11-24-15, 07:10 PM   #1
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
General Chat

The most significant change, for me, is that they've completely overhauled the nameplate system.

Their UI is now implemented through Blizzard_NamePlates, and there are a number of api functions and events we can use without an OnUpdate function or iterating over WorldFrame's children.

Most intriguingly, each nameplate has a unit ID associated with it ("nameplate1 -> nameplate30"), which allows us to get information directly from a particular unit associated with a given nameplate. This means accurate aura displays, but it also opens up powerful possibilities that weren't previously practical.

There are also multiple new CVars, notably one which prevents tab from targeting units that are not in combat (TargetPriorityCombatLock) and another to prevent it from targeting units behind you (TargetPriorityIncludeBehind).

Oh yeah, and models can set their pitch and roll, so you can presumably rotate them in all directions.

Last edited by semlar : 11-24-15 at 07:15 PM.

11-25-15, 07:07 AM   #2
p3lim
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by semlar View Post
Oh yeah, and models can set their pitch and roll, so you can presumably rotate them in all directions.
Also alpha, with just SetAlpha() on the frame you'd (currently) get issues with models that have effects on them, especially visible on elementals. Hopefully the new :SetModelAlpha() will remedy that.

11-25-15, 08:27 AM   #3
Miiru
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Most intriguingly, each nameplate has a unit ID associated with it ("nameplate1 -> nameplate30"), which allows us to get information directly from a particular unit associated with a given nameplate. This means accurate aura displays, but it also opens up powerful possibilities that weren't previously practical.
Sounds like it'll be possible to finally create a working 'overhead' combat text addon

11-25-15, 02:57 PM   #4
ObbleYeah
A Cobalt Mageweaver
i am really interested to see these new nameplates

11-25-15, 04:01 PM   #5
p3lim
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by ObbleYeah View Post
i am really interested to see these new nameplates
Image.

You could also just check out any stream on twitch.tv, should be plenty still doing quests there.

Also, source code: https://github.com/Gethe/wow-ui-sour...ard_NamePlates

11-25-15, 04:20 PM   #6
MunkDev
A Scalebane Royal Guard

I'm very curious about the derivative of Model used in the new wardrobe collection. It could potentially open up a lot of new creative pathways, since it seems that items can be rendered without a PlayerModel. It is probably the same widget used in the artifact customization pane that was briefly shown at both Gamescom and Blizzcon:

Here's a video of it.

Last edited by MunkDev : 11-25-15 at 04:25 PM.

11-25-15, 04:33 PM   #7
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

PlayerModels have a couple new methods for this, model:SetItem(itemID[, appearanceModID, itemVisualID]) and model:SetItemAppearance(itemAppearanceID[, itemVisualID])

11-25-15, 05:57 PM   #8
Resike
A Pyroguard Emberseer
Originally Posted by MunkDev View Post
I'm very curious about the derivative of Model used in the new wardrobe collection. It could potentially open up a lot of new creative pathways, since it seems that items can be rendered without a PlayerModel. It is probably the same widget used in the artifact customization pane that was briefly shown at both Gamescom and Blizzcon:

Here's a video of it.
You can already do this with some model types, however if they add the functionality to work on every models (without the current hassle) that would be cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egzorLE4h8E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAjdXfCia5w

Last edited by Resike : 11-25-15 at 06:00 PM.

11-26-15, 12:20 AM   #9
MunkDev
A Scalebane Royal Guard

PlayerModels have a couple new methods for this, model:SetItem(itemID[, appearanceModID, itemVisualID]) and model:SetItemAppearance(itemAppearanceID[, itemVisualID])
That's probably it then? I had this idea before to create a much more stylish equipment manager, since the default one is kinda meh. Considering the lighting effects come warlords and now this, it could finally be possible. Yay.

Originally Posted by Resike View Post
You can already do this with some model types, however if they add the functionality to work on every models (without the current hassle) that would be cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egzorLE4h8E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAjdXfCia5w
I don't think this is related. This looks like PlayerModel:SetDisplayInfo(), no?

11-26-15, 03:56 AM   #10
ObbleYeah
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Originally Posted by p3lim View Post
Image.

You could also just check out any stream on twitch.tv, should be plenty still doing quests there.

Also, source code: https://github.com/Gethe/wow-ui-sour...ard_NamePlates
oh thanks, didn't realise the source had been pulled yet. aura tracking included at base level is nice! looking forward to (hopefully) getting beta access and playing around with 'em

11-30-15, 11:57 AM   #11
Resike
A Pyroguard Emberseer
That's probably it then? I had this idea before to create a much more stylish equipment manager, since the default one is kinda meh. Considering the lighting effects come warlords and now this, it could finally be possible. Yay.

I don't think this is related. This looks like PlayerModel:SetDisplayInfo(), no?
Yes, but i don't see any difference between the two model types.

11-30-15, 02:23 PM   #12
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by ObbleYeah View Post
looking forward to (hopefully) getting beta access and playing around with 'em
Just watch for the beta key giveaway after Blizzard enables addons for the beta, which is usually a few months before release. It's a first come, first serve basis and you need to have an up-to-date addon in your uploads list.

12-01-15, 12:57 PM   #13
Gethe
RealUI Developer

Premium Member
Featured
Originally Posted by SDPhantom View Post
Just watch for the beta key giveaway after Blizzard enables addons for the beta, which is usually a few months before release. It's a first come, first serve basis and you need to have an up-to-date addon in your uploads list.
Addons are already enabled on beta, how long it stays like that remains to be seen however.

12-01-15, 03:22 PM   #14
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

They might disable it once it reaches beta. From all I've seen, it's still in alpha.
Then again, who knows what's going to happen this round?

I should get to work on recoding a lot of my addons to update my eligibility for the giveaways. I've been slacking off the last couple content patches.

Last edited by SDPhantom : 12-01-15 at 03:27 PM.

12-03-15, 07:06 AM   #15
p3lim
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Here's a video of it.
The model in that image is in the world itself, when you open up the artifact window at your class hall the camera will fixate so that the artifact on display is on the right side of your screen. You can see that the character is not in the center of the screen as well. Just saw this demonstrated on a stream.

The video is just standard wardrobe stuff.

Edit: as of build 20773, addons are indeed disabled.

Last edited by p3lim : 12-03-15 at 07:08 AM.

12-03-15, 01:40 PM   #16
Resike
A Pyroguard Emberseer
The model in that image is in the world itself, when you open up the artifact window at your class hall the camera will fixate so that the artifact on display is on the right side of your screen. You can see that the character is not in the center of the screen as well. Just saw this demonstrated on a stream.

The video is just standard wardrobe stuff.

Edit: as of build 20773, addons are indeed disabled.
Then it's noting special they just play with the player's camera values, just like when you start a lvl1 character. I'm pretty sure they won't let addons mess with those values.

12-03-15, 04:17 PM   #17
p3lim
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Resike View Post
Then it's noting special they just play with the player's camera values, just like when you start a lvl1 character. I'm pretty sure they won't let addons mess with those values.
The point was that you can't show models of specific items without a character.

12-03-15, 07:17 PM   #18
MunkDev
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Only weapons then I suppose? I haven't tried extensively, but to my knowledge it's pretty hard to achieve the wardrobe look of the weapons with a playermodel as is.

Last edited by MunkDev : 12-03-15 at 07:19 PM.

12-03-15, 07:27 PM   #19
Resike
A Pyroguard Emberseer
I'm not sure about thats gonna change, maye they will just create models to do this for the artifact weapons.

12-04-15, 09:21 PM   #20
EKE
An Aku'mai Servant

my friend did a little change on wow.exe let addons enable, googledrive here : <snip>

if not proper, just delete link.
<snip>

Last edited by Seerah : 12-04-15 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Removed stuff against WoW TOS/EULA.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Archived Beta Forums » Legion Beta archived threads » General Chat