10-10-16, 01:17 AM   #1
Layback_
An Onyxian Warder
AceEvent library and RegisterUnitEvent

Hi all,

As far as I know (or as far as I did a proper research), AceEvent-3.0 does not support RegisterUnitEvent because it utilizes a single frame to manage registered events, and each frame object in WoW can only handle maximum two different units at once.

Thus, such event like PLAYER_SPECIALIZATION_CHANGED to be fired for a player only, the easiest way that I could think of is

Lua Code:
  1. function MyAddOn:PLAYER_SPECIALIZATION_CHANGED(event, ...)
  2.     if ... == "player" then
  4.     end
  5. end

where it still has to calls this function and go through 'if' statement

or, maybe just create an extra frame that only manages unit event...

What would be the best solution here?
10-10-16, 03:27 AM   #2
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Yes, your example is exactly how it worked before RegisterUnitEvent was introduced in MoP.

However, based on the event you chose as an example, I think you may be confused about what RegisterUnitEvent does. "Unit events" are events whose names start with "UNIT_" and whose first argument is a unit token. PLAYER_SPECIALIZATION_CHANGED is not a "unit event", so you can't use RegisterUnitEvent with it anyway. In your example code, your event handler would never actually do anything, because the first argument for PLAYER_SPECIALIZATION_CHANGED is not a unit token; actually, it's not anything, since PLAYER_SPECIALIZATION_CHANGED doesn't fire with any arguments. You would only use RegisterUnitEvent for events like UNIT_AURA or UNIT_HEALTH. For all other events, you just use RegisterEvent.

On a side note, if you're already using a dedicated function for each event, there's no reason to use a vararg (...). It just makes your code harder to read (and adds some so-small-as-to-be-mostly-just-theoretical overhead). You know what arguments the event will receive, so just name them directly in the function definition:

Code:
function MyAddOn:UNIT_SPELLCAST_START(event, unit, spellName, spellRank, lineID, spellID)
    if unit == "player" then

end
end

Last edited by Phanx : 10-10-16 at 03:33 AM.
10-10-16, 04:23 AM   #3
Layback_
An Onyxian Warder
Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
Yes, your example is exactly how it worked before RegisterUnitEvent was introduced in MoP.

However, based on the event you chose as an example, I think you may be confused about what RegisterUnitEvent does. "Unit events" are events whose names start with "UNIT_" and whose first argument is a unit token. PLAYER_SPECIALIZATION_CHANGED is not a "unit event", so you can't use RegisterUnitEvent with it anyway. In your example code, your event handler would never actually do anything, because the first argument for PLAYER_SPECIALIZATION_CHANGED is not a unit token; actually, it's not anything, since PLAYER_SPECIALIZATION_CHANGED doesn't fire with any arguments. You would only use RegisterUnitEvent for events like UNIT_AURA or UNIT_HEALTH. For all other events, you just use RegisterEvent.

On a side note, if you're already using a dedicated function for each event, there's no reason to use a vararg (...). It just makes your code harder to read (and adds some so-small-as-to-be-mostly-just-theoretical overhead). You know what arguments the event will receive, so just name them directly in the function definition:

Code:
function MyAddOn:UNIT_SPELLCAST_START(event, unit, spellName, spellRank, lineID, spellID)
    if unit == "player" then

end
end
Hi Phanx,

Thank you so much for your clarification!

I thought that every single events in WoW can be registered as a unit specific event D:...

Now I won't make the same mistake

Thank you again!!

Last edited by Layback_ : 10-10-16 at 06:54 AM.
10-10-16, 07:04 AM   #4
Ketho
A Pyroguard Emberseer

You probably saw this thread, for reference
https://forums.wowace.com/showthread.php?t=20124
10-10-16, 04:17 PM   #5
Layback_
An Onyxian Warder
Originally Posted by Ketho View Post
You probably saw this thread, for reference
https://forums.wowace.com/showthread.php?t=20124
You are totally right, haha

I've only read Nevcairiel's comment saying that he considered adding RegisterUnitEvent function to AceEvent which he could've not due to conceptual problem.

If I paid more attention to Phanx's comments, I could've not made such a silly mistake

Last edited by Layback_ : 10-10-16 at 04:31 PM.
10-10-16, 10:40 PM   #6
nebula
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
However, based on the event you chose as an example, I think you may be confused about what RegisterUnitEvent does. "Unit events" are events whose names start with "UNIT_" and whose first argument is a unit token. PLAYER_SPECIALIZATION_CHANGED is not a "unit event", so you can't use RegisterUnitEvent with it anyway.
PLAYER_SPECIALIZATION_CHANGED is actually a unit event now, so maybe that is the source of some confusion. I'm not sure when it changed, but it fires for more than just the player and passes the unit.

Anyway, probably overkill for most things, but we create a pseudo unit event handler in BigWigs that basically keeps a pool of frames for each unit and calls RegisterUnitEvent on the corresponding frame. I made a patch for AceEvent way back using this approach, but we decided it was a bit much to add.

Last edited by nebula : 10-11-16 at 01:09 AM.
10-11-16, 06:15 PM   #7
Phanx
Cat.

Even if PLAYER_SPECIALIZATION_CHANGED fires like a unit event now, if you're currently using AceEvent, it's not worth rolling your own system so you can use RegisterUnitEvent with it. Just filter manually, or continue to treat it like a normal event; it's not going to fire enough to matter either way.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » AceEvent library and RegisterUnitEvent