06-01-16, 03:35 PM   #1
JWMcQuire
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Post A request on behalf of Carbonite users

I recently read a comment on Carbonite Maps’ Curse page rudely stating that Carbonite is the most “user-UNfriendly addon”(commenter’s words). This person then proceeded to express disappointment in Carbonite since installing the quest module didn’t rectify his/her problem. Other people also commented asking if Carbonite was still being maintained.

I understand that Legion beta is out and as of the last issue before my most recent post on Github Rythal had not yet gained access to Legion beta which would help him decide what needs to be done to update Carbonite for Legion. I understand this completely and hope that Rythal and/or a member of the team will get access soon to help decide the future of Carbonite.

However based on the comments on Curse, not being able to see the quests in Carbonite appears to be a major issue. So I would like to ask if it would be unreasonable to suggest that the latest development updates including my latest pull request be pushed to the master and updated on Curse and the other places where Carbonite is hosted.

I believe this would help people see that for now Carbonite is still in development. It would also give users and us an opportunity to see if latest updates to Carbonite will work as intended.

Finally on a side note, some of the comments on Curse ask about getting Carbonite to play nice with Handynotes, and the (new?) author refers people to Carbonite to provide a fix for that issue.

Best regards, and thank you Rythal and team for your hard work on Carbonite.

McQuire-Greymane, Emissaries of Honor

Last edited by JWMcQuire : 06-02-16 at 11:52 AM. Reason: added "author" to clarify what new.... I was referring to regarding Handynotes
06-01-16, 10:28 PM   #2
ircdirk
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Im hoping Rythal will read this ^^
06-02-16, 11:54 AM   #3
JWMcQuire
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by ircdirk View Post
Im hoping Rythal will read this ^^
Thank you. So do I.
06-04-16, 12:42 PM   #4
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
It's possible to do, I'm still on the fence however if I'm continuing.

I'm in the Beta, and started adding the new content, but the new map is too tiny. Instead of a giant map file like the previous expansions, the one currently loading for broken isles is about the same size as the one for darkmoon faire, which means zoom levels will become a headache even worse then they already are.
06-04-16, 12:52 PM   #5
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured

Here's what I'm talking about in visual form.
06-05-16, 11:41 PM   #6
ircdirk
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
It's possible to do, I'm still on the fence however if I'm continuing.

I'm in the Beta, and started adding the new content, but the new map is too tiny. Instead of a giant map file like the previous expansions, the one currently loading for broken isles is about the same size as the one for darkmoon faire, which means zoom levels will become a headache even worse then they already are.
Thats good news. So we may have new version of Carb on release of Legion. Rythal do u need help? At some stage there will be open beta, for sure, so we might help u with fixing bugs.

As to map size, this is a problem. But maybe we can find a way to do it or maybe there is a need to rewrite some functions?
06-06-16, 03:28 AM   #7
JWMcQuire
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Thank you Rythal for responding. I'm glad to see you have been testing Carbonite in Legion, and hope all works out ok.

I don't know much more about the coding than what I have learned to help with the quests, but hope I can continue to help when open beta is available or at least when Legion is released . . . assuming my computer with its 1.70ghz cpu will be able to handle it.

I do hope you decide to continue. Either way, all the best and thank you for all your hard work on this.

p.s.
I have another pending pull request on Github, that I think should finish up all the remaining Tanaan Jungle quests plus a few other WoD quest editions.

Last edited by JWMcQuire : 06-06-16 at 03:33 AM. Reason: Added post script to comment.
06-20-16, 02:21 AM   #8
WOWVern
A Cyclonian
I'm back. One resource to use is Wowhead for quests. It has up to date quest info and is constantly updated. Quest Completist is a bit on the old side and hasn't been updated since last year, but will be updated in time for Legion. As far as the map problem goes, can't help. A suggestion that might help would be to look at other map/minimap addons to figure out the zoom problem.
06-26-16, 10:30 PM   #9
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
I figured it out and why it wasn't scaling.. I have the broken isles working, the intro scenario works, dalaran works through all it's moving / jumping around... and I was able to do shadow priest artifact without any map errors, class halls however are causing errors which is where I am now... I have yet to figure out if class halls are microdungeons, regular dungeons, overland map area's... I just tried adding the priest one as overland and it's not working, so will try the other's next time i get a chance to code.

I still need to line up the satellite view map with the regular map too.

I really hope more people get into the Beta because I really don't have the time to do every classes artifact and class hall to find out what works and what doesn't :/
06-27-16, 02:57 AM   #10
JWMcQuire
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
I really hope more people get into the Beta because I really don't have the time to do every classes artifact and class hall to find out what works and what doesn't :/
It sounds like a lot of work ahead. So I agree. I'll set up a wowhead account later today which is probably long over due for me, though I don't think I'll make it into beta except by luck. If so, I may need guidance but will do what I can.
06-27-16, 07:44 AM   #11
ircdirk
A Molten Giant

Got Legion but im not in Beta ... maybe later Blizz will send more keys and if im lucky i will be able to help...
07-20-16, 08:08 PM   #12
WOWVern
A Cyclonian
Can we get a pre-patch (7.0.3) update?
07-21-16, 12:21 AM   #13
ircdirk
A Molten Giant

Latest DEV version from github is updated for 7.0.3 => https://github.com/Rythal/Carbonite/archive/DEV.zip

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite: Dev Talk » A request on behalf of Carbonite users