04-18-11, 09:01 AM   #1
frohanss
A Cyclonian
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Savedvariable in "subaddons"

I currently working on a "UI addon pack".
Folders are built like: UIPack -> Submodules

How can i get one of the Submodules to create it's own savedvariable?

If i just thest the Submodule directly from addonfoler everything works perfectly.

I have tryed to add the submodule.toc into the mainaddon.toc.

Is this even posible?
Guess it would be easyer to just putt the submodule directly into AddOns folder, but i truely hate unndeded options under ingame addon's.
04-18-11, 02:45 PM   #2
Cowmonster
A Cyclonian
Originally Posted by frohanss View Post
I currently working on a "UI addon pack".
Folders are built like: UIPack -> Submodules

How can i get one of the Submodules to create it's own savedvariable?

If i just thest the Submodule directly from addonfoler everything works perfectly.

I have tryed to add the submodule.toc into the mainaddon.toc.

Is this even posible?
Guess it would be easyer to just putt the submodule directly into AddOns folder, but i truely hate unndeded options under ingame addon's.
Okay, so you have attempted to nest addon directories? Stop it. The game does not recognize any other .TOC files except for the one .TOC file in the AddOn's root directory. You can place references to all the saved variables in the primary .TOC file as well as references to all the appropriate .XML/.LUA files relative to the primary .TOC file, but you'll have to edit all the addons that use proprietary texture/audio files to reference the file locations appropriately. Personally, I would not use your addon pack if you did that because I would be reliant on you updating the addon pack whenever there was a change by the original addon author of the individual addons that make up your addon pack.

Author of:
Equipped Average Item Level :: ExtraBar :: Killing Blow Emote :: RecordTip
04-18-11, 02:51 PM   #3
Mischback
A Cobalt Mageweaver

What cowmonster said!

If you're not programming all components of the UI, keep your hands off of the addon's saved vars.
You can easily make an addon, which will alter textures/positions/stuff just at the end of the addon loading process, to incorporate all of your changes. Just add all other addons as OptionalDependecies and go and change things.

But I would not consider to do so. When you plan releasing an UI, set it up and deliver the configured saved-var-files with your package.
04-18-11, 04:06 PM   #4
frohanss
A Cyclonian
Maybe expressed myself a bit wrong.

I'm not taking a addon made by others and nest it into my folder.
I have made background panels, chat, minimap, watchframe custimization.
Atm im making 1 for Buff/Debuff. That 1 itself is working nice atm. But, im adding Buttonfacade suport for it. And since buttonfacade doesn't store savedvariables for addons, i need that 1 to write it's own savedvariable.
So infact it's Buttonfacade that needs the savedvariable.

My pack isn't about having loads of "options", tbh i don't plan on making any ingame options at all.
And what's anoyed me over my 6 years in the game is the "insanly big addon screen", and that is the reason im using subfolders.

Altho, i could ofc just make everything into 1 big LUA file and problem solved. But only makes it realy hard to edit and messy.

This addon pack is for personal use and doub't it will be for anyone else. If so it will be only for ppls with some LUA skills.

Ofc im gona use other addons like Unitframes, Raidwarnings and few others. And have absolutely no plans on nesting thos. They will stay like normal.

Last edited by frohanss : 04-18-11 at 04:12 PM.
04-18-11, 04:09 PM   #5
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
No, the addon that supports ButtonFacade takes care of the saved variables. This is the way that it was intended to be handled, and this is how every other addon handles it.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

04-18-11, 04:14 PM   #6
frohanss
A Cyclonian
Originally Posted by Cowmonster View Post
The game does not recognize any other .TOC files except for the one .TOC file in the AddOn's root directory.
Was actualy all i needed to know Thx

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » Savedvariable in "subaddons"