05-30-11, 12:52 AM   #1
Æris
A Murloc Raider
Question Getting Data For Add-ons

Ok this is probably a total Noob question, but I'm trying to figure out exactly how you get the data needed for add-ons. For example, if say I wanted to create an add-on that told you what quest an item was attached to and who to turn it into (such as for Rep. Quests); do I have to construct a database from scratch or can I query the server for the information?

In either case, what is the best way of going about and creating such a database?
06-01-11, 05:50 PM   #2
Æris
A Murloc Raider
Unhappy ?

Anybody...?
06-01-11, 07:00 PM   #3
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Have you had a look through this section of the API?
http://wowprogramming.com/docs/api_categories#quest
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

06-01-11, 07:37 PM   #4
Æris
A Murloc Raider
Still got nothing

I've looked through those as well as through a few books and other parts of the API, but I don't see anything that appears to do what I'm looking for. That is of course I missed something or misunderstood something; which is highly probable.
06-01-11, 10:38 PM   #5
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
You may need to create a database then. Have a look at other addons that do the same or similar functions. (The only one I can think of off the top of my head is LightHeaded - though that definitely has a database for the wowhead comments.)
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

06-02-11, 08:01 AM   #6
Barjack
A Black Drake
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I suspect you will need to create your own list in this case. Another addon that may be useful to you is LibPeriodicTable, which has categories for certain types of item, including quest and reputation turn-in items. I'm pretty sure it's not 100% comprehensive but it's a start. It may also be worth doing some searches on WoWHead. They have some pretty useful types of query you can do when searching for items. Not sure exactly what your needs are, of course, but again it may be useful (e.g. searching for all non-equippable white+ items, those that aren't that aren't marked as quest items, etc. Not sure if these specific queries are available but it's worth looking into).

How difficult this all is probably depends on the scope of your addon. LibPeriodicTable would probably be a very good start if you're just after reputation items, as would browsing the list of factions on WoWHead and looking at the comments (where people will usually helpfully talk about which items can raise that rep), trying to query for specific types of item, etc. If the scope of your idea is to provide this information about all quest-related items, it'll probably be a much greater undertaking.
06-02-11, 08:22 PM   #7
Æris
A Murloc Raider
Thanks for the info, I will look into them.

Well in this example what I would like to try to do is have it so that in the items tool tip is will tell you who's rep it will raise and by how much and them have some sort of either interface or mouse + button press to get the information on where you need to go to to turn it in.
06-02-11, 08:36 PM   #8
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Have a look at Fizzwidget Faction Friend and/or Faction Grinder 2.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Getting Data For Add-ons