder, Dolphin, Nautilus).
Sorry I wasn't clear, the addon did not have the lib in the addon's folder. I got the error when I opened its config via the interface.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Too many Libs